Trooper's Shooting Of Burglary Suspect Spotlights Self-Defense Law

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
INDIANAPOLIS -- Laws allowing people to use deadly force to stop someone from unlawfully entering their dwellings are being highlighted by this week's fatal shooting of a burglary suspect by an off-duty state police trooper.

Police said Trooper Joel D. Wilson, 39, was alone inside his east-side Indