CDZ Trump and Narcissism...How is it we've not heard much about this in the news???

Several leading psychologists have asserted that Donald Trump is a narcissist.
It comes as no surprise to me to read that Mr. Trump is a narcissist; just listen to him. It's also not difficult to understand the broad appeal of narcissists. I have no problem with them as entertainers. The question in my mind is this. Would I willfully vote for one to be President of the United States? In a word, NO! Why wold anyone?

Edit:
I should have included above that I recognize that narcissism exists in many Presidents and candidates. It's not as much about whether they are or not as it is about whether it is a healthy narcissism. What does that seemingly oxymoronic term mean? Well for the answer to that click here.

Trump is not a narcissist. Unlike narcissists like Bush, Carson, Rubio, Christie, Romney and Cruz, Trump has empathy for people. Generally narcissists don't care about anyone but themselves.

Trump would never close a bridge like Christie because Trump would consider the consequences for people.

Trump raised good kids unlike Bush whose kids are all convicted felons.

Trump shows up for work unlike Rubio who thinks its OK to shirk his responsibilities.

Carson's autobiography is text book narcissism.

Romney is a pathological liar who has no empathy for anyone. His 46% comments and his destruction of companies prove that.
I was raised by a flaming narcissist, so I recognize some of the traits and see some big misunderstandings here about what a narcissistic personality disorder is. What I see with Trump that immediately sets off warning bells: an inability to take responsibility for mistakes or accept even a hint of criticism. No apologizing--he will deny he said it or, much more likely, immediately attack the person who criticized him. Also, I have seen many of his speeches/rallies on C-Span. He routinely spends at least half the time talking about himself and bragging about his accomplishments; at some rallies it has been most of the time.. This isn't just to educate folks about him, it is because to him, he is the most fascinating and important topic anywhere. A lot of narcissists show sympathy toward others, but understanding how others actually feel? Not so much.
Does this preclude him from being President? Not in itself--it's not like schizophrenia or anything--but being incapable of taking criticism or taking responsibility for mistakes? That could get him/us into some deep do-do.

Feel free to list anytime Obama has taken responsibility for a mistake.

Or what about Hillary blaming DeBlasio for the "colored time" joke? LOL you people are so partisan

Once again, Fair&Balanced you show that you are neither and benighted with regard to what has and has not actually transpired. I don't know why that is, but of late, I see daily evidence that it is.

Red:
Would this be enough times for you?
In addition to taking onus for his mistakes, he's, unlike his predecessor, done so while in office, not some decade later.

You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.
-- Daniel Patrick Moynihan​

In EVERY single one of those situations Obama apologize alright, but not for something he personally did. To put into context , this would be like if Trump apologize for something his company did , rather than something he PERSONALLY did.

There is a difference.

It comes as no surprise to me to read that Mr. Trump is a narcissist; just listen to him. It's also not difficult to understand the broad appeal of narcissists. I have no problem with them as entertainers. The question in my mind is this. Would I willfully vote for one to be President of the United States? In a word, NO! Why wold anyone?

Edit:
I should have included above that I recognize that narcissism exists in many Presidents and candidates. It's not as much about whether they are or not as it is about whether it is a healthy narcissism. What does that seemingly oxymoronic term mean? Well for the answer to that click here.

Trump is not a narcissist. Unlike narcissists like Bush, Carson, Rubio, Christie, Romney and Cruz, Trump has empathy for people. Generally narcissists don't care about anyone but themselves.

Trump would never close a bridge like Christie because Trump would consider the consequences for people.

Trump shows up for work unlike Rubio who thinks its OK to shirk his responsibilities.

Romney is a pathological liar who has no empathy for anyone. His 46% comments and his destruction of companies prove that.
I was raised by a flaming narcissist, so I recognize some of the traits and see some big misunderstandings here about what a narcissistic personality disorder is. What I see with Trump that immediately sets off warning bells: an inability to take responsibility for mistakes or accept even a hint of criticism. No apologizing--he will deny he said it or, much more likely, immediately attack the person who criticized him. Also, I have seen many of his speeches/rallies on C-Span. He routinely spends at least half the time talking about himself and bragging about his accomplishments; at some rallies it has been most of the time.. This isn't just to educate folks about him, it is because to him, he is the most fascinating and important topic anywhere. A lot of narcissists show sympathy toward others, but understanding how others actually feel? Not so much.
Does this preclude him from being President? Not in itself--it's not like schizophrenia or anything--but being incapable of taking criticism or taking responsibility for mistakes? That could get him/us into some deep do-do.

