Trudeau stands firm amid fresh calls from U.S. for NATO spending boost

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Canada will not pay NATO bills and may never pay our 2%, accept the 1% because we are nice people. Oh, and when you open up an office on Canadian soil, you will be rewarded with covert interference in your business and attempts to generate unions there, to, you know, "equalize" the U.S/Canadian competitive environment.

What will Trump and Tillerson have to say and do about this?

P.S If and when New York passes their "Buy American" law, Ontario is going to retaliate. We will tell YOU how to invest your taxpayers money.

Trudeau stands firm amid fresh calls from U.S. for NATO spending boost

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau doubled down Friday in his defence of Canadian military spending levels, as the U.S. brought fresh pressure to bear on NATO allies to pony up.

U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson used his first NATO summit in Brussels to demand that all allies come up with a plan to increase the amount they spend on defence to two per cent of GDP.

“Our goal should be to agree at the May leaders’ meeting that, by the end of the year, all allies will have either met the pledge guidelines or will have developed plans that clearly articulate how, with annual milestone progress commitments, the pledge will be fulfilled,” Tillerson told his counterparts.

Canada currently spends about one per cent of GDP on defence, which would mean having to double its $19-billion military budget.

But Trudeau sidestepped a question over whether Canada will draft such a plan and instead stuck with his message when asked about the U.S. demand during a Toronto news conference.

“Canada has always been one of the handful of countries that has always been ready and capable of stepping up on important missions of participating and of punching well above their weight,” he said.

The prime minister pointed to the upcoming mission in Latvia, where Canada will lead a 1,000-strong NATO battlegroup to deter Russian aggression in the region, as proof of its commitment.

“Canada has always done more than its share in NATO and we will continue to,” Trudeau said.

Tillerson is only the latest U.S. official to press NATO allies to spend more on their own defence, with U.S. President Donald Trump banging the drum the loudest.

But Liberal officials have said in private that the message is more for European allies and that the Trump administration appreciates Canada’s military contributions to Iraq, Latvia and Ukraine.

At the same time, the Trudeau government is preparing a new defence policy, which is expected to offer a long-term vision for the military over the next couple of decades.

That policy is expected to be released in early May, before Trudeau, Trump and other NATO leaders meet at a summit in Brussels.

Sources have indicated the policy will include new investments in the military, though any new money could be a while coming, given ongoing delays with procurement projects and the size of the federal deficit.

I don't think Canada owes the USA anything.

Canada does not particularly benefit from NATO. Not anymore.

They used to be a British colony but not anymore. Since 1982 Canada has been free.

So it took 200 years longer for Canada to obtain freedom than for the USA.

As long as Canada is a nice neighbor it should not need to participate in NATO or pay for it.

NATO is pure stupidity by the USA ever since 1991.

There is no reason to force or cajole Canada into the same stupidity.

A free trade agreement between the USA and Canada makes perfect sense.

Free trade agreements with Mexico or China or Japan make no sense at all.

And NATO makes no sense at all either, especially when the only benefit is to protect US trading partners, particularly senseless with Germany running a deficit imbalance.

Fokk Germany. And Fokk NATO.

They used to be a British colony but not anymore. Since 1982 Canada has been free.

As long as Canada is a nice neighbor it should not need to participate in NATO or pay for it.

And NATO makes no sense at all either, especially when the only benefit is to protect US trading partners, particularly senseless with Germany running a deficit imbalance.

Tell that to the Americans who have lost their lives fighting for NATO initiatives. NATO matters, and NATO nations need to pay their fair share or leave.

Canadians are nice people, are security apparatus is not. They undermine American and European businesses in Canada and spread anti-American sentiment.

Canada is not a free nation, we give more money to the Queen per capita than the English do!
Queen costs us more than the Brits pay - Macleans.ca

America is a Republic, you support individual rights, Canada is a Constitutional Monarchy, we support centralized powers and disregard individual rights and freedoms for state powers.

I appreciate that you accept the 1% to NATO, the spying and interfering of American businesses (something I blew the whistle on at great personal cost as it violates NAFTA), and, enjoy being told by our provincial government that you can't have a "Buy American" policy, nor, can you force us to place "Made in Canada" on our beef.

Canada unfortunately has lost it's way the last 30+ years, it's up to you and your new government to hold other nations to account. Trust me, Canada smiles in your face and stab you in the back as they did to me when I ratted their tactics out. My guess is that Trump and Ross "get it", they need to act accordingly. We just stole 4000 jobs with a $300M cash payment with GM, and another 300 high tech jobs with a $200M grant to Ford.

Is this the globalization based on the best, brightest and most competitive, or borderline corruption?

Last edited:
Appears maybe I'm getting through to you, no response. Take it from me, Canada isn't all that it seems.

Tell that to the Americans who have lost their lives fighting for NATO initiatives. NATO matters, and NATO nations need to pay their fair share or leave.

Canadians are nice people, are security apparatus is not. They undermine American and European businesses in Canada and spread anti-American sentiment.

Canada is not a free nation, we give more money to the Queen per capita than the English do!
Queen costs us more than the Brits pay - Macleans.ca

America is a Republic, you support individual rights, Canada is a Constitutional Monarchy, we support centralized powers and disregard individual rights and freedoms for state powers.

I appreciate that you accept the 1% to NATO, the spying and interfering of American businesses (something I blew the whistle on at great personal cost as it violates NAFTA), and, enjoy being told by our provincial government that you can't have a "Buy American" policy, nor, can you force us to place "Made in Canada" on our beef.

Canada unfortunately has lost it's way the last 30+ years, it's up to you and your new government to hold other nations to account. Trust me, Canada smiles in your face and stab you in the back as they did to me when I ratted their tactics out. My guess is that Trump and Ross "get it", they need to act accordingly. We just stole 4000 jobs with a $300M cash payment with GM, and another 300 high tech jobs with a $200M grant to Ford.

Is this the globalization based on the best, brightest and most competitive, or borderline corruption?
Nobody should be dragged into or forced into an alliance that they don't need.

Canada does not need the NATO alliance.

Nobody is ever going to attack Canada -- not with the USA sitting next door.

So any taxpayer dollars (money) that Canada spends on NATO is a waste.

NATO was formed to combat Stalin. Stalin is gone.

In 1991 the USSR disappeared too and a smaller country named Russia evolved.

Russia has done very little aggressive action anywhere, and every time it has it had been provoked first.

The provocation in Ukraine was precisely NATO.

Ergo the NATO alliance has become self defeating and should be disbanded.

I was baffled when I saw they'd elected another Trudeau.....as if the father wasn't enough of a disaster. My bet is if he was homely he'd be a government clerk instead of PM. And it doesn't surprise me that the Canucks won't live up to NATO member requirements that they agreed to become a member. Eventually we'll probably have to expel them or invade them...creating 5 new states and deporting all the frog-speaking Quebec sissies. I bet the majority of Canadians would welcome becoming part of the US and not lift a finger to oppose us. Here's a chart of the NATO shirkers we might choose to let fall to Putin should he want them:

natopercgdp.png

Forum List

Back