Trump Chooses “Mad Dog” Mattis for Pentagon Chief

American_Jihad

Flaming Libs/Koranimals
May 1, 2012
Gulf of Mex 26.609, -82.220
FPM
Leftists foam at the mouth and gnash their teeth.
December 2, 2016
Matthew Vadum

dfg.jpg

Obama foe and retired Marine Corps Gen. James "Mad Dog" Mattis will be the nation’s new Secretary of Defense if President-elect Donald Trump gets his way.

“I will not tell you that one of our great, great generals — don’t let it outside of this room,” an impish Trump told a Cincinnati audience last night. “We are going to appoint 'Mad Dog' Mattis as our secretary of defense … but we are not announcing it until Monday, so don’t tell anyone. He’s great.”

"They say he’s the closest thing to Gen. George Patton that we have and it’s about time."

The president-elect previously praised Mattis. On Nov. 20 he tweeted, “General James ‘Mad Dog’ Mattis, who is being considered for Secretary of Defense, was very impressive yesterday. A true General's General!”

James Norman Mattis was born Sept. 8, 1950 in Pullman, Washington. He is a political Independent. In addition to the “Mad Dog” moniker, the nickname “Warrior Monk” has been applied to him. His reported radio call sign was "Chaos." Mattis co-wrote the military's counterinsurgency manual along with retired Army Gen. David Petraeus who is also under consideration for a post in Trump’s cabinet.

Eminently quotable, he is known for his many “Mattis-isms.” Among them are "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet," and "I don't lose any sleep at night over the potential for failure. I cannot even spell the word."

Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman John McCain (R-Ariz.) hailed the cabinet selection, describing Mattis as “without a doubt one of the finest military officers of his generation and an extraordinary leader who inspires a rare and special admiration of his troops.”

Mattis “has a clear understanding of the many challenges facing the Department of Defense, the U.S. military, and our national security,” and the nation “will be fortunate to have General Mattis in its service once again.”

CNN spoke to Arnold Punaro, a former staff member of the Senate Armed Services Committee who helped write the current law. He said that a waiver from both houses of Congress shouldn’t be a problem.

"He would not in any way undermine or erode civilian control of the military, and it would be hard to find someone who would be less likely to be pushed around by the military and he is now a civilian and would be firmly in charge," said Punaro, adding Mattis was a "stellar choice."

Another retired general seemed to agree with Punaro.

"Waivers are waivers," said retired Army Lt. Gen. Mick Bednarek, who was senior U.S. military adviser in Iraq until last year. "In the case of Jim Mattis, that would not be too contentious. The real issue is his views and perspectives."

If Senate Democrats believe fighting the Mattis nomination will benefit the Left, history suggests they’ll do it and make excuses up for their behavior as they go along.

Way to go...

Last edited:
FPM
December 2, 2016
Matthew Vadum

dfg.jpg

Obama foe and retired Marine Corps Gen. James "Mad Dog" Mattis will be the nation’s new Secretary of Defense if President-elect Donald Trump gets his way.

“I will not tell you that one of our great, great generals — don’t let it outside of this room,” an impish Trump told a Cincinnati audience last night. “We are going to appoint 'Mad Dog' Mattis as our secretary of defense … but we are not announcing it until Monday, so don’t tell anyone. He’s great.”

"They say he’s the closest thing to Gen. George Patton that we have and it’s about time."

The president-elect previously praised Mattis. On Nov. 20 he tweeted, “General James ‘Mad Dog’ Mattis, who is being considered for Secretary of Defense, was very impressive yesterday. A true General's General!”

James Norman Mattis was born Sept. 8, 1950 in Pullman, Washington. He is a political Independent. In addition to the “Mad Dog” moniker, the nickname “Warrior Monk” has been applied to him. His reported radio call sign was "Chaos." Mattis co-wrote the military's counterinsurgency manual along with retired Army Gen. David Petraeus who is also under consideration for a post in Trump’s cabinet.

Eminently quotable, he is known for his many “Mattis-isms.” Among them are "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet," and "I don't lose any sleep at night over the potential for failure. I cannot even spell the word."

Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman John McCain (R-Ariz.) hailed the cabinet selection, describing Mattis as “without a doubt one of the finest military officers of his generation and an extraordinary leader who inspires a rare and special admiration of his troops.”

