True Detective Returns Tonight....

BullKurtz

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
How season two can top the bayou debauchery of Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson, I don't know. I watched the last 3 episodes of that again last night and it was every bit as good even knowing what would happen. McConaughey is surely one of this era's finest actors.....The cutting the beer cans into stick men during the interrogation scene was as fine a piece of acting as I have ever seen. And who knew Woody could come off as a beer-bellied psychopath with a long broken jaw-hinge?

Good luck with season two.....the bar is set so high this year will need a ladder to kiss it's ass.

p10292319_b_v7_aa.jpg

Last edited:
MOre interested in the 2 hour season premiere of The Last Ship

• Banned
Season one had a great start with a weird disappointing ending.

I thought the ending was excellent. The series built momentum and accelerated through the last two episodes like the City of New Orleans (train). The last scene outside the hospital had them arguing about whether the night sky had the darkness or the starlight winning was perfect. If season two can match the first I'll be the first to admit it but they've got a tough slog on their hands.

Last edited:
  • Banned
If you really liked 'True Detective' and don't hate the British, watch 'Red Riding'. Came out in 2009 I think.

I like the Brit detective series....especially "Sherlock" although that actor gives me the willies. I like "The Fall", "Strike Back", "Legends", "Black Sails" etc....The one you mention isn't listed on couchtuner.eu.

If you really liked 'True Detective' and don't hate the British, watch 'Red Riding'. Came out in 2009 I think.

I like the Brit detective series....especially "Sherlock" although that actor gives me the willies. I like "The Fall", "Strike Back", "Legends", "Black Sails" etc....The one you mention isn't listed on couchtuner.eu.

It was a movie trilogy. I'm watching Endeavour now on Amazon Prime. I liked season 1 of Strike Back

• Banned
Well, for those who sat through an hour they'll never get back of True Detective.....sorry I brought it up. A collage of losers played by b-actors..... So where was the "detective" part of it? Sadism, cigarettes, whiskey, and edgy music don't make an intriguing sequel to last year's brilliance far as I'm concerned. I'll watch the second episode to see if this turkey can redeem itself but I doubt it.

I fully agree!

Season One began with a well-crafted promise of something truly and uniquely exotic -- and poof! The series ended in a hackneyed cliche that made all of McConaughey's early efforts seem extraneous and plainly overdone.

Well, for those who sat through an hour they'll never get back of True Detective.....sorry I brought it up. A collage of losers played by b-actors..... So where was the "detective" part of it? Sadism, cigarettes, whiskey, and edgy music don't make an intriguing sequel to last year's brilliance far as I'm concerned. I'll watch the second episode to see if this turkey can redeem itself but I doubt it.
It looks to me like Harrelson and McConaughey are applying the same formula this season that worked for them last time, which is an outlandish police personality put forth with good acting (on Farrel's part), great camera work, a fitting musical score and exceptional direction, all of which combine to foster a sultry, appealingly tropical mood. It worked last time. But this time we know it's going to end like a well-cooked, stretched-out episode of Law and Order.

I'll watch it. The critical component of anticipation will be lacking but I will look forward to seeing Colin Farrel's brutal character get a five-minute beating before being tossed off a roof -- or something like that.

Last edited:

yea Bull ....Strike Back....great show....i wish it wasnt ending....

I fully agree!

Season One began with a well-crafted promise of something truly and uniquely exotic -- and poof! The series ended in a hackneyed cliche that made all of McConaughey's early efforts seem extraneous and plainly overdone.

What bothered me about the ending, not the ending ending, but the finding of the perpetrator, is that it didn't really seem to fit. How did it all end up on that crazy fuck with the crazy fuck wife, or whatever she was?

Maybe I missed something. lol, it wouldn't be the first time.

I fully agree!

McConaughey didn't do himself any favors doing those unbearable Cadillac commercials. Note to Mac,

nobody is cool enough to sell out unscathed.

What bothered me about the ending, not the ending ending, but the finding of the perpetrator, is that it didn't really seem to fit. How did it all end up on that crazy fuck with the crazy fuck wife, or whatever she was?

The fat fuck and woman were the gatekeepers for the perverts who ran the schools. The boys had to find the arena where the rituals happened back in the root caves. As eerie and evil an episode as I've ever seen on any show.

The fat fuck and woman were the gatekeepers for the perverts who ran the schools. The boys had to find the arena where the rituals happened back in the root caves. As eerie and evil an episode as I've ever seen on any show.

Okay. You'll find the parallels to Red Riding even more interesting if you ever check it out (not to dwell too much)

I liked TD 2, I thought it set a good stage and am cautiously optimistic about the direction it will take.

Just a tiny bit of a stretch that Antigone's sister AND father played a role in the first episode but I think the sister will fade and the father might play a bigger role as we progress. She's an awesome character, locked and loaded.

I really like Vince Vaugh character (and his wife) as the spider(s) at the center of the web. Colin is seriously fucked up, out in the trillions column and might be exhausting his usefulness to Frank Seymon

The City Manager's death looks personal more likely involving his off hours sexual exploits than his role as Treasurer but who can really tell with Nik P?

In the Lera Lynn Song "Least favorite Life" she mentions "Fallen leaves" and the book on Antigone's table "Hakagure" is a samurai book that translates to "Fallen Leaves" Meaningful? Nah.

I liked TD 2, I thought it set a good stage and am cautiously optimistic about the direction it will take.

Just a tiny bit of a stretch that Antigone's sister AND father played a role in the first episode but I think the sister will fade and the father might play a bigger role as we progress. She's an awesome character, locked and loaded.

I really like Vince Vaugh character (and his wife) as the spider(s) at the center of the web. Colin is seriously fucked up, out in the trillions column and might be exhausting his usefulness to Frank Seymon

The City Manager's death looks personal more likely involving his off hours sexual exploits than his role as Treasurer but who can really tell with Nik P?

In the Lera Lynn Song "Least favorite Life" she mentions "Fallen leaves" and the book on Antigone's table "Hakagure" is a samurai book that translates to "Fallen Leaves" Meaningful? Nah.

Eh...I'll watch the series because all my fall and winter shows are done and the summer shows ("Longmire" and "Ray Donovan") haven't started yet. The thing about TD2 is the character actors....that big dude playing the guru used to be on some hospital drama, and Colin's cop partner is all over the place...he was the father of the raped girl on "American Crime". His grungy appearance is part of what pissed me off about TD2...no way he'd be Colin's partner...polar opposites. To me that's where TD2 is trying to be dark and edgy. And it's set in LA....couldn't they try someplace else like Colorado or the Carolinas maybe? :dunno:

Forum List

Back