True or false?

Joz said:
Hey, I gotta question for all you military fellas.

I know this guy......He says he was in the Marines. He's weird enough to believe it. :) Always wears a Semper Fi cap. Tells me he was in 'special forces'. You know, the guys that sneak in in the middle of the night and rescue people? He has a particuliar tattoo and says that if I ever come across anyone else with one like it that they would be more than happy to lend a helping hand. All the men in his unit has this tatoo.

The story never changes. Either he's telling the truth or he has convinced himself it's the truth. How believable is this?

As it happens, a close relative was in Special Forces - and Special Forces have NOTHING to do with the Marine Corps.

Special Forces is a unit of the Army, above Airborne (in fact, you must go through Airborne before going into SF).

The Marines are a unit of the Navy, and the Navy has SEALs, the "Special Forces" of the Navy.

Regards,

Andy

JOKER96BRAVO said:
SF are a very proud but modest breed.
Sounds kinda hoaky to me....

Indeed - all the SF I've ever met would not admit it, much less brag about it. Part of their mission is covert ops, and revealing such information - much less bragging - is counter to their mission.

Regards,

Andy

Joz said:
Redhead, green eyes. I fully understand the 'panties' thing. I just wanted to know if his tale could be true.

*sigh* :bow3:

I think I also said he talks the talk to men also. I'm not denying the fact that this man is not the most staunch character. And I don't really care whose other's panties he'd drop. But I don't think that's the whole story. I think he has some real emotional problems that need dealing with. All I wanted to know is IF this coould actually have SOME TRUTH to it.

This is a guy trying desperately to make his life have meaning to others. Simply he doesn't think he is impressive enough in reality. I had a friend that tried to do this after he got out of the Navy. He kept saying he was SEAL and just kept lying his ass off. Sometimes it was funny, other times it was just downright embarassing.

CivilLiberty said:
As it happens, a close relative was in Special Forces - and Special Forces have NOTHING to do with the Marine Corps.

Special Forces is a unit of the Army, above Airborne (in fact, you must go through Airborne before going into SF).

The Marines are a unit of the Navy, and the Navy has SEALs, the "Special Forces" of the Navy.

Regards,

Andy

Um the Marines are a separate service that works closely with the Navy, they have SF called Forced Recon. The Navy SF is the SEALS and the AF even has SF.

Special Forces are elite Warriors and are found in every service.

http://www.specialoperations.com/Units/military.htm

SpecOps are run in every aspect of our armed forces.

Gem said:
I have a close family member who was involved in some pretty heavy-duty, top secret stuff during that time period.

1) He doesn't talk about it, brag about it, bring it up...talk about how he could have his friends "rescue me in the middle of the night." You have to pry stories out of him...he really doesn't like to talk about a lot of it because often heavy-duty, top-secret stories aren't happy, cheerful, upbeat stories...but rather stories about him killing people or his buddies getting killed.

2) He is the most unassumming, kind, good man you'll ever meet. You'd never guess he was once so hardcore.

My guess is that your guy is lying. Or, at the most, he fought in the war and is exaggerating his accomplishments, ala John Kerry.

Another thing, going around claiming that you worked with classified materials or have a security clearance invites unwanted attention from members of intelligence services of hostile countries. They sometimes can be persuasive and many times don't have any accent. There are a lot more in our midst than you may realize. Many pose as "students" or some other innocuous characters.

I heard a story (whether it's true or not, I can't say, but it sounds believable) of a fellow at work who was working on something classified. A foreigner moved in next door to him. The foreigner was quite friendly with him and they had him over for dinner. Also, the foreigner had an interest in radios. Come to find out that he bugged their phone while he was in their home and was eavesdropping on their phone conversations. It turned out he was KGB. It turned out his "radios" were actually listening devices.

If I had a clearance, I would keep quiet about it, not only for my safety but my family's as well.

Wow, interesting story...certainly demonstrates why you don't open your mouth about secretive things to people you don't know well.

My family members situation is a bit different now. I think that he primarily kept quiet about it because his missions were so top secret - going into areas that the US has "never been in," killing people the US "has never been at war with," etc. all under instructions from the US...not neccessarily things you bring up at job interviews, ya know?

Then, when he got back...the anti-war movement was in full swing and you didn't just go around saying, "Hey, not only did I GO to war...but I was one of the people MOST involved!!!!" He has discussed with me only once and only very briefly the treatment of he and his fellow soldiers by Americans during/after Vietnam and after hearing his stories I'd have kept my mouth shut too...

Now, he keeps quiet because a)he doesn't always know what has been "unclassified" or not and, more importantly for him, b)it was another time, another life, and now he has a wife and a family and is not the same man.

I agree with you completely...men with background such as the ones you and I both know are most often very modest about the things that they have accomplished...and sometimes, they choose to say, "That was then and this is now." and move on completely.

Gem said:
I agree with you completely...men with background such as the ones you and I both know are most often very modest about the things that they have accomplished...and sometimes, they choose to say, "That was then and this is now." and move on completely.
It's sort of an unwritten requirement....:)

CivilLiberty said:
And you're a bartender... What more could a guy want?
...Sigh...:dev3:A

Exactly. What man doesn't want a woman to give him a smile, wait on him, and act like it's her life's dream to do so. Sheer fantasy.

Bartending is alot like being a mom; they make a mess, you clean up after them.

Joz said:
Exactly. What man doesn't want a woman to give him a smile, wait on him, and act like it's her life's dream to do so. Sheer fantasy.

Bartending is alot like being a mom; they make a mess, you clean up after them.

Except they pay you to wait on them and clean up their mess. Plus you get to make really cool drinks like "A Slow Comfortable Screw Up Against the Wall".

no1tovote4 said:
Except they pay you to wait on them and clean up their mess.
Yes they do. But as you know, people in customer service don't always do so with a 'smile'. :)
Plus you get to make really cool drinks like "A Slow Comfortable Screw Up Against the Wall".
That's the fun part. I make a pretty mean Carrot Cake. But the ladies have to be careful with this. Guys loves to come in an ask for an Erection, Screaming Orgasm, Blow Job. Here's one for your wife next time you go out. A Jolly Rancher: 1 shot Watermelon Schnnaps, 1 shot Apple Schnnaps, fill w/cranberry juice. I don't inbibe, but it's pretty dead on. I like a little less apple, as to make it less sour.

Mr. P said:
*Raises hand* Me..I'll take the smile part..Keep the rest of the fantasy. :)
Yeah, but with my smile, (I'm told) you can't help thinking the rest. Guess those braces paid off! Still fantasy.

Forum List

Back