Mattis “has a clear understanding of the many challenges facing the Department of Defense, the U.S. military, and our national security,” and the nation “will be fortunate to have General Mattis in its service once again.”

CNN spoke to Arnold Punaro, a former staff member of the Senate Armed Services Committee who helped write the current law. He said that a waiver from both houses of Congress shouldn’t be a problem.

"He would not in any way undermine or erode civilian control of the military, and it would be hard to find someone who would be less likely to be pushed around by the military and he is now a civilian and would be firmly in charge," said Punaro, adding Mattis was a "stellar choice."

"Waivers are waivers," said retired Army Lt. Gen. Mick Bednarek, who was senior U.S. military adviser in Iraq until last year. "In the case of Jim Mattis, that would not be too contentious. The real issue is his views and perspectives."

If Senate Democrats believe fighting the Mattis nomination will benefit the Left, history suggests they’ll do it and make excuses up for their behavior as they go along.

Way to go...

You'll love this thread
Ready For New Stiff Spine In Foreign Policy???

Trump gonna have 3 generals on his staff...
icon_wink.gif

Why Officers Can't Easily Become Pentagon Heads
Dec 02, 2016 | WASHINGTON — Retired Marine Gen. James Mattis will need more than the usual Senate confirmation before being able to take office.
Retired Marine Gen. James Mattis, President-elect Donald Trump's pick for defense secretary, will need more than the usual Senate confirmation before being able to take office. U.S. law states that a nominee for defense secretary must have been out of the active-duty military for seven years. Mattis, 66, retired in 2013 after serving as the commander of the U.S. Central Command. The requirement was originally set by law in 1947, when Congress established a minimum of 10 years out of active duty. It was changed to seven years in 2008. But there's a way around that restriction: Congress can approve a law bypassing it. That's what will have to be done for Mattis. A look at why the limitation exists:

WHY CIVILIAN CONTROL OF THE MILITARY?

Civilian control of the military is ingrained in American history and was set in stone in the U.S. Constitution, which decrees that the president "shall be the commander in chief." It grants Congress the power to raise and support armies. Congress also has the authority to declare war, but as recent conflicts in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya and Syria have shown, the U.S. military can wage combat without a formal declaration of war. The principle of civilian control of the military is anchored in the belief in a balance of power. It sets the U.S. and other democracies apart from countries where militaries plot coups to overturn governments. It ensures, said Spencer Meredith, an associate professor at the National Defense University, that the military is just one tool an administration can use in conflict so it isn't fighting constant and even needless wars.

james-mattis-testifies-1500-02-dec-2016-ts600.jpeg

In this March 5, 2013, file photo, then-Marine Gen. James Mattis, commander, U.S. Central Command, testifies on Capitol Hill in Washington.​

Presidents have rebuked military commanders who were seen as wading into political waters. Most famously, President Harry S. Truman fired Gen. Douglas MacArthur in 1951, during the Korean War, for publicly proposing wider action against the Chinese army than Truman considered wise or safe. As recently as 2010, President Barack Obama cited the tenet when he fired Gen. Stanley McChrystal after a Rolling Stone magazine profile anonymously quoted people around him criticizing members of Obama's national security team. A Pentagon inquiry later cleared McChrystal of wrongdoing.

MILITARY SERVICE

Of the 25 men who have served as secretary of the modern Defense Department, only seven never served in the military, including the current Pentagon chief, Ash Carter. One served only as an enlisted military member: Chuck Hagel, who received two Purple Hearts for his service in Vietnam. Only one exception to the law requiring a gap after military service has been approved. Gen. George Marshall was appointed defense secretary in 1950 by Truman, who was looking for a highly respected leader to take over as the Korean war ramped up. Marshall needed a special law passed because he had not been out of the military for 10 years, as then required. A Pentagon history says Marshall's appointment was quickly approved, but questions were raised by some senators about a military leader holding a job intended for a civilian.

