Trump endorses amnesty for illegal aliens!

Is Illegal Immigration a Crime Improper Entry v. Unlawful Presence - FindLaw Blotter

Improper Entry Is a Crime

To be clear, the most common crime associated with illegal immigration is likely improper entry. Under federal criminal law, it is misdemeanor for an alien (i.e., a non-citizen) to:

• Enter or attempt to enter the United States at any time or place other than designated by immigration officers;
  • Elude examination or inspection by immigration officers; or
  • Attempt to enter or obtain entry to the United States by willfully concealing, falsifying, or misrepresenting material facts.
The punishment under this federal law is no more than six months of incarceration and up to $250 in civil penalties for each illegal entry. These acts of improper entry -- including the mythic "border jumping" -- are criminal acts associated with illegally immigrating to the United States.

Like all other criminal charges in the United States, improper entry must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt in order to convict.

Unlawful Presence Is Not a Crime

Some may assume that all immigrants who are in the United States without legal status must have committed improper entry. This simply isn't the case. Many foreign nationals legally enter the country on a valid work or travel visa, but fail to exit before their visa expires for a variety of reasons.

But mere unlawful presence in the country is not a crime. It is a violation of federal immigration law to remain in the country without legal authorization, but this violation is punishable by civil penalties, not criminal. Chief among these civil penalties is deportation or removal, where an unlawful resident may be detained and removed from the country. Unlawful presence can also have negative consequences for a resident who may seek to gain re-entry into the United States, or permanent residency.

Both improper entry and unlawful presence should be avoided by any immigrant to the United States, but an illegal alien cannot be criminally charged or incarcerated simply for being undocumented. To learn more, check out FindLaw's section on Immigration Law.

As for your approval to kill all Muslims. You are one fucked up individual.
The most common crime associated with illegal aliens...is being illegal aliens? Wow, that is pretty deep. We are on point of a deep dark fact here, people, the violation of a federal law IS a crime. Yes, by that very definition, it is, thank you for pointing that out.
Yeah well I was just pointing out that illegal entry is just a minor crime, aka. misdemeanor. And overstaying a legal visa.. is not even a misdemeanor. It's just a civil offense that may require deportation or removal.. Of course if the potus says don't remove them, then they can stay.
Violating immigration law, from what I am told is a federal offence, I am not a lawyer and have no clue about statutory crimes or to what degree immigration violation truly IS. and my friend, THAT is the problem. We should know, and, on top of that, immigration scofflaws should be punished to the fullest extent of the law, period. Not minimized and given amnesty, that is part of the problem here.
Well a part of the problem is people assume it's a serious crime. But really the worst that can happen is a small fine or a small stint in jail followed by being sent home. But it's not an offense that labels you a criminal so to speak. It's not a felony. Make the two types of illegal immigration a felony, make them serious crimes and things will change dramatically.

Right now it's akin to a parking violation.
The most common crime associated with illegal aliens...is being illegal aliens? Wow, that is pretty deep. We are on point of a deep dark fact here, people, the violation of a federal law IS a crime. Yes, by that very definition, it is, thank you for pointing that out.
Yeah well I was just pointing out that illegal entry is just a minor crime, aka. misdemeanor. And overstaying a legal visa.. is not even a misdemeanor. It's just a civil offense that may require deportation or removal.. Of course if the potus says don't remove them, then they can stay.
Violating immigration law, from what I am told is a federal offence, I am not a lawyer and have no clue about statutory crimes or to what degree immigration violation truly IS. and my friend, THAT is the problem. We should know, and, on top of that, immigration scofflaws should be punished to the fullest extent of the law, period. Not minimized and given amnesty, that is part of the problem here.
Violating immigration law, from what I am told is a federal offence,
not according to jones....you havent broken any laws unless you get caught and go before a judge....so by his logic if i shoplift and make it out of the store without getting caught i did not steal....
not according to jones....you havent broken any laws unless you get caught and go before a judge....so by his logic if i shoplift and make it out of the store without getting caught i did not steal....
I actually was so concerned, I actually went to a local INS office and spoke to them about this back in 1993 or whatever. All I got was obfuscations and sidestepping. The state and feds all had contradictory laws, jurisdictional conflicts, all sorts of BULLSH*T. .But no reasons whatsoever WHY they couldn't enforce immigration laws. Why? I don't get that ambiguity enforcing ANY OTHER law. Something isn't adding up here.
Not sure to what degree violating immigration law is, Hell, when even a INS Agent can't say what laws are being broken, Federal or state, let alone specific codes.that says a lot here. Illegal aliens aren't using all this ambiguity to insinuate themselves like they never did anything wrong, WOULD they DO that? Like a smoke screen or something? Na. They are way to honest, avoiding immigration laws and such, Why would they stoop to that level of dishonesty?
Not sure where the confusion is, I provided links to the federal laws. Do you need links to state laws?

Illegal Reentry into the U.S. After Removal Crime and Punishment - FindLaw

"After an alien has been legally "removed" from the United States, federal criminal law makes it a FELONY for that alien to reenter (or be found in) the country without approval of the government.
True ... but still look at the minimum punishment... oh wait there is none. Sure he has a felony on his record but the minimum punishment is no fine and no time. They normally just get a slap on the wrist and let go again.

Forum List

Back