Troops Deserve More Than Bumper Sticker Support

Discussion in 'Military' started by 82Marine89, Nov 10, 2007.

1. 82Marine89

82Marine89 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37
    For this Veterans Day weekend I decided to read “Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10.” The story is about four U.S. Navy SEALs whose June 2005 mission in northern Afghanistan “was to capture or kill a notorious al Qaeda leader known to be ensconced in a Taliban stronghold surrounded by a small but heavily armed force. Less than 24 hours later, only one of those Navy SEALs remained alive,” Marcus Luttrell.

This book is Luttrell’s first-person account of that tragic day, “the largest loss of life in Navy SEAL history.” All thanks to asinine rules of engagement our military personnel are forced to fight under. I couldn’t possibly explain this intolerable situation better or with more moral authority than Leading Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell himself, so consider the following taken directly from the first chapter of his book:

This Veterans Day, let’s commit to doing more than just slapping an “I Support the Troops” bumper sticker on our car or tying a yellow ribbon ‘round the old oak tree. Let’s commit to fighting to give men like Marcus Luttrell the freedom, authority and confidence they need to do the job they’ve been trained to do and we’ve asked them to do. Supporting the troops doesn’t mean bringing them home while the threat to our nation and our citizens still exists. It means letting them win. It means letting them kick (expletive) and take names. It means pinning a medal on their chest for killing a bad guy, not pinning a murder rap on them.

And it means extending a heartfelt “Thank You!” to each and every veteran you come across this Veterans Day. They’ve earned it. And then some.

click the link for Muth's Truth's

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    From the extract of the book it appears to be a load of self-serving tosh. If someone in the military doesn't like following orders then either don't join or get out. The permanent truth is that the military is there to follow the instructions of its political masters. Any civilian government that doesn't keep its military under the tightest of controls and fail to deal firmly and expeditiously with any rejection of those controls is a government that is riding the tiget's back.

3. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,016
    Yes of course, rules that require you to be fired on before firing are of course just peachy keen when some lawyer draws them up for some politician that has only the risk of the car ride to and from the meeting. Ignorant pap from you not withstanding.

4. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Seems to me that it is not quite that cut and dried. If it were, then "I was only following orders!" would be a valid defense in any war crimes trial. We alll know how that flies!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. actsnoblemartin

actsnoblemartin I love Andrea & April

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +407
    they deserve everything possible, to have an easy life after service.

6. DanChisholm

DanChisholm Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My roommates and I were talking about this yesterday. I think it's horrible that people always want to give a parade and then forget about the veterans. We should be doing everything we can to make sure veterans can get jobs. In this country, 25% of ALL homeless people are veterans. This atrocity should never occur in a country supposedly as great as the United States of America.

7. Alpha1

Alpha1 NAVY

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Even worse...some little pricks like Diuretic, wouldn't even bother with the parade...

8. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    If you don't like the rules you can do one of two things.

1. Get them changed.
    2. Quit.

As far as I know there's no option that says you can disobey them because you don't like them. Any rules that didn't allow for self-defence would be deficient in any case.

9. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    True enough, superior orders always fails as a defence in criminal trials.

10. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    They deserve that and more.