Trump calls for cease-fire in northern Syria and imposes sanctions on Turkey

does this man understand what he is doing ? its just mess , pure mess or this what putin is telling him to do ?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...0e3_story.html
related Trump: Let Napoleon Bonaparte rescue Kurds
Trump has a cease fire in place. Obama was in Syria for 7 years and more than a half million people died and he never got a cease fire. Trump laid down an ultimatium, stuck with it, and 72 hours later, the shooting finally stops, the dying stops and you ask "does this man understand what he is doing?"

How the media blew the Syria story

This afternoon at 2, President Donald John Trump announced Erdogan agreed to a cease-fire along the Syrian border.

President Trump knew what he was doing and succeeded where his predecessors had failed. He removed American troops in order to bring peace to a section of the Middle East. He used tariffs, not soldiers, to force the issue.

The Washington press corps covering President Trump is incompetent and corrupt as it violates the public trust by deliberately trying to sabotage the man the American people elected president.

President Trump's mediation of the Kurd-Turk dispute is award-worthy. The press blew the story by attacking our president.

Getting President Trump right is the easiest thing in the world to do. Just accept that he is better informed than the press, and he knows what he is doing.

But the media is a bunch of garbage peddlers. You have your garbage collectors who help keep America clean and safe, and then you have your garbage producers at CNN and the like.

The fog of war expelled by the American media was a historic embarrassment to anyone who is now or has ever been a member of the Fourth Estate. Obamanauts -- including generals -- were allowed to say whatever they wanted to try to undermine President Trump's peace efforts without bothering (in most cases) to allow the Trump administration to respond.

Crazy talk of genocide filled the cable airwaves.

ABC was caught using training footage from Kentucky to depict a non-existent "Slaughter in Syria."

Has it issued an on-air apology or correction yet?

Now that a deal has been cut, I expect the media to take potshots at it before dropping the subject entirely. Once again, President Trump has achieved the impossible and the media will deny him credit because they did everything they could to prevent peace from breaking out.

Let us take a stroll down memory lane before it is memory-holed.

October 7: LIARS

EHGoM-FXYAEqQ3q

October 8: LIARS

EHGpiMdWkAAcm_V

The left's instant elevation of Kurds above American soldiers -- who the elitists see as expendable -- was instantaneous. For a moment there, it looked like the Kurds would be revered more than illegal aliens. But as Kurds cannot vote Democrat in 2020, they fell back in the line.

Tariffs give President Trump the leverage to keep Erdogan in line. We know the reports of savagery against Kurds are false because ABC used Fake Footage (from a Kentucky video no less) to show the "Slaughter in Syria," as the network put it.

President Trump can collapse Turkey's economy in a New York minute, and he flashed that power last year. If Erdogan acts up, The Donald will twist his arm like he did last summer.

The president sent a Don't Be A Fool letter to Erdogan last week. He really said that. Don't be a fool. While the press reported that Erdogan threw the letter in the trash, Pence and Pompeo are in Turkey today talking turkey.

He used tariffs, not soldiers, to force the issue.
He used nothing, including sanctions. Erdogan wanted a buffer zone on Syrian soil that happens to be a Kurdish enclave. If Kurds stay they have to disarm and trust Erdogan and his Arab militias who are peppered with both ISIS and AlQuaeda. Otherwise the Kurds have to relocate to some vague 'other place'. Pelosi is right saying that all roads leave to Russia. Russia aligns with Syria so they got gifted too, in addition to a new customer for Russian weapons, the Turks. And somehow the Iranians are strengthened in the process.

What did America get? Or should I ask, what did Trump, owner of several businesses in Turkey, get? And how safe is Incirlik considering the trustworthiness of Erdogan. And while Trump takes credit now for the nothingburger America got, who will he blame when it falls apart. That's rhetorical..we all know who.

When is a ceasefire not a ceasefire? There are multiple answers to that questions.

When only Mike Pence and Trump say it is a ceasefire. US Vice President Mike Pence announced in Turkey today that he and Turkish President Erdogan agreed to a ceasefire halting Turkey's incursion into northern Syria.

