Trouble from abroad

Lyte

Mar 1, 2011
Tampere, Finland
Having some interest in US politics, I decided to create an account here. As an liberal and leftist Finn, I naturally fit right in here <grin>.
I don't expect to be very active in these forums. From time to time when US politics caught my eye, ill drop by and check what people are discussing about the subject - and express my views.

I found this site while looking for information about the Walker/Koch prank call and how it is affecting the situation in Wisconsin - in case someone is wondering about that - yeah...

Anyways, good day to you all.

Lyte

Having some interest in US politics, I decided to create an account here. As an liberal and leftist Finn, I naturally fit right in here <grin>.
I don't expect to be very active in these forums. From time to time when US politics caught my eye, ill drop by and check what people are discussing about the subject - and express my views.

I found this site while looking for information about the Walker/Koch prank call and how it is affecting the situation in Wisconsin - in case someone is wondering about that - yeah...

Lyte
How can you be trouble if you won't be here much?

Anywho, two Republicans introduced a bill in Wisconsin making prank calls illegal.

:lol:

It's the quality not the quantity.
Anywho, two Republicans introduced a bill in Wisconsin making prank calls illegal.
Awesome, that will fix it! :cuckoo:

What has finnland done to help the world?
Well right now we are just happy standing as an example to all you other countries how to run a country succesfully, which really can't be said about the US atm.. I'm sure our 5+ million people country doesn't really reach to your great achievements, but could you please remind me what were those again?

I am not amused by trolls that pose in front of a burning American Flag.
Pic is from an American made music video back in 1992, I think the artist was trying to tell you something.

Well right now we are just happy standing as an example to all you other countries how to run a country succesfully, which really can't be said about the US atm.. I'm sure our 5+ million people country doesn't really reach to your great achievements, but could you please remind me what were those again?
Pic is from an American made music video back in 1992, I think the artist was trying to tell you something.

read a paper, any paper, or any history book. The list is very very long in a very short time frame

The only thing it tells me is that the artist and you are assholes.

I am sure that there are far different problems that a 5 million population country and a 300 million population country have, wouldn't you agree? Would you also agree that a 5 million population nation would be more managable than one with a higher population? Just askin....and not putting down Finland

read a paper, any paper, or any history book. The list is very very long in a very short time frame

But you are not willing to discuss specifics? fine, I thought this was a political forum...you know, where people discuss about politics.

Now now, instead of name calling - I thought you would come up with something witty.

I am sure that there are far different problems that a 5 million population country and a 300 million population country have, wouldn't you agree? Would you also agree that a 5 million population nation would be more managable than one with a higher population? Just askin....and not putting down Finland

I totally agree, now if every state in US would be it's own country, would you say they would fair better on their own? (There has been some effort here to make a "united state of EU", so I'm really interested in your reply. )

Lyte

Everybody in Finland is White. You guys must freak out when you see someone of color.

But you are not willing to discuss specifics? fine, I thought this was a political forum...you know, where people discuss about politics.

Now now, instead of name calling - I thought you would come up with something witty.

I totally agree, now if every state in US would be it's own country, would you say they would fair better on their own? (There has been some effort here to make a "united state of EU", so I'm really interested in your reply. )

Welcome Lyte.

Join us when you can and maybe you can share some aspect of your country with us. I hate to say it, but we in the US sometimes forget that there are plenty of other wonderful places to live in this world. I know little of your politics, so, please don't ask me to discuss that with you.

May I ask why the troubles in Wisconsin are so intriguing to you?

Immie

Lyte

Everybody in Finland is White. You guys must freak out when you see someone of color.

:lol::lol::lol:

Nah, every day when you walk in these streets, you see a few people of color. I'ts true we are a very homogeneous nation (of whites), but just the other week my neighbour, an Iranian lady baked breads for the whole building to thank us for being nice to her family when they were moving in - so we don't freak out, were good.

I'm a union guy. I think it is peoples right to organize into labor unions and fundamentally it is for the good of the nation when people do so. So, when I heard about what was going on in Wisconsin I was appalled. I didn't think a governor would try something like that simply to crush labor unions, and I was thrilled to see how people were protesting and how Democrat Senate representatives were doing everything they could trying to prevent the bill to pass.

Generally I have had the impression that people were pretty inactive politically in US, so to see the opposite, it restored my faith in the people of US.

Nah, every day when you walk in these streets, you see a few people of color. I'ts true we are a very homogeneous nation (of whites), but just the other week my neighbour, an Iranian lady baked breads for the whole building to thank us for being nice to her family when they were moving in - so we don't freak out, were good.

Do the people of Finland ever worry about deranged Muslims killing a bunch of innocent Finns?

I'm a union guy. I think it is peoples right to organize into labor unions and fundamentally it is for the good of the nation when people do so. So, when I heard about what was going on in Wisconsin I was appalled. I didn't think a governor would try something like that simply to crush labor unions, and I was thrilled to see how people were protesting and how Democrat Senate representatives were doing everything they could trying to prevent the bill to pass.

Generally I have had the impression that people were pretty inactive politically in US, so to see the opposite, it restored my faith in the people of US.
Ya' see, there's your first mistake......You are buying into the liberal BS put out by the loons in this country. The governor isn't trying to "crush" the unions........Educate yourself beyong the spin of the liberal loons in this country, and you'll get a lot farther with actual debate.

