Trophy Hunting -- Yea or Nay?

Tophy Hunting: Yes or No?

• Yes. Men should shoot any and every animal for its head.

• No. There's no need to kill animals just to appear macho.

• Other. There could be instances where trophy hunting is acceptable. (Please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

DriftingSand

Cast Iron Member
Feb 16, 2014
State of Disgust!
I've read articles about dudes who hunt African game (Hippos, Rhinos, Elephants, etc.) just to say that they did and to mount a head on the wall. I'm not personally a fan of this type of hunting. I'm not about killing just for the sake of killing. It's not really that hard to park a Range Rover by some bushes; aim a Weatherby .460 Magnum rifle at some Hippo 300 yards away; and shoot it through the shoulder; then have your guide chop off its head. I don't really see the sport in that and I find it wasteful and unnecessary.

Namibia-Farthest-Gear-Patrol-.jpg

I think there are really only 5 good reasons to shoot animals:

1) For food! This is the best reason.
2) To thin out overpopulated herds of a specific species for the ultimate benefit of that species. This type of hunting has proven to be beneficial time and again.
3) For self protection or for immediate protection of another human life.
4) Pest control in an around farmland or ranches. There are some animals (certain birds, gophers, moles, prairie dogs, wolves, etc.) that can devastate crops or livestock). A farmer or rancher has the important task of feeding populations of people and have the right to protect their livelihood.
5) To put an animal out of its misery, pain, or suffering.

But shooting a Rhino for its head or horn doesn't fit into the above categories in my opinion.

I've read articles about dudes who hunt African game (Hippos, Rhinos, Elephants, etc.) just to say that they did and to mount a head on the wall. I'm not personally a fan of this type of hunting. I'm not about killing just for the sake of killing. It's not really that hard to park a Range Rover by some bushes; aim a Weatherby .460 Magnum rifle at some Hippo 300 yards away; and shoot it through the shoulder; then have your guide chop off its head. I don't really see the sport in that and I find it wasteful and unnecessary.

2) To thin out overpopulated herds of a specific species for the ultimate benefit of that species. This type of hunting has proven to be beneficial time and again.
4) Pest control in an around farmland or ranches. There are some animals (certain birds, gophers, moles, prairie dogs, wolves, etc.) that can devastate crops or livestock). A farmer or rancher has the important task of feeding populations of people and have the right to protect their livelihood.

But shooting a Rhino for its head or horn doesn't fit into the above categories in my opinion.
Paying $100,000 in guide fees, trophy fees, lodging, etc, raises money to protect these animal.

I wouldn't do it, if I had the money, but, it does provide the money for game management.

Until there is an alternative source of revenue, it will go on.

Paying $100,000 in guide fees, trophy fees, lodging, etc, raises money to protect these animal.

I wouldn't do it, if I had the money, but, it does provide the money for game management.

Until there is an alternative source of revenue, it will go on.

There is truth to that but if these guys are truly concerned about game management then they can simply give $100,000 to the cause without shooting the animals they purport to protect. But I know where you're coming from.

If you eat and use what you kill I have no objections. If you're only doing it for a picture, trophy, etc. then I have a big problem with it and would have no problem with anti-hunter hunters stalking the trophy hunters. :)

If you eat and use what you kill I have no objections. If you're only doing it for a picture, trophy, etc. then I have a big problem with it and would have no problem with anti-hunter hunters stalking the trophy hunters. :)
The US has been sending special forces members to help snipe out any poachers..

Giving AK-47's to spear chuckers killed off more game than all the trophy hunters in history.

there is too little information from the picture posted

the fees and permits may have gone to further the hippo population of the area

how do we know that the critter was wasted

The picture is just one example. In that particular case perhaps the animal went to good use but I'm talking about the bigger picture and the underlying "need" to shoot animals simply for a wall trophy.

Your poll is missing to many options.
Personally I dont go looking for trophies,if I stumble across one and I dont already have a better one,I'll take the animal.
Of course I wont shoot it unless I plan on eating it.

And as was mentioned there are plenty of good reasons that have nothing to do with how big of a rack an animal has.
Although there are some animals you obviously shoudnt kill just because of their rarity.

The picture is just one example. In that particular case perhaps the animal went to good use but I'm talking about the bigger picture and the underlying "need" to shoot animals simply for a wall trophy.

in nature things don't go to waste

although i am not a head hunter

i have over the years taken some pretty spectacular game over the years

I dont begrudge someone the right to do so as long as it's done in a humane way and doesnt harm the population.
I hunt for the enjoyment of getting out in the woods and putting meat on the table personally.
And given the choice I'd rather go bird hunting than deer hunting just because it's more difficult.

Personally I dont go looking for trophies,if I stumble across one and I dont already have a better one,I'll take the animal.

And as was mentioned there are plenty of good reasons that have nothing to do with how big of a rack an animal has.
Although there are some animals you obviously shoudnt kill just because of their rarity.

you have to be careful harvesting to many trophy class animals

otherwise one can hurt the population by taking the strong

and leaving the less desirable genetic ones to breed

Yep...Thats one of the reasons I dont have a problem with so called canned hunts.
The animal was bred to be taken so it doesnt effect the natural population.
And some of those animals invariably escape and help with the natural population as can be seen in the Texas Hill country.
My favorite four legged critter is the Axis deer from India.
Beautiful rack and hide and the meat is far better than a whitetail.
Go to 2:20 mark.

Yep...Thats one of the reasons I dont have a problem with so called canned hunts.
And some of those animals invariably escape and help with the natural population as can be seen in the Texas Hill country.

nice deer cool looking

white tail here

looks like the guy hit that one a little off mass

with my Myles Keller i have had deer run less then fifteen yards and drop

Some fallow deer escaped from a game park near where I used to live.

I never saw them during deer season, and was not sure if you could shoot them anyway, or, if the law would set it like you were shooting somebody's cow or horse.

All sorts of exotics wandering around in Texas.

Newest "exotic" here in the Piney Woods is horses, turned loose by people who can no longer or will no longer feed them.

nice deer cool looking

white tail here

Yeah,looks like he gut shot him.
If you ever get a chance I highly recommend you take one,doe or buck the meat taste like beef because they are grass eaters.
You can steak out the whole animal because there is zero gamey taste.

Some fallow deer escaped from a game park near where I used to live.

I never saw them during deer season, and was not sure if you could shoot them anyway, or, if the law would set it like you were shooting somebody's cow or horse.

All sorts of exotics wandering around in Texas.

Newest "exotic" here in the Piney Woods is horses, turned loose by people who can no longer or will no longer feed them.

As long as they aren't tagged they're open game and you can shoot em year round,no season.

nice deer cool looking

white tail here

Yeah,looks like he gut shot him.
If you ever get a chance I highly recommend you take one,doe or buck the meat taste like beef because they are grass eaters.
You can steak out the whole animal because there is zero gamey taste.

they do look tasty

Forum List

Back