When Pence said Turkey "will pause Operation Peace Spring in order to allow for the withdrawal of (Kurdish) YPG forces from the safe zone for 120 hours." In other words, five days to allow the Kurds to leave their land, exactly what Erdogan wanted when he began killing Kurds and occupying their territory after Trump allowed him to do so.

When Trump's comments are laughable. Understand, on Oct. 5th, he opened the door for Turkey to slaughter the Kurds, America's ally, and remove them from the safe zone. "Turkey will soon be moving forward with its long-planned operation into Northern Syria,” the White House said in a statement late on Oct. 5. “The United States Armed Forces will not support or be involved in the operation, and United States forces will no longer be in the immediate area."

"When those guns start shooting, they tend to do things, but I will tell you, on behalf of the United States I want to thank Turkey, I want to thank all of the people that have gotten together and made this happen," Trump said. "I want to thank everybody. And the other thing I want to thank as a group, I want to thank the Kurds, because they were incredibly happy with this solution. This is a solution that really -- well it saved their lives, frankly. It saved their lives," Trump said. Was Trump joking?

The "unilateral invasion" of northern Syria has resulted in widespread casualties and destruction, US Defense Secretary Mark Esper has said. "Due to Turkey's irresponsible actions, the risk to US forces in northeast Syria has reached an unacceptable level," Esper added.

"But I will tell you, on behalf of the United States I want to thank Turkey," Trump said. I have no words.

When one party to the negotiations says it is not a ceasefire. The Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said during a televised press conference Thursday that the agreement "is not a ceasefire."

"We will pause the operation for 120 hours in order for the terrorists to leave," Cavusoglu said, referring to the Kurds. "We will only stop the operation if our conditions are met."

When it is a surrender, not a ceasefire. US Special Envoy for Syria James Jeffrey, who participated in the talks in Ankara, told reporters, "The Turkish army has seized a great deal of territory in a very short period of time." Pence said the Turks were allowing the Kurds to flee their land. He and Cavusoglu seem to agree on that point. With Trump's help, sounds like a win/win for the Turks.

By the way, the deal gives Turkey relief from sanctions the administration had imposed.

The deal appears to secure Turkey most of its military objectives, forcing America's one-time allies in the fight against ISIS to cede a vast swath of territory. The deal meant the US was "validating what Turkey did and allowing them to annex a portion of Syria and displace the Kurdish population."

Only the Trump administration would call it a ceasefire when an American ally is forced to flee its own land and is given five days to do so.

He used nothing, including sanctions.
He obtained the cease-fire in Syria that eluded Obama for 7 years, simply by threatening sanctions.
... Erdogan wanted a buffer zone on Syrian soil that happens to be a Kurdish enclave....
It's not a Kurdish enclave, it's sovereign Syrian territory.
... If Kurds stay they have to disarm and trust Erdogan and his Arab militias who are peppered with both ISIS and AlQuaeda. Otherwise the Kurds have to relocate to some vague 'other place'...
If the Kurds want to be within 20 miles of the Turkish border, they will have to fight the Turks to do so.
... Pelosi is right saying that all roads leave to Russia. Russia aligns with Syria so they got gifted too, in addition to a new customer for Russian weapons, the Turks....
Pelosi is a babbling idiot that mouths phrases she doesn't fully understand. Turkey is at odds with the Russian backed Assad.
... What did America get?...
Our troops out of harms way and finally, a ceasefire in Syria after 9 years of fighting and the loss of a half million lives. That you're fine with, but US troops out of harms way and a ceasefire, that you can't abide.

If the Congress wants to authorize a war against a NATO ally, then they should do so.

If you want to pick up a rifle, or send your son or daughter to Syria to fight the Turks for the right of the Kurds to remained armed in the 20 mile buffer zone, then get a ticket and go.

Had Trump ended up in an unauthorized shooting war with a NATO ally, we all know how you folks would have responded. You guys fool no one.

