True cost of austerity: Slashed training for Police Departments

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
Police training halts as agencies face budget cuts - USATODAY.com

The Tea Party austerity push is going to have some serious effects. Some are good: Cutting unnecessary govt waste, like parks and rec depts, cultural and arts programs, and other things that the private citizens can do for themselves.

However...some have taken it very far. And, according to the USA Today source, 70% of police departments have been forced to slash basic training and in-service training budgets. That includes weapons, tactics, crime scene investigation, etc, etc.

Add to that less competitive pay packages, which draws fewer good candidates.....and makes retaining good cops harder.

The result? Well, as the article says, it wont be seen overnight. Which is probably why TP politicians like cutting police/fire/education budgets. Because it's not an immediately visible result. It takes a few years for that cut to show, and by then, heck, they'll be in the Senate!!! SC Gov Nikki Haley sure seems to be following that plan.

So maybe you'll get a cop who is less trained with his weapon responding to a hostage or school shooting situation. Or maybe he has never been shown how to process a crime scene, and thus, can't find who stole your car. Or....in some cities, they may not even fucking bother showing up, like Oakland, CA who no longer come to car or home burglaries if the suspect has already left the scene (you have to file a report yourself online).

Or...maybe, since they can't attract or keep better officers, you'll get a cop who was the bottom-of-the-bucket in applicants, and he's the one who pulls you over, and thinks it's a wonderful service to write you a $200 ticket for doing 1mph over the speed limit.

But, hey, at least no one's property taxes went up 0.3%!!

The Tea Party austerity push is going to have some serious effects. Some are good: Cutting unnecessary govt waste, like parks and rec depts, cultural and arts programs, and other things that the private citizens can do for themselves.

However...some have taken it very far. And, according to the USA Today source, 70% of police departments have been forced to slash basic training and in-service training budgets. That includes weapons, tactics, crime scene investigation, etc, etc.

Add to that less competitive pay packages, which draws fewer good candidates.....and makes retaining good cops harder.

The result? Well, as the article says, it wont be seen overnight. Which is probably why TP politicians like cutting police/fire/education budgets. Because it's not an immediately visible result. It takes a few years for that cut to show, and by then, heck, they'll be in the Senate!!! SC Gov Nikki Haley sure seems to be following that plan.

So maybe you'll get a cop who is less trained with his weapon responding to a hostage or school shooting situation. Or maybe he has never been shown how to process a crime scene, and thus, can't find who stole your car. Or....in some cities, they may not even fucking bother showing up, like Oakland, CA who no longer come to car or home burglaries if the suspect has already left the scene (you have to file a report yourself online).

Or...maybe, since they can't attract or keep better officers, you'll get a cop who was the bottom-of-the-bucket in applicants, and he's the one who pulls you over, and thinks it's a wonderful service to write you a $200 ticket for doing 1mph over the speed limit.

what do i have now? i still see inept cops at some times and good hearted cops, the good ones know how to train and be a better cop and some just collect a check. whats the difference?

dare i shock the dems people can learn on their own.

let me ask you an honest question, do you work for free? how often in your life have you gone to an employer and said "you know what, ill help you out and work for free" ?

I have an Idea, lets run the deficit up around 800 Trillion and see what happens!!! Jobs for everyone, even if you do no work yay!

Dumb threads are dumb.

kthxbye!

You mean after the Stimulus shoved millions on to PDs to "keep cops on the street"? They wasted all that money on junk and now are complaining.
Fuck them. Fuck you.

Poor poor Gestapo. What will they do now? Me so sad.

You believe our police forces are the gestapo?

Fuck your sorry ass. I hope you don't get the police response that you may need some day.

let me ask you an honest question, do you work for free? how often in your life have you gone to an employer and said "you know what, ill help you out and work for free" ?

Let me ask you an honest question: do you get to retire at age 48 on a 100% pension? How many corporations pay people full salary for 30 years to do nothing?

Fuck your sorry ass. I hope you don't get the police response that you may need some day.

When does anyone ever get the police response they need? If your life depends on the police arriving promptly, you're in deep shit because studies show that the in life threatening situations it takes the police almost 10 minutes, on average, to show up.

I have tried to just to get my foot in the door, they all turned me down.

When does anyone ever get the police response they need? If your life depends on the police arriving promptly, you're in deep shit because studies show that the in life threatening situations it takes the police almost 10 minutes, on average, to show up.

Where I live you don't need the cops, just a shotgun.

You mean after the Stimulus shoved millions on to PDs to "keep cops on the street"? They wasted all that money on junk and now are complaining.
Fuck them. Fuck you.

Horny?

We are just going to have to suck it up until we have the money.
WE just can't keep on spending like we have.
At this point one would think the Libs who are just supposed to be smarter then everyone
would understand this.

Typical loyal Goose Stepper blather. Big Brother will never allow his Gestapo to be under-funded. This post is pure fiction.

Last edited:
Ahhh, I guess your hero Joe Biden will soon be showing up with another speech about rapes going up because of the GOP and these cuts.:eusa_whistle:

Democrats don't understand the term "There is NO money". They think it's something deliberately done to them.

Once again we find you are to damn cheap to pay your police. You must use other communities money..

You make a great democrat leach..........

Less Gestapo assholes will be a good thing for our Nation. Big Brother's Gestapo has grown too large & powerful. I do understand it's supposed to be all-powerful in a Police State though. But yeah, less Gestapo assholes harrassing the People, will be a good thing. However, that's not gonna happen. Big Brother will always make sure his Gestapo Forces are well taken care of. Gotta keep the Sheeple in line. So this OP is just being a Drama-Queen. Don't feel sorry for the Gestapo. They'll be fine. Bet on that.

Forum List

Back