True or not?

Joz

Mar 9, 2004
Just received this in my e-mail.

Recently Marines over in Iraq supporting this country in OIF wrote to Starbucks because they wanted to let them know how much they liked their coffee & try to score some free coffee grounds.
Starbucks wrote back telling the marines, thanks for the support in their business but that they don't support the war or anyone in it & that they won't send them the coffee....

I know this war might not be very popular with some folks, but that doesn't mean we don't support the boys on the ground fighting street to street & house to house for what they & I believe is right....
Semper Fidelis
Sgt. Howard C Wright
1st Force Recon Co
1st Plt PLT RTO
USMC

Joz said:
Just received this in my e-mail.

Recently Marines over in Iraq supporting this country in OIF wrote to Starbucks because they wanted to let them know how much they liked their coffee & try to score some free coffee grounds.
Starbucks wrote back telling the marines, thanks for the support in their business but that they don't support the war or anyone in it & that they won't send them the coffee....

I know this war might not be very popular with some folks, but that doesn't mean we don't support the boys on the ground fighting street to street & house to house for what they & I believe is right....
Semper Fidelis
Sgt. Howard C Wright
1st Force Recon Co
1st Plt PLT RTO
USMC

If they want Starbucks, they should have Starbucks. If Starbucks did say/do that, it's a shitty thing, and they deserve a very rapid decline in local business. Get an address, if you can...

I dont know if it is true or not, but I do know that there have been a lot of stories like this going around about different companies that just were not true.

http://www.whoslying.org/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=631

Response to Internet rumor

Thank you for taking the time to contact Starbucks regarding coffee donations to those serving in our armed forces.

Starbucks has the deepest respect and admiration for U.S. military personnel. We are extremely grateful to the men and women who serve stateside or overseas. We sincerely appreciate that they are willing to risk their lives to protect Americans and our values of freedom and democracy. While Starbucks as a company cannot directly donate to military personnel, many of our partners (employees) show their support by donating coffee.

Recently, there was an e-mail circulating the internet that contained misinformation about Starbucks and our support of the military. Starbucks was able to locate the author who turned out to be a Marine Sergeant. He was very grateful that we contacted him and apologized for any misunderstanding, as he did not intend to spread the rumor. He subsequently sent an e-mail to his original distribution list correcting his mistake, which I've included at the end of this e-mail.

I would like to take this opportunity to clarify Starbucks policy regarding charitable contributions. We are able to donate to nonprofit organizations that are designated as public charities under Section 501(c) (3) of the IRS Code, including public libraries and schools. The U.S. military or individual military personnel do not qualify as a public charity.

However, on an individual level, many Starbucks partners have collected and shipped numerous pounds of Starbucks coffee overseas. Starbucks partners receive one pound of free coffee each week as an employee benefit (known as "partner mark-out"). Many of our partners have elected to send their weekly mark-out of coffee to members of the military or military families, and related organizations.

As an example of this generosity, our partners in our Atascadero, California store sent their weekly mark out coffee to troops in Afghanistan so they are able to enjoy a little piece of home. Our customer relations department in Seattle donated hundreds of pounds of coffee to the sailors in the USS Abraham Lincoln carrier group. These are just a few examples of our partners supporting the troops. We recognize and appreciate the very personal connection that customers have with us and how they might miss their Starbucks Experience while overseas.

Thank you again for writing and ask you to accept our deepest appreciation to servicemen and women and hope you remain a valued Starbucks customer. If you have any additional feedback or would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact us at (800) 235-2883 or email us at [email protected].

Sincerely,

David Campbell

Customer Relations

Starbucks Coffee Company

I agree that is a terrible thing to report back to the troops. However I can't confirm nor deny whether this happened. Either way I luv starbucks but I don't pay 3 or 4 dollars for a coffe anyways.

Im going to say this, I am glad to hear it if the troops cant get coffee from starbucks. Troops dont need that crap.

Im going to say this, I am glad to hear it if the troops cant get coffee from starbucks. Troops dont need that crap.

Uh? Is nobody reading my replies?

The Email was real, but based on a misunderstanding.

I agree in part; why would guys complain about not getting over-roasted beans?

Thank you for your post -=d=-. I appreciate you setting the record straight.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
Wasnt it Starbucks who wanted to charge the 9/11 rescue workers a bunch of money for cases of water? Then they publically apologized when the shit hit the fan?

I would like to take this opportunity to clarify Starbucks policy regarding charitable contributions. We are able to donate to nonprofit organizations that are designated as public charities under Section 501(c) (3) of the IRS Code, including public libraries and schools. The U.S. military or individual military personnel do not qualify as a public charity.

This is as bullshit an answer/excuse as there can be. There are LOTS of corporations that have made donations to the military and or military personnel. They are hiding behind the IRS.

I know of a local company recently donated over 20 computers to a unit in the Fallujah area for an internet cafe. Sure, they can't "write it off" on their taxes, but that was not the reason why THEY (the company) made the donation. They did it to support the troops.

Nothing stops Starbucks from making direct donations. I find it sad that Starbucks "partners" (employees) are having to donate their stipen of free coffee instead of Starbucks stepping up to the plate and making the donations themselves.

The letter from Starbucks only mentions what their employees are doing for the troops. What has Starbucks done? I bet Starbucks has made donations to other organizations that do not qualify as non-profit groups.

No more Starbucks for me.

Ahem - If I may interject. I'm reading Starbucks' reply a little differently than y'all.

Starbucks claims " We are able to donate to nonprofit organizations that are designated as public charities under Section 501(c) (3) of the IRS Code, including public libraries and schools. The U.S. military or individual military personnel do not qualify as a public charity."

Well that is just total baloney. A corporation is not now, nor has it ever been limited in regard to whom it may donate goods or services. Starbucks' statement is grossly misleading. The section of the IRS code they cite (501(c)3) is the section which defines non-profit charities. Donations to these charities are tax deductible on corporate or individual tax returns. The military does not qualify as a 501(c)3 entity, therefore donations to the military are not tax deductible. That does NOT mean that Starbucks is unable to donate to the military if they choose, as their weasel-worded reply would have you believe, it simply means that those donations are not tax deductible. Starbucks COULD donate anything they wanted to the military, but they refuse to do so and hide behind the weak excuse that they cannot because the military is not a 501(c)3 charity.

Then, to add insult to injury, Starbucks attempts to claim credit for the individual efforts and generosity of their employees:

"However, on an individual level, many Starbucks partners have collected and shipped numerous pounds of Starbucks coffee overseas. Starbucks partners receive one pound of free coffee each week as an employee benefit (known as "partner mark-out"). Many of our partners have elected to send their weekly mark-out of coffee to members of the military or military families, and related organizations."

So the bottom line at Starbucks is that they REFUSE to support the military and they use the excuse that such support is not deductible. But if you work for Starbucks and want to donate your individual benefits to the military, Starbucks is more than happy to claim the credit for that.

I've darkened the door of a Starbucks only once in my life. You can bet your boots there won't be a second time.

I've only had one cup of starbucks coffee myself. That was in 1994 I think.
The $2 bucks for regular ole coffee did it for me, I've never been back.
Dunkin Donuts coffee for me if I buy out.

Merlin1047 said:
......So the bottom line at Starbucks is that they REFUSE to support the military ........

Since my posted letter was bogus, I didn't read the entire letter in response from Starbucks posted by -=d=-. I appreciated him finding the response. I figured I was just wrong [again].
You're explanation of the 501-C -3 of the IRS code is quite accurate. I never have liked Starbucks.
Thanks to you & Free&fun for pointing all of this out to us.

Forum List

Back