Trump gives a decent speech - SOTU

bill718

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2016
As a left leaning Independent I must say the State of the Union speech was a decent one, not great, but much improved from Trump's earlier ones. Trump strayed from the truth from time to time, but generally got his facts right. Frankly I was disappointed in the Democratic response, the left wing was saying a lot of the right things, but their message was fragmented and split among too many responders. I guess Bill Clinton was right in saying "Getting 50 Democrats to agree on a course of action is like herding cats"

Oh well, just an Independent's viewpoint here.
:bye1:

Yeah somebody wrote a decent speech for him to read from a teleprompter; but Trump is still Trump. He’ll be back to tweeting and insulting Democrats, half of Americans and Latinos in no time.

As a left leaning Independent I must say the State of the Union speech was a decent one, not great, but much improved from Trump's earlier ones.

Personally I don't believe the Donald is capable of giving a "great" speech, he just doesn't have any talent at "speechifying", so during his Administration one might expect that the lions share of any credit should generally go to the speech writer(s) not the speech giver. To his credit though, I'm sure he had input and editorial approval for that speech and he refrained from descending into his usual pettiness and balderdash. :dunno:

As a left leaning Independent I must say the State of the Union speech was a decent one, not great, but much improved from Trump's earlier ones. Trump strayed from the truth from time to time, but generally got his facts right. Frankly I was disappointed in the Democratic response, the left wing was saying a lot of the right things, but their message was fragmented and split among too many responders. I guess Bill Clinton was right in saying "Getting 50 Democrats to agree on a course of action is like herding cats"

I agree it was a decent, sometimes good even, speech. But I tend to compare what he says with what he's done, so I don't really trust him. Awaiting tweet slamming whoever didn't kiss his butt today!

Donald Trump is not and never has been a politician. To me that is exactly why he is such an important President. We have grown accustomed to slick, polished, career politicians and think that is what a President should be. I think we pay far too much attention to words and not near enough attention to actions. His SOTU speech was very good but that doesn't matter. Following through on what he said is what matters.

I looked at my wife and said just about the same thing but added that someone must have given him some drugs to stay on script and when he got back to tweeting would undo just about everything he said. Now if someone would take that damn phone away so we all could believe more than a day or two.

Yeah somebody wrote a decent speech for him to read from a teleprompter; but Trump is still Trump. He’ll be back to tweeting and insulting Democrats, half of Americans and Latinos in no time.

Amen! He went Darth Vader in the second part of his "prepared" speech.

Amen! He went Darth Vader in the second part of his "prepared" speech.
Seriously. When I said, “decent speech”, I meant that someone took the time to write a speech that hit on some key points and pull at the heart strings of Americans. That was of course before he started throwing out red meat to his base about brown people and nukes

"Beautiful clean coal…"???

Note to POTUS… no one is buying coal, clean or dirty, as energy plants have converted to natural gas.

They want the American tax payer to bail out coal, pay them to work, then U.S. Treasury buys their coal and does what with it…???
The US coal industry is going out, not with a whimper, but with a burst of rent-seeking

In subsequent meetings with Trump, Justice pushed a rather brazen proposal: a federal subsidy of $15 for every ton of Eastern coal burned in a US coal plant. (To his constituents, he called this request for $4.5 billion in taxpayer handouts a “new, bold idea to put coal miners back to work.”)

Sit with that for a minute. The power sector is abandoning Appalachian coal because Western coal (from the Powder River Basin in Montana and Wyoming) is cheap and natural gas and renewables are even cheaper. So Justice wants federal taxpayers to pay coal plants to keep burning it. He wants a negative carbon tax. A pollution subsidy.

Haters gonna hate

Platform-2018-600-LI.jpg

Branco Cartoon - Love Trumps Hate

I’m also an independent who leans a little towards the left. I gave his speech an A+. :)

New Topics

Forum List

Back