True or false?

Joz

Mar 9, 2004
Hey, I gotta question for all you military fellas.

I know this guy......He says he was in the Marines. He's weird enough to believe it. :) Always wears a Semper Fi cap. Tells me he was in 'special forces'. You know, the guys that sneak in in the middle of the night and rescue people? He has a particuliar tattoo and says that if I ever come across anyone else with one like it that they would be more than happy to lend a helping hand. All the men in his unit has this tatoo.

The story never changes. Either he's telling the truth or he has convinced himself it's the truth. How believable is this?

How old is this guy???
When did he serve???

I ask because it doesn't happen much anymore, Viet Nam era???
Plus the fact that they all have the same tattoo just means they were
all in the same unit, doesn't mean they would all love to help you with
anything you need help with Special Forces or not.

I was attached to an SF unit for MANY missions, only met a few guys
with the same tattoo. The loyalty just doesn't go that far anymore.

Marines are in Seal units too....

anyway, if he was SF in modern times, he probably wouldn't have a tattoo. It is fround upon as it is a clear idenfityer.

You say he is Nam era, so it is possible he was in a Marine Force Recon Unit or even Seals (I think they were still called Frog Men in Nam, but not sure).

He asks me what I would do if some time, in the middle of the night these strangers dressed in black would sweep in and rescue me from my captives. I have always said that I would be rather grateful to someone who would risk their life to save mine. He also says he's done things that would shock me.
Well, I'm not that naive.
But this sometimes sounds like a "movie of the week" sort of thing.

Rules of thumb:

Nobody who answers "I can't tell you what I do - it's classified" has done anything which is important. Those who REALLY have secret jobs have a COVER job, so as not to attract attention.

The further removed from Military Service I get, the more TSNS my jobs in the army become. ;) That's a universal truth, for EVERY soldier.

What could be 'sitting in a large tent under noise-light restrictions during night operations' turns into 'I was part of 'dark ops'...we were hidden within Enemy terrain and controlled puppet organizations to carry out surgical strike operations'.

;)

:D

Joz said:
He asks me what I would do if some time, in the middle of the night these strangers dressed in black would sweep in and rescue me from my captives. I have always said that I would be rather grateful to someone who would risk their life to save mine. He also says he's done things that would shock me.
Well, I'm not that naive.
But this sometimes sounds like a "movie of the week" sort of thing.

let me guess, you are single, he is single and you haven't slept with him yet

Okay, how did we get from talking about possibly fake SF guys to getting into a woman's jeans?

-=d=- said:
Rules of thumb:

Nobody who answers "I can't tell you what I do - it's classified" has done anything which is important. Those who REALLY have secret jobs have a COVER job, so as not to attract attention.

The further removed from Military Service I get, the more TSNS my jobs in the army become. ;) That's a universal truth, for EVERY soldier.

What could be 'sitting in a large tent under noise-light restrictions during night operations' turns into 'I was part of 'dark ops'...we were hidden within Enemy terrain and controlled puppet organizations to carry out surgical strike operations'.

;)

:D

It used to be (a long time ago, anyway) that even admitting you had a secret clearance was a big no-no. So if the guy is telling you this stuff, the likelihood is slim to none that he was a Seal.

I dunno...sounds kind of hoakey to me. tattoos don't mean a heck of a lot. I'd be careful as there are a lot of guys out there pretending to be something they are not.

Most VN vets I know dont talk a lot about it unless they are with old buddies and no one else is around....I know I dont.

Forum List

Back