Troops

Delephinki

Rookie
May 31, 2009
my brother joined the marines and has left last week for boot camp. This made me think about all of the people that are worried about their children or family at war. I realize that he may die but he is fighting for the freedom of another nation. I believe that if he dies at least he died fighting for something he believes in.

Of course, death is something that cannot be dismissed as something not to worry about. However, consider the following:

1. Statistically speaking, the number of troops killed either in action or as the result of a non-combat related accident is very minor. If wounded, the chances are significantly in his favor that he will survive the encounter.

2. He will be trained by experienced non-commissioned officers and will be under their care and supervision throughout his military career. These are men who do not accept failure as an option; these are men who are conditioned to win at all costs; these are men who understand the wisdom of calling in an air strike than rushing a hill.

3. No one in the military is ever taught to die for his or her country. They are all taught to make the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.

I know it's scary to know that a loved one is waltzing around in a combat zone, and it's natural to worry. But please understand that he will follow a path long established by others that is designed for success.

Forum List

Back