Or what about Hillary blaming DeBlasio for the "colored time" joke? LOL you people are so partisan

Once again, Fair&Balanced you show that you are neither and benighted with regard to what has and has not actually transpired. I don't know why that is, but of late, I see daily evidence that it is.

Red:
In addition to taking onus for his mistakes, he's, unlike his predecessor, done so while in office, not some decade later.

In EVERY single one of those situations Obama apologize alright, but not for something he personally did. To put into context , this would be like if Trump apologize for something his company did , rather than something he PERSONALLY did.

There is a difference.

A distinction without a difference, as Rump has never apologized for either.

That IS the subject of this thread yanno, Donald Rump --- not O'bama. Check the thread title. First word.

Edit:

Red:

There is a difference.

Look above. You asked for illustrations of when Mr. Obama took responsibility for a mistake. I've given you exactly what you asked for.

Red:

There is a difference.

Look above. You asked for illustrations of when Mr. Obama took responsibility for a mistake. I've given you exactly what you asked for.

Presenting facts here can get you accused of trolling on USMB.

Moreover, Trumpery doesn't even acknowledge his role in his own life.

Watch the latest VICE documentary about the conditions Trumpery foreign and illegal workers must endure for shit money.

Or, the documentary set in Scotland. He cheerfully steals people's land and rapes the shore, ending the town's ability to make a living and laughs about it.

Trumpery has also said he plans to steal more land if he's elected. He also says he will raise the taxes on the poor and working class while slashing taxes on his 1% cronies.

Which reminds me - why on earth would anyone believe that Trump, of all people, is not completely owned by big business, big money, big oil, big pharma?

Or that his campaign is self-funded?

Google is your friend. No, not the friend of RWNJs but certainly the friend of those who think for themselves.

Another example of Trumpery's narcissism -

How come Dems have to disclose their tax returns but the most crooked asshole to have run in many a long time, TRUMP, gets a pass?

What's wrong with RWNJs that they don't demand the same of him than they demand of others?

Watch the latest VICE documentary about the conditions Trumpery foreign and illegal workers must endure for shit money.

Or, the documentary set in Scotland. He cheerfully steals people's land and rapes the shore, ending the town's ability to make a living and laughs about it.

Trumpery has also said he plans to steal more land if he's elected. He also says he will raise the taxes on the poor and working class while slashing taxes on his 1% cronies.

Which reminds me - why on earth would anyone believe that Trump, of all people, is not completely owned by big business, big money, big oil, big pharma?

Google is your friend. No, not the friend of RWNJs but certainly the friend of those who think for themselves.

Trump is no different than any other corporate gangster. Steve Jobs was a no good son of a bitch and Apple is doing horrendous things around the world. While I think Macs are a bit better than PCs I will never own one.

With the rules the way they are and hyper capitalism one could not survive in business and be moral. It's not just Trump who is a scumbag.

Trump is no different than any other corporate gangster. Steve Jobs was a no good son of a bitch and Apple is doing horrendous things around the world. While I think Macs are a bit better than PCs I will never own one.

With the rules the way they are and hyper capitalism one could not survive in business and be moral. It's not just Trump who is a scumbag.

But it IS just Rump, out of that group, who's running for POTUS.

Again, Tu Quoque fallacies are no more operative here than anywhere else -- the topic IS Donald Rump and his NPD; not some "yeah but" comparison with other candidates, politicians or businesspeople. It's about Rump specifically. That's simply the way it is.

But it IS just Rump, out of that group, who's running for POTUS.

Again, Tu Quoque fallacies are no more operative here than anywhere else -- the topic IS Donald Rump and his NPD; not some "yeah but" comparison with other candidates, politicians or businesspeople. It's about Rump specifically. That's simply the way it is.

Me thinks that if Trump were the Democratic candidate you would have a slightly different take on the top topic LOL

Notice, for example, that you want to play the "oh no we can't discuss how other political candidates do the SAME thing, THIS thread is about Trump (and by the way you come across as a child when you refuse to type his name correctly) game.

Me thinks that if Trump were the Democratic candidate you would have a slightly different take on the top topic LOL

That's absurd. I don't have a political party and I don't believe Rump has one either. This is all entirely about personal character. Or in this case lack thereof.