I appreciate Trump's honesty at finding himself with an inherited war and when he has the solemn duty of informing parents that their children were killed, that it wasn't clear to him that this tremendous sacrifice, the most any parent could give their country really was necessary and essential to the security of the United States, SO HE WITHDREW! How many tens of thousands would have been saved if LBJ had been capable of this level of honest self-reflection.

Last edited:
He obtained the cease-fire in Syria that eluded Obama for 7 years, simply by threatening sanctions.
... Erdogan wanted a buffer zone on Syrian soil that happens to be a Kurdish enclave....
... If Kurds stay they have to disarm and trust Erdogan and his Arab militias who are peppered with both ISIS and AlQuaeda. Otherwise the Kurds have to relocate to some vague 'other place'...
If the Kurds want to be within 20 miles of the Turkish border, they will have to fight the Turks to do so.
... Pelosi is right saying that all roads leave to Russia. Russia aligns with Syria so they got gifted too, in addition to a new customer for Russian weapons, the Turks....
Pelosi is a babbling idiot that mouths phrases she doesn't fully understand. Turkey is at odds with the Russian backed Assad.
Our troops out of harms way and finally, a ceasefire in Syria after 9 years of fighting and the loss of a half million lives. That you're fine with, but US troops out of harms way and a ceasefire, that you can't abide.

If the Congress wants to authorize a war against a NATO ally, then they should do so.

If you want to pick up a rifle, or send your son or daughter to Syria to fight the Turks for the right of the Kurds to remained armed in the 20 mile buffer zone, then get a ticket and go.

Had Trump ended up in an unauthorized shooting war with a NATO ally, we all know how you folks would have responded. You guys fool no one.

I appreciate Trump's honesty at finding himself with an inherited war and when he has the solemn duty of informing parents that their children were killed, that it wasn't clear to him that this tremendous sacrifice, the most any parent could give their country really was necessary and essential to the security of the United States, SO HE WITHDREW! How many tens of thousands would have been saved if LBJ had been capable of this level of honest self-reflection.
Zorro, I hope you remember this post when the crap hits the fan. This betrayal, this cave-in, this cut & run, will ripple into places we haven't yet noticed, and I WILL say "I told you so!" if we still have a functioning internet. We shouldn't have been there is a questionable statement since our presence held back a shooting war. But even if true..we WERE there, and we gave our word. This betrayal will have repercussions not yet thought of. Our word is mud.

Zorro, I hope you remember this post when the crap hits the fan. This betrayal, this cave-in, this cut & run, will ripple into places we haven't yet noticed, and I WILL say "I told you so!" if we still have a functioning internet...
Baseless hysteria.
... We shouldn't have been there is a questionable statement since our presence held back a shooting war....
50 US troops are going to hold back 10,000 Turkish troops? Bullshit, that's a bluff, and if it doesn't work they are all dead. When you are ready to use yourself, or YOUR son or daughter in a bluff like that, let me know. It's not you that will call their parents, it's The President, and he said hell no and quickly moved them to safety.

The leader of Turkey is not a cautious man, he is reckless. His security beat US Protesters on a US Street on his orders. He told Russia one time to keep their craft stay out of his airspace and when they violated, he promptly shot them down.
... we WERE there, and we gave our word...
Show me the document that supports your claim.
... This betrayal will have repercussions not yet thought of...
We fought with the Kurds while our interest aligned, parted ways once they no longer did, as is common in international relations.

You want to risk blood for your vision of commitment, risk yours, or that of your sons or daughters.

You want Americans to risk life and limb to secure the Syrian/Turkish border, when neither Syria nor Turkey wants us there, and it risks a shooting war for communists against the second largest military force in NATO. It also puts us fighting for the PKK, which we have listed for years as a terrorist group against a NATO ally.

Trump made the right move, no more Americans died and we finally have a ceasefire in place, NATO isn't at war with it's self and the Kurds have 5 days to withdraw from the 20 mile strip of the Turkish border. And the Kurds have faced up to the fact that they have to work with Assad to survive in Syria. The Kurds will by Syria's most effective force against a possible resurgence of ISIS.