Ya' see, there are people in this country who are appalled by the union teachers who are stepping all over the FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS of the children to an education by abandoning them in their classrooms. They are appalled by the union teachers who are causing financial hardship on parents who are already struggling to get by, and now have to take time off work at a loss of pay to ensure their children are safe and being cared for, because the teachers abandoned them in their classrooms. They are appalled that the union teachers were blatantly committing fraud, a very serious crime, by accepting fraudulent doctors notes from fraudulent doctors, in an attempt to defraud taxpayers out of unearned pay.

And, i'll say it again, the governor is not trying to crush the unions.

Last edited:
Do the people of Finland ever worry about deranged Muslims killing a bunch of innocent Finns?

Hate crimes against Finns by Muslims have never occurred so far, but the immigration situation has stirred a quite a debate here and a right wing party "True Finns" has risen to match the three power parties (National Coalition Party, Centre Party and Social Democratic Party of Finland) mainly campaigning on "resolving the immigration issue".

We have parliamentary elections on 17.4.2011 and for long time a new player has emerged to stir the political scene here in Finland so we are living exiting times.

Hate crimes against Finns by Muslims have never occurred so far, but the immigration situation has stirred a quite a debate here and a right wing party "True Finns" has risen to match the three power parties (National Coalition Party, Centre Party and Social Democratic Party of Finland) mainly campaigning on "resolving the immigration issue".

We have parliamentary elections on 17.4.2011 and for long time a new player has emerged to stir the political scene here in Finland so we are living exiting times.

"True Finns"? I gotta say that sounds arrogant to me. So the rest of the citizens of Finland are what?

Immie

Ya' see, there are people in this country who are appalled by the union teachers who are stepping all over the FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS of the children to an education by abandoning them in their classrooms. They are appalled by the union teachers who are causing financial hardship on parents who are already struggling to get by, and now have to take time off work at a loss of pay to ensure their children are safe and being cared for, because the teachers abandoned them in their classrooms. They are appalled that the union teachers were blatantly committing fraud, a very serious crime, by accepting fraudulent doctors notes from fraudulent doctors, in an attempt to defraud taxpayers out of unearned pay.
I think it is pretty hypocritical to blame the teachers for abandoning children to classrooms when their pensions and benefits and right to collectively negotiate is threatened by the state. If their job action is legal or illegal doesn't really matter, these benefits were negotiated with the state and commonly agreed upon so it is understandable that they protest. Expecially since they have agreed to every demand by the state, except to let go their collective right to negotiate - that has nothing to do with fixing the economy, it is just an attempt to seize power from the unions.
How are the union teachers to blame for the financial hardship of parents?
If the teachers have committed some sort of a crime, surely it is a criminal matter, not a political one?

Attacking the collective bargaining right is an attack against the unions, not an argument why to reduce the benefits/packages the state can't afford now.

I think it is pretty hypocritical to blame the teachers for abandoning children to classrooms when their pensions and benefits and right to collectively negotiate is threatened by the state. If their job action is legal or illegal doesn't really matter, these benefits were negotiated with the state and commonly agreed upon so it is understandable that they protest. Expecially since they have agreed to every demand by the state, except to let go their collective right to negotiate - that has nothing to do with fixing the economy, it is just an attempt to seize power from the unions.
If the teachers have committed some sort of a crime, surely it is a criminal matter, not a political one?

Attacking the collective bargaining right is an attack against the unions, not an argument why to reduce the benefits/packages the state can't afford now.

Wrong. They should protest on their own time, on their own dime, just like the rest of us.

The financial hardship of the parents comes in this manner: if I cannot send my child to school but I have to work then I have to pay a babysitter or take time off work myself in order to take care of my child. That costs money either way.

As for the teacher's complaints themselves, I have to say, I do not feel all that sorry for them. Here is what I understand to be the issues behind this strike:

Wisconsin Budget Gap: Blame Politicians or Teachers' Unions? - TIME

On Tuesday, Feb. 15, Secretary of Education Arne Duncan convened hundreds of teachers'-union leaders and school-district leaders in Denver to discuss ways management and labor could work together better. Kumbaya!

Two days later, all hell broke loose in Madison, Wis. The flash point was Republican Governor Scott Walker's plan to address the state's budget gap by making public employees contribute more to health care coverage, coupled with a proposal to eliminate collective bargaining for most public employees — including teachers. Democratic state legislators went into hiding to thwart a vote on the measure, and schools closed as thousands of teachers left their classrooms to descend on the state capital.

I have to say again, I do not feel all that sorry for them. Just over a year ago, I finally lost my job. I had not had a raise in three years. I had to fund my own "retirement", which is now dwindling very quickly and because of the economic situation, I'm finding it very difficult to find a new job. As far as I am concerned, they should be thrilled to death that they can still fund their retirement.

I respect their right to try to do the best they can for themselves and trying to negotiate the best wages and benefits that they can, but I sure as hell hope they are not looking for sympathy from me when their employer says, "sorry, but we simply cannot afford this right now."

Immie

Forum List

Back