Truce REJECTED!

Discussion in 'Israel and Palestine' started by DavidS, Dec 30, 2008.

  1. DavidS
    Offline

    DavidS Anti-Tea Party Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Messages:
    9,811
    Thanks Received:
    766
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    New York, NY
    Ratings:
    +767
    Official: Israel won't accept humanitarian pause - Israel News, Ynetnews

    Official: Israel won't accept humanitarian pause

    Prime Minister Olmert places embargo on resolutions of his four-hour meeting with Foreign Minister Livni, Defense Minister Barak on ways to continue Gaza operation. Nonetheless, state officials reject French offer of ceasefire for humanitarian purposes. Earlier, ministers approve additional draft of 2,500 reservists
    Roni Sofer Published: 12.31.08, 02:00 / Israel News

    A state official said Tuesday night that "Israel mustn't talk of a ceasefire for humanitarian needs. This expression is unacceptable to us, as medications, blood and basic commodities have already been transferred to the Gaza Strip."

    The official spoke after Prime Minister Ehud Olmert placed an embargo on the resolutions of his four-hour meeting with Defense Minister Ehud Barak, Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni, IDF Chief of Staff Gabi Ashkenazi, Shin Bet Director Yuval Diskin and other defense officials on ways to continue the military operation in Gaza.

    Sources in Jerusalem made it clear after the meeting that the French definition for the ceasefire, as suggested by French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner to Defense Minister Barak, was unacceptable. They added, however, that a ceasefire would be possible if Hamas were to stop firing rockets towards Israel.

    "At the end of the day, the operation is aimed at restoring peace in the south. If this is honored, we will consider how to proceed," a state official said.
    Some 40 Qassam rockets and Grad missiles were fired at the western Negev communities throughout Tuesday. Two people were lightly hurt by shrapnel and about 60 suffered shock.
    The rocket fire reached new ranges on Tuesday, with Grad missiles landing in Beersheba and near the cities of Kiryat Malachi and Rahat.

    Earlier Tuesday, government ministers approved the draft of 2,500 reserve soldiers, in addition to the enlistment of 6,700 reservists which was approved earlier this week, in order to expand the fighting units ahead of a possible ground incursion in Gaza.

    The move was aimed at signaling that Israel's plans to possibly enter the Strip in order to oppress the Palestinian rocket fire still stand.
    Defense officials clarified that Israel's ground incursion may be avoided due to the harsh weather conditions expected in the next 48 hours. However, the IDF is prepared to defend the home front if it realizes that there is no other way to stop the rocket and mortar fire.

    An increasing number of ministers demanded Tuesday night that Israel turn down calls made by France and other countries to accept a ceasefire.
    Deputy Prime Minister Eli Yishai said the Gaza operation must not be halted until the Israel Air Force hits its entire bank of targets. Then, he said, Israel should allow four-hour pauses each time for the delivery of aid into the Strip and in order to examine Hamas' willingness to accept a ceasefire
     
  2. toomuchtime_
    Offline

    toomuchtime_ Gold Member

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2008
    Messages:
    5,481
    Thanks Received:
    703
    Trophy Points:
    190
    Ratings:
    +1,938
    ------------------------------------------------------------

    Quite right. With Hamas, which is doctrinally committed to the destruction of Israel rapidly increasing the range and accuracy of its rockets and missiles, the question is not if Israel should launch a ground assault, but when it should. Imo, it would be a mistake to allow the current operation to disinegrate into another unstable cease fire that will only lead to another assault when it expires. Such a delay will only cost more casualties on both sides and will benefit no one.
     
  3. DavidS
    Offline

    DavidS Anti-Tea Party Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Messages:
    9,811
    Thanks Received:
    766
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    New York, NY
    Ratings:
    +767
    Ehud Barak is the one against the invasion. Fortunately, he is no longer Prime Minister. The second Intafada got him booted out of office for Sharon. When Bibi was prime minister, there were no suicide bombings in Israel, no rocket attacks, nothing... we weren't at peace, I wouldn't say, but we weren't at war.
     
  4. toomuchtime_
    Offline

    toomuchtime_ Gold Member

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2008
    Messages:
    5,481
    Thanks Received:
    703
    Trophy Points:
    190
    Ratings:
    +1,938
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

    I don't think the article said Barak was opposed to the invasion, but only that he favored a pause before the invasion, perhaps to strengthen Israel's argument that Israel had no alternative to an invasion if Hamas didn't stop firing rockets when Israel paused in its assault. On the other hand, when he was PM, Barak did offer Arafat far more than any other Israeli leader would have and far more than the Israeli public would have approved, so perhaps you are correct in thinking he is unrealistically expecting Hamas to respond to a pause by offering a durable cease fire. In any case, the Israeli media and Israeli people are demanding that the rocket fire be ended, so whatever Barak may be thinking he will have no choice but to proceed with the ground assault since Hamas is not going to offer the kind of durable cease fire the Israeli people are demanding.
     

Share This Page