POLITICS AND THE MILITARY

I was just listening to an interview with a Duke professor about this. Pretty interesting stuff. There is cause for concern about his "recent" retirement and the civilian led military. He will have to display his understanding of the concept. Apparently he co-edited a book on military civilian relations. One would think he would have a decent grasp on the idea. I confess I haven't read the book though. Another aspect to his selection is the fact that so many national security experts signed an open letter opposing President-elect Trump the pool of available people was a lot smaller than a more conventional President would have. General Mattis is one of the best choices given the situation. I don't see much of problem for the exemption or nomination at the moment. Then again something could always come up in the vetting process. Guess we have to wait and see.

Mattis' Appointment Would Require Special Approval From Congress

I was just listening to an interview with a Duke professor about this. Pretty interesting stuff. There is cause for concern about his "recent" retirement and the civilian led military. He will have to display his understanding of the concept. Apparently he co-edited a book on military civilian relations. One would think he would have a decent grasp on the idea. I confess I haven't read the book though. Another aspect to his selection is the fact that so many national security experts signed an open letter opposing President-elect Trump the pool of available people was a lot smaller than a more conventional President would have. General Mattis is one of the best choices given the situation. I don't see much of problem for the exemption or nomination at the moment. Then again something could always come up in the vetting process. Guess we have to wait and see.

It's the same old politics.
Mad Dog is like Patton was.
Dems hated Patton back then because he didn't play politics with War.
Patton wanted & did what was best for our Country. Just like Mad Dog.
The Dems will do the same old dog and pony show.
Lets see if the stupid Republicans fall for it again.

FPM
December 2, 2016
Matthew Vadum

dfg.jpg

Way to go...

Mad Dog needs to be careful. He's writing more checks than his ass can pass. Mattis may want WW3 and draft will have to be called up!!!!!

Patton is an out dated relic.....ill-suited for the 21st Century battlefield. Something tells me Mattis maybe in the same fold. The only thing Mattis is good for is getting more service men and women KILLED.

Patton is an out dated relic.....ill-suited for the 21st Century battlefield. Something tells me Mattis maybe in the same fold. The only thing Mattis is good for is getting more service men and women KILLED.

Patton would have loved the new tecnological war equipment.
Especially drones.
Fighting wars with the micro management of Washington is what gets them killed.
Patton would have wiped them out within 2 weeks without the political correct crowd interferance.

Last edited:

Especially drones.
Patton would have wiped them out within 2 weeks without the political correct crowd interferance.
Patton would have fired for insubordination or worse brought up for war crimes in the 21st Century.

Especially drones.
Patton would have fired for insubordination or worse brought up for war crimes in the 21st Century.

Yes he would have under this mico managed adminstration.
They think they know better ,with no experiance in hardly anything in the real world.

Good choice if the Congress makes an exception to the 7 year rule.

Schumer can stop this with a filibuster if he wants.

Personally I think the 7 year rule is a good rule.

Especially drones.

They think they know better ,with no experiance in hardly anything in the real world.
Washington D.C. must micro-manage. We have an All Volunteer Military which equals not enough troops because we don't have nor want to see the return of the DRAFT!!! No one wants to go to wars of choice! Besides, who would be afraid of military made up of volunteers!!!!!!

Especially drones.

Washington D.C. must micro-manage. We have an All Volunteer Military which equals not enough troops because we don't have nor want to see the return of the DRAFT!!! No one wants to go to wars of choice! Besides, who would be afraid of military made up of volunteers!!!!!!

That Ideology is what gets our volunteer military troops killed.

Especially drones.

No one is afraid of our GOP predominately voting military!!!! What gets our military service members killed is getting sent into unnecessary fool hardy wars of choice!!!!

Especially drones.

Professional volunteer troops are ministers of death praying for war.

It is the draftee's that are worthless.

Especially drones.

Meh! Smart weapons won't make an All volunteer service member to be safe nor successful. Besides the M.E. has grown tired of GOP voting service members invading and occuping their lands.

Especially drones.

Last time anyone checked.......Professional volunteers in the military are not bullet proof. The M.E. were happy when Trump and the GOP won the election because the M.D. knows the GOP loves using American troops as cannon fodder!

Last time anyone checked.......Professional volunteers in the military are not bullet proof. The M.E. were happy when Trump and the GOP won the election because the M.D. knows the GOP loves using American troops as cannon fodder!
Free_Pass01.gif

You need t.all the help you can get..

Forum List

Back