Win/Win/Win

50 US troops are going to hold back 10,000 Turkish troops? Bullshit, that's a bluff,
Of course it was a bluff. You don't step on Superman's cape. But it worked. Heck's bells, did you happen to notice that Erdogan did not invade the Syrian-Kurdish country until after 10 star General Trump pulled out those few troops? I'm guessing that most of them will hate Trump beyond the grave for making them compliant in his betrayal.

50 US troops are going to hold back 10,000 Turkish troops? Bullshit, that's a bluff,
Of course it was a bluff. You don't step on Superman's cape. But it worked...
Heck's bells, did you happen to notice that Erdogan did not invade the Syrian-Kurdish country until after 10 star General Trump pulled out those few troops? I'm guessing that most of them will hate Trump beyond the grave for making them compliant in his betrayal.
And they will be alive to do so.

Let me step back a bit a make a few other points. I agree with the President's actions, I wish we had more Presidents that engaged in this kind of rigorous honesty as they communicated casualties to families. I have NEVER heard a President say he wasn't sure that this death was necessary for the national security interest of the US, or that this he was unsure that this death was the best way to accomplish that interest. So we get in the position where we cannot admit that we are losing lives in vain and so respond by losing many many more to try to make the initial wrong decision "right".

How many lives were lost because LBJ could not engage in this kind of honest reflection?

I find it stunning that some would bet 50 American lives so casually, and ultimately, for what?

Trump secured the Kurds ability to evacuate the the 20 mile zone with no loss of American life.

American lives are precious and we do not spend them if alternatives are available to us. That's the fresh thinking Trump brings to this, that should have ALWAYS been the thinking that guides this.

I mean no disrespect to you, I'm sure you come to your positions honestly, I really disagree and I think it's great that we both live in a country where we can honestly and freely communicate our disagreements.

Last edited:
US Special Envoy for Syria James Jeffrey, who participated in the talks in Ankara, told reporters, "The Turkish army has seized a great deal of territory in a very short period of time." Pence said the Turks were allowing the Kurds to flee their land. He and Cavusoglu seem to agree on that point. With Trump's help, sounds like a win/win for the Turks.

By the way, the deal gives Turkey relief from sanctions the administration had imposed.

The deal appears to secure Turkey most of its military objectives, forcing America's one-time allies in the fight against ISIS to cede a vast swath of territory. The deal meant the US was "validating what Turkey did and allowing them to annex a portion of Syria and displace the Kurdish population."

Only the Trump administration would call it a ceasefire when an American ally is forced to flee its own land and is given five days to do so.

Putin is Trump's good friend, and Trump respects him greatly and respects what he says. How do we know this? Trump told us.

Kim is also Trump's good friend. In fact, they fell in love and exchanged love letters. How do we know this? Trump told us.

Erdogan is Trump's friend. How do we know this? Trump told us. "I just want to thank and congratulate President Erdoğan. He’s a friend of mine, and I’m glad we didn’t have a problem because, frankly, he’s a hell of a leader, and he’s a tough man," Trump told reporters this week.

Trump has another friend, but he seems to have forgotten him. His name it Benjamin Netanyahu, and he is the prime minister of Israel.

"US President Donald Trump has done little for Israel," former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert told the Jerusalem Post. "Recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of the Jewish state and then the Golan Heights as Israeli territory were empty gestures. This was a declarative move: no substance," Olmert said. "The [Golan] Heights were annexed in December 1981 — 38 years ago. Trump's statement merely caused more controversy over Israel's control of the Golan focusing world attention on an area that had been largely ignored," he added

Olmert saw no reason "to be surprised about the pullout from Syria," but that the US withdrawal is a reminder that Israel has only itself to rely on.

"In the longer term, the clear evidence of the chaotic way the US president conducts business is worrisome," wrote the liberal daily Ha'aretz. "He seems committed only to himself. Against this backdrop, it's almost amusing to note the shrinking number of Trump supporters in the Israeli media, who need to employ a little sophistry to justify the actions of the supposed lover of Israel currently occupying the White House."

Trump's withdrawal from the region not only strengthens Russia's position in the region, but also Syria's ally, Iran. Trump drove our former ally, the Kurds, into the hands of Russia and Syria.

