True abuse by the IRS

Bass v 2.0

Biblical Warrior For God.
Jun 16, 2008
Pennsylvania
Bass v. 2.0 said:
I believe in going after those who owe taxes, but give this guy a damn break, the IRS does not need to be picking on the little guys like this dude while allowing loopholes for the big wigs who are among the 50% that don't pay taxes like GE.

Well, he would've been liable for gains on the baseball, too, if he had kept it, under the windfall principle. Thus, his gains are income, because they were given in exchange for the value of the baseball.

Anyway . . .

Example of one IRS lawyer picking on the little guy

Marvin Manypenny [was] a Native American activist in Minnesota who failed to pay taxes on three years of wages totaling $30,650. Bachmann took him to federal court in 1992.

Manypenny worked at the Youth Project, described in court records as "a public foundation with a 17-year history of building citizen participation organizations around the country committed to social justice and peace.'' The resident of the White Earth Indian Reservation contended he was exempt from income taxes because of the April 8, 1867 land treaty between his Chippewa Indian ancestors and the U.S. government. He met Bachmann briefly in the federal court building in St. Paul.

"She was very -- how do I put this? -- haughty and curt,'' the 64-year-old Manypenny told National Journal in a telephone interview. "I tried to state my contentions to her and it was like talking to a brick wall.''

The court didn't accept Manypenny's argument, either. While the treaty exempted Indian-owned land from taxes, it did not exempt individuals. "We give no credence to petitioner's contention that he and the land are one,'' the court ruled.

Years later, Manypenny doesn't recall how much money he ended up paying in back taxes. But he questions how someone who hounded a minor-league tax delinquent like himself could support the tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans enacted by former President George W. Bush.

Buzzkill: Fan may owe taxes on rewards for Jeter’s 3,000th - Big League Stew - MLB*Blog - Yahoo! Sports

Seriously, I believe in going after those who owe taxes, but give this guy a damn break, the IRS does not need to be picking on the little guys like this dude while allowing loopholes for the big wigs who are among the 50% that don't pay taxes like GE. This is just taking it too damn far, the guy gave the baseball back for God's sake.

He needs a tax lawyer. The guy made $50,000 + dollars and owes taxes on it.

Bass v. 2.0 said:
I believe in going after those who owe taxes, but give this guy a damn break, the IRS does not need to be picking on the little guys like this dude while allowing loopholes for the big wigs who are among the 50% that don't pay taxes like GE.

Well, he would've been liable for gains on the baseball, too, if he had kept it, under the windfall principle. Thus, his gains are income, because they were given in exchange for the value of the baseball.

Anyway . . .

Example of one IRS lawyer picking on the little guy

Marvin Manypenny [was] a Native American activist in Minnesota who failed to pay taxes on three years of wages totaling $30,650. Bachmann took him to federal court in 1992.

Manypenny worked at the Youth Project, described in court records as "a public foundation with a 17-year history of building citizen participation organizations around the country committed to social justice and peace.'' The resident of the White Earth Indian Reservation contended he was exempt from income taxes because of the April 8, 1867 land treaty between his Chippewa Indian ancestors and the U.S. government. He met Bachmann briefly in the federal court building in St. Paul.

"She was very -- how do I put this? -- haughty and curt,'' the 64-year-old Manypenny told National Journal in a telephone interview. "I tried to state my contentions to her and it was like talking to a brick wall.''

The court didn't accept Manypenny's argument, either. While the treaty exempted Indian-owned land from taxes, it did not exempt individuals. "We give no credence to petitioner's contention that he and the land are one,'' the court ruled.

Years later, Manypenny doesn't recall how much money he ended up paying in back taxes. But he questions how someone who hounded a minor-league tax delinquent like himself could support the tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans enacted by former President George W. Bush.

Could it be because most of those tax breaks for the wealthy actually went to people making less than $200,000 a year?

I'm glad to see that he isn't crying about it.

Everyone has to pay income tax, why should he be excused?

If I were him I'd sell the tickets and pay off that massive $100,000 student loan hanging over his head.

Buzzkill: Fan may owe taxes on rewards for Jeter’s 3,000th - Big League Stew - MLB*Blog - Yahoo! Sports

Seriously, I believe in going after those who owe taxes, but give this guy a damn break, the IRS does not need to be picking on the little guys like this dude while allowing loopholes for the big wigs who are among the 50% that don't pay taxes like GE. This is just taking it too damn far, the guy gave the baseball back for God's sake.

Thought the whole meme was paying your fair share? Or is there some reason he is above paying his Fair Share on what he won?

Forum List

Back