Notice, for example, that you want to play the "oh no we can't discuss how other political candidates do the SAME thing, THIS thread is about Trump

It *IS* the topic. You can check it for yourself at the top of the page. First word. The Tu Quoque Fallacy is just that, and it's already been tried and shot down anyway.

(and by the way you come across as a child when you refuse to type his name correctly) game.

I understand the emotional hero-worship that requires riding in on one's white horse to save milady's honor. That's part of the problem. I simply flatly refuse to enable his narcissism by referring to him as any higher life form that what he is. On the day he cleans up his act and becomes worthy of that basic level of respect, he'll get it. But as it stands, if you try to present yourself as some sort of god, yer gonna be cut down to size. In short, you want respect, you earn it. Nobody earns respect by being a dick.

Simple enough?

...you want to play the "oh no we can't discuss how other political candidates do the SAME thing, THIS thread is about Trump (and by the way you come across as a child when you refuse to type his name correctly) game.

That's called staying on topic. The extent to which anyone else is or is not a narcissist has nothing to do with Trump's narcissism or the nature and extent of news discussion about it.

...you want to play the "oh no we can't discuss how other political candidates do the SAME thing, THIS thread is about Trump (and by the way you come across as a child when you refuse to type his name correctly) game.

That's called staying on topic. The extent to which anyone else is or is not a narcissist has nothing to do with Trump's narcissism or the nature and extent of news discussion about it.

True, if you hold Trump to a different/higher standard than other candidates, and even that would be fine, if you KNEW that the people doing so weren't doing so merely based on which party he's in. And we all know , of course, that is the case here. Just as you don't see any liberals talking about the criminality of Hillary. It's human nature, but don't hide behind "that guy is so much worse than everyone else" that is weak.

"We all know" absolutely no such thing. That's simple ipse dixit and as such, dismisses itself.

This topic is about stating the strikingly obvious. And secondarily, wondering whence comes the self-delusion for those who turn a blind eye to it.

True, if you hold Trump to a different/higher standard than other candidates, and even that would be fine, if you KNEW that the people doing so weren't doing so merely based on which party he's in. And we all know , of course, that is the case here. Just as you don't see any liberals talking about the criminality of Hillary. It's human nature, but don't hide behind "that guy is so much worse than everyone else" that is weak.

Red:
It has nothing to do with the standard to which I hold Trump. Is has everything to do with what I observe about him, and only him. If you want to discuss other folks' narcissism, create a thread to do so.

Blue:
The reason some people don't in general discuss "the criminality of HIllary" is because the woman hasn't been charged or convicted of a crime, aside perhaps from speeding, although God only knows when she was last behind the wheel of a car. The claims of Mrs. Clinton's criminality are, for now at least, nothing other than hyperbole. Overstatement is a a fine rhetorical device in literature, but, frankly and as far as I'm concerned, it has no place in political discourse and policy making.

Red:
It has nothing to do with the standard to which I hold Trump. Is has everything to do with what I observe about him, and only him. If you want to discuss other folks' narcissism, create a thread to do so.

Blue:
The reason some people don't in general discuss "the criminality of HIllary" is because the woman hasn't been charged or convicted of a crime, aside perhaps from speeding, although God only knows when she was last behind the wheel of a car. The claims of Mrs. Clinton's criminality are, for now at least, nothing other than hyperbole. Overstatement is a a fine rhetorical device in literature, but, frankly and as far as I'm concerned, it has no place in political discourse and policy making.

And more directly, it's a simple Tu Quoque Fallacy, designed to take the spotlight off the topic and put it somewhere else, either in an attempt to diffuse the accusation ("everybody does it") or to simply change an embarrassing subject, or, usually, both.

As a fallacy that has no place in rational argument, and that's something we all actually DO know.

Red:

Blue:

Fine and fair enough, if you wish to start a thread about one candidate having a trait that they all share, and object to anyone pointing out the hypocrisy of such a stance, far be it from me to stand in your way.

Red:

Blue:

Fine and fair enough, if you wish to start a thread about one candidate having a trait that they all share, and object to anyone pointing out the hypocrisy of such a stance, far be it from me to stand in your way.

Once AGAIN, the thread is not about anything anybody "all shares". Read the title. The first word. Are you unfamiliar with what the word specific means?

You might want to examine why you're getting so emotional about this. That's a red flag.

Forum List

Back