CDZ Trump- Judges and the Senate

The issue wasn’t just that the President was of a different party, but that a Democratic president would be replacing a conservative justice with that of a liberal.

Had Scalia not died and instead Ginsberg retired while Obama was in office, the Republican Senate might have been more inclined to confirm Obama’s nominee.

The same is true for Trump: should Thomas decide to retire when Democrats control the Senate, the Democratic majority would likely confirm Trump’s nominee.

Should Kennedy retire, however, that would be another matter altogether for the Democratic Senate majority.

The same is true for Trump: should Thomas decide to retire when Democrats control the Senate, the Democratic majority would likely confirm Trump’s nominee.

Wrong...the mask is off....if the democrats take control of the Senate they will never confirm a justice appointed by Trump....or any other judge....it will not happen...

Like I said from the beginning- it is very possible that the Democrats will rely upon the precedent set by Republicans and do exactly that.

I just don't know that Democrats acting as corruptly as Republicans is the right thing to do.

Precedent? History didn't start when Trump was elected. Democrats have played this game in the past and hold no moral superiority.

The issue wasn’t just that the President was of a different party, but that a Democratic president would be replacing a conservative justice with that of a liberal.

Had Scalia not died and instead Ginsberg retired while Obama was in office, the Republican Senate might have been more inclined to confirm Obama’s nominee.

Should Kennedy retire, however, that would be another matter altogether for the Democratic Senate majority.

Wrong...the mask is off....if the democrats take control of the Senate they will never confirm a justice appointed by Trump....or any other judge....it will not happen...

Like I said from the beginning- it is very possible that the Democrats will rely upon the precedent set by Republicans and do exactly that.

I just don't know that Democrats acting as corruptly as Republicans is the right thing to do.

Precedent? History didn't start when Trump was elected. Democrats have played this game in the past and hold no moral superiority.

And I never said that Democrats do.

The question still is- should Democrats act as corruptly as the Republicans have if Democrats regain the Senate- or should the Democrats not act like the Republicans- and put the country first?

The question still is- should Democrats act as corruptly as the Republicans have if Democrats regain the Senate- or should the Democrats not act like the Republicans- and put the country first?

The democrats never put the country first......that is why hilary sold our Uranium to Russia.

The democrats broke up the fillibuster rule first.....it should be ended and the Republicans should do it now, because the democrats will do it when they get power back after Trump's second term.

Clinton did not sell Uranium to the Russians.

That is not the truth. That is Alt Right fake news.

And the claim is a distraction from the OP, which is should the Dems, if they take the Senate this fall (a small chance) act like the Pubs and deny any further federal judiciary appts to the Pubs.

Yes, I think the party in power in the Sen should have the right to do away with the filibuster.

The pubs cannot do it for the remainder of the term. Read the Senate rules, 2aguy.

Lets try a thought experiment- lets pretend this scenario happens in the Fall- a couple of Senate seats switch from R to D- and Democrats control the Senate.

Does the Democratic controlled Senate approve Trump nominated Supreme Court Justices?
Or do they decide to wait until the next Presidential election so that the next President can nominate the justices?

What about Federal judges?

I am of mixed mind myself. I of course thought it was irresponsible for the Senate to refuse to consider Obama's nominee for the Supreme Court- but the precedent was set- and certainly Democrats could use it to their own advantage.

On the other hand- is conducting government that way the best for the United States? Because the other side made a corrupt choice- does that mean Democrats should do the same?
You can bet your butt they will.
Sorry but waiting 2 years is wrong.

Sure waiting 2 years is wrong- just like waiting 1 year was wrong.

The precedent was set- 1 year, 2 year- hell we might end up with when the Senate is controlled by the party opposite the President that they refuse to approve any Supreme Court nominee for 4 years.

And yes- that is all wrong- but the precedent was set.

Should the Democrats be noble- and allow the nomination and approval of extreme right wing Justices on principle- i.e. that the Democrats won't stoop to the level of the Republicans?

Or should they block the extreme right wing justices- and act just like the corrupt Republicans?

Perhaps it is time for an amendment.

Something along the lines of "If a nominee is presented Congress can not recess until the nominee is voted on". I feel we'll need a control to keep it from being abused by the Executive Branch but essentially I don't want incumbents who are blocking nominees by not voting to be able to campaign. Congress is there to force some degree of moderation on the nominee not potentially delay them for 4 years.

The democrats never put the country first......that is why hilary sold our Uranium to Russia. .

Off topic- remember this is the CDZ so you are not supposed to be lying.

McConnell issued a statement within hours of Scalia's death there would be no action on a nominee and he did it, more accurately he didn't do his job.

>>>>
No, McConnell did his job. He was brilliant.

Yep- I suspect that when the Democrats control the Senate- they will act just as brilliantly.

They started this by getting rid of the fillbuster for the appointments they wanted.....
Which of course isn't responsive to the thread.

I absolutely understand that the Democrats can act like Republicans when it comes to blocking Justice nominations- and that Democrats could act just like the Republicans and refuse to put up for consideration any Justice Trump would nominate.

The question is whether the Democrats should act like Republicans- by putting politics ahead of their responsibilities to the United States?

Or put our Constitutional system first?

McConnell issued a statement within hours of Scalia's death there would be no action on a nominee and he did it, more accurately he didn't do his job.

>>>>

Yep- I suspect that when the Democrats control the Senate- they will act just as brilliantly.

They started this by getting rid of the fillbuster for the appointments they wanted.....

I absolutely understand that the Democrats can act like Republicans when it comes to blocking Justice nominations- and that Democrats could act just like the Republicans and refuse to put up for consideration any Justice Trump would nominate.

The question is whether the Democrats should act like Republicans- by putting politics ahead of their responsibilities to the United States?

I expect them to act like democrats and attempt to lock themselves into power regardless of the damage it does.

>>>>

I expect them to act like democrats and attempt to lock themselves into power regardless of the damage it does.

So you expect them to act like our current group of Republicans.

Perhaps the Democrats will do exactly that.

But should Democrats copy the actions and motivation of the Republicans?

I fully expect them to copy the actions and motivations democrats have always done and had. They are power obsessed and will stop at nothing to obtain and keep it.

IOW, they'll act like democrats always act. The Republicans have nothing to do with it.

I fully expect them to copy the actions and motivations democrats have always done and had. They are power obsessed and will stop at nothing to obtain and keep it.

IOW, they'll act like democrats always act. The Republicans have nothing to do with it.

And in my opinion- Republicans act like they have always acted- by putting politics ahead of their responsibilities to the United States.

That you believe that the Republicans are any less power obsessed than Democrats is rather hilarious.

Democrats are power obsessed too.

Which really is the theme of this thread- will each side just continue the tit for tat to benefit their political agenda? Or put the needs of the United States first?

And in my opinion- Republicans act like they have always acted- by putting politics ahead of their responsibilities to the United States.

That you believe that the Republicans are any less power obsessed than Democrats is rather hilarious.

Democrats are power obsessed too.

Which really is the theme of this thread- will each side just continue the tit for tat to benefit their political agenda? Or put the needs of the United States first?

Interesting. I didn't indicate that Republicans are more or less power obsessed than are democrats. I simply refuse to limit my responses to the ones desired, and so note that democrats are certainly power obsessed and should be kept out of office to the greatest extent possible.

Forum List

Back