Trump in NH in opiods speech, talking about the second chances for some inmates...

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
No link as it's live.

The main discussion is about the drug issue, but he also spoke again, about the desire to reform some inmates. As he said "giving them a second chance". Even went to far as to say some employers are quite happy with the employees are "good people".

This was something his son-in-law Jared worked on and I support it. As with ALL people in society who due to circumstance or immaturity they make a bad decision in life, not all are life time criminals. It's costly economically and socially to destroy peoples live when they can be excelling in the country.

I know from experience, there are some really bad actors in some police forces and abuses of security apparatuses come at multiple levels and often with little accountability (at least in Caanda). I knew of some guys who went the wrong way even though they were intelligent and even philosophical about life, they were screwed over at a young age and were never "allowed" to recover.

Update: In fairness, Van Jones actually gave him credit for this and other issues. Though he disagrees with the death penalty for the drug pushers.

Last edited:
Having seen the result of incarceration in my family something must be done. I realize that the penal system has gone through multiple phases where rehabilitation has outweighed punishment and vice versa. I also realize that we are in a heavy punishment phase and have been increasingly so for the past 25 years.
Proponents of such will argue in favor of more punishment by citing the clear drop off in crime rates that have coincided with the ever stricter implementation of the policy. I think there are multiple factors which have contributed to the drop, aging pop, economic opportunities.
However, until we see a spike in recidivism it is going to be hard to push through multi million dollar rehabilitation programs.

No link as it's live.

The main discussion is about the drug issue, but he also spoke again, about the desire to reform some inmates. As he said "giving them a second chance". Even went to far as to say some employers are quite happy with the employees are "good people".

This was something his son-in-law Jared worked on and I support it. As with ALL people in society who due to circumstance or immaturity they make a bad decision in life, not all are life time criminals. It's costly economically and socially to destroy peoples live when they can be excelling in the country.

I know from experience, there are some really bad actors in some police forces. I knew of some guys who went the wrong way even though they were intelligent and even philosophical about life, they were screwed over at a young age and were never "allowed" to recover.

Update: In fairness, Van Jones actually gave him credit for this and other issues. Though he disagrees with the death penalty for the drug pushers.
I think Van Jones seems pretty fair. From what I've seen, which isn't a whole lot. The death sentence for dealers depends on the dealer. A lot of dealers are selling dope to afford their own habits. They aren't worthy of a death sentence, in my book.

Having seen the result of incarceration in my family something must be done. I realize that the penal system has gone through multiple phases where rehabilitation has outweighed punishment and vice versa. I also realize that we are in a heavy punishment phase and have been increasingly so for the past 25 years.
Proponents of such will argue in favor of more punishment by citing the clear drop off in crime rates that have coincided with the ever stricter implementation of the policy. I think there are multiple factors which have contributed to the drop, aging pop, economic opportunities.
However, until we see a spike in recidivism it is going to be hard to push through multi million dollar rehabilitation programs.
I worked in a prison with an active work release program, and it has helped bring down recidivism more than anything else. A lot of employers in the area have come to rely on inmates in their workforce and they hire some of them when they are released. At least, even if the inmate goes back to another part of the state when he is released, he has a good reference in his pocket. The more employers realize that an inmate has served his time and deserves a chance, the better. A guy who gets out of prison and can't get work....what do you think he will do? We all gotta survive.

I worked in a prison with an active work release program, and it has helped bring down recidivism more than anything else. A lot of employers in the area have come to rely on inmates in their workforce and they hire some of them when they are released. At least, even if the inmate goes back to another part of the state when he is released, he has a good reference in his pocket. The more employers realize that an inmate has served his time and deserves a chance, the better. A guy who gets out of prison and can't get work....what do you think he will do? We all gotta survive.
Yes...I agree. I have seen the benefit of work release. Some of these folks learn valuable trades that they can carry forward. Our society often unfairly stigmatizes people long after their 'debt' has been paid. Especially an 18-20 year old 'kid' who messes up and gets in a bad situation where they have to do time. None of us are who were at 20...thankfully! Certain crimes withstanding, people should not be judged perpetually.

Forum List

Back