For Israel, the US troop withdrawal from Syria comes at an inopportune time. Iran has used Syria to challenge Israel for years, supporting Bashar Assad as a means of gaining a foothold next door to Israel. Paramilitary troops from Iran's Quds Force are closer than ever to Israel's borders. Israel stuck in a new Middle East amid Turkey's Syria offensive | DW | 15.10.2019

There is more, but the reader gets the point. The Kurds were not the only ones Trump betrayed.

US Special Envoy for Syria James Jeffrey, who participated in the talks in Ankara, told reporters, "The Turkish army has seized a great deal of territory in a very short period of time." Pence said the Turks were allowing the Kurds to flee their land. He and Cavusoglu seem to agree on that point. With Trump's help, sounds like a win/win for the Turks.

Putin is Trump's good friend, and Trump respects him greatly and respects what he says. How do we know this? Trump told us.

Kim is also Trump's good friend. In fact, they fell in love and exchanged love letters. How do we know this? Trump told us.

Erdogan is Trump's friend. How do we know this? Trump told us. "I just want to thank and congratulate President Erdoğan. He’s a friend of mine, and I’m glad we didn’t have a problem because, frankly, he’s a hell of a leader, and he’s a tough man," Trump told reporters this week.

Trump has another friend, but he seems to have forgotten him. His name it Benjamin Netanyahu, and he is the prime minister of Israel.

"US President Donald Trump has done little for Israel," former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert told the Jerusalem Post. "Recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of the Jewish state and then the Golan Heights as Israeli territory were empty gestures. This was a declarative move: no substance," Olmert said. "The [Golan] Heights were annexed in December 1981 — 38 years ago. Trump's statement merely caused more controversy over Israel's control of the Golan focusing world attention on an area that had been largely ignored," he added

Olmert saw no reason "to be surprised about the pullout from Syria," but that the US withdrawal is a reminder that Israel has only itself to rely on.

"In the longer term, the clear evidence of the chaotic way the US president conducts business is worrisome," wrote the liberal daily Ha'aretz. "He seems committed only to himself. Against this backdrop, it's almost amusing to note the shrinking number of Trump supporters in the Israeli media, who need to employ a little sophistry to justify the actions of the supposed lover of Israel currently occupying the White House."

Trump's withdrawal from the region not only strengthens Russia's position in the region, but also Syria's ally, Iran. Trump drove our former ally, the Kurds, into the hands of Russia and Syria.

For Israel, the US troop withdrawal from Syria comes at an inopportune time. Iran has used Syria to challenge Israel for years, supporting Bashar Assad as a means of gaining a foothold next door to Israel. Paramilitary troops from Iran's Quds Force are closer than ever to Israel's borders. Israel stuck in a new Middle East amid Turkey's Syria offensive | DW | 15.10.2019

There is more, but the reader gets the point. The Kurds were not the only ones Trump betrayed.

I brought up Israel's position as more tenuous due to our withdrawal, but few seem concerned. And I also believe the Saudis would do to us what we did to the Kurds if push comes to shove.
This whole mess has me scrambling back to my Bible, looking up old prophecies in the Book of Ezekiel. It's looking a lot like the Gog and Magog thingy ganging up on Israel, like the stage is being set.

You want the US to get into a shooting war with Turkey, appeal to congress to authorize it.

Any news?
-
"The Trump administration called on Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to implement an immediate cease-fire in northern Syria and imposed sanctions against Turkey on Monday in response to its military aggression, as the situation on the ground continued to deteriorate after President Trump’s decision to withdraw U.S. forces."

what do you think?
Trump thought Erdogan would hit only military targets? Really? Now with all the Republicans screaming that Trump was wrong, he's got to do something to look outraged. But it's pretty crazy foreign policy, seems to me.
I'm glad we're out of it, but we could have left more gracefully, I think.
"I'm glad we're out of it," you must be joking , if western Kurdistan ´d collapse who will take over eastern part of "Syria"? yes - IS, and other salafi-wahhabi gangs . so USA will have to return, but the next time without kurdish boots on the ground ....
Assad might have something to say about that, Litwin. I wish no ill to anyone, but taking sides in the ever-changing alliances among the Muslim tribes is futile. Let them handle it and if ISIS tries raising its ugly head again (which it will) knock the shit out of them when they show up at our door.
Or maybe Trump should send Pence to negotiate with them.
"Assad might have something to say about that, Litwin." Assad represents 8-10% of Syrian population, alawitesland actuality is only Syrian coast line . assad and Iran try hard to change demography but its impossible in eastern "syria " where alawites have never lived historically
Be that as it may, Litwin, Assad is in charge of the armed forces in Syria.

Any news?
-
"The Trump administration called on Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to implement an immediate cease-fire in northern Syria and imposed sanctions against Turkey on Monday in response to its military aggression, as the situation on the ground continued to deteriorate after President Trump’s decision to withdraw U.S. forces."

what do you think?
Trump thought Erdogan would hit only military targets? Really? Now with all the Republicans screaming that Trump was wrong, he's got to do something to look outraged. But it's pretty crazy foreign policy, seems to me.
I'm glad we're out of it, but we could have left more gracefully, I think.
"I'm glad we're out of it," you must be joking , if western Kurdistan ´d collapse who will take over eastern part of "Syria"? yes - IS, and other salafi-wahhabi gangs . so USA will have to return, but the next time without kurdish boots on the ground ....
Assad might have something to say about that, Litwin. I wish no ill to anyone, but taking sides in the ever-changing alliances among the Muslim tribes is futile. Let them handle it and if ISIS tries raising its ugly head again (which it will) knock the shit out of them when they show up at our door.
Or maybe Trump should send Pence to negotiate with them.
"Assad might have something to say about that, Litwin." Assad represents 8-10% of Syrian population, alawitesland actuality is only Syrian coast line . assad and Iran try hard to change demography but its impossible in eastern "syria " where alawites have never lived historically
Be that as it may, Litwin, Assad is in charge of the armed forces in Syria.

", Assad is in charge of the armed forces in Syria" No, Assad has no army 5 years already , its Iranian armies which do all fighting on the ground, do you need links ?

Trump claims to want to end “endless wars” while doing nothing of the sort. His surrender order in Syria started a war. "It's time to bring our soldiers back home." — Trump said at a news conference on Wednesday. He was lying.

Fox News reports, "All U.S. troops leaving Syria as part of the withdrawal plan recently announced by President Trump will be stationed in western Iraq, Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Saturday."

The U.S. departure from Syria will take “weeks not days,” Esper said, and involve both aircraft and ground convoys as about 1,000 troops relocate, Reuters reported.

Does this mean there won't be any pullout at all? I am a retired Marine officer and a amateur military historian. It does not take weeks to withdraw 1,000 troops and their equipment. Is the Pentagon countermanding Trump's order? It has happened before.

Suddenly, Trump changed his mind, or the Pentagon changed it for him. The Times reports, "Trump is leaning in favor of a new Pentagon plan to keep a small contingent of American troops in eastern Syria, perhaps numbering about 200, to combat the Islamic State and block the advance of Syrian government and Russian forces into the region’s coveted oil fields, a senior administration official said on Sunday."

Fox added, "In addition, the U.S. military will continue its efforts to prevent a resurgence by Islamic State group (ISIS) terrorists, he said."

More evidence Trump is backing down from his dishonorable surrender order that betrayed an ally. Trump's order resulted in the Turkish invasion of Syria to annihilate the Kurds and forcing the survivors to leave their homes. In the process, thousands of ISIS terrorists were allowed to escape. Now because of Trump's order, we are forced to fight them again.

It doesn't take genius to figure out that the U.S. can't fight ISIS terrorists in Syria if our C-in-C foolishly orders our troops to go to Iraq.

Conclusion: As a result of the Pentagon's order to the troops and Trump's belated change of heart after much of the damage has already been done, the troops are staying for the reasons provided by Esper.

Trump's obvious attempt to turn the region over to Russia was a bit too obvious. Trump has about as much discretion as a pit bull.

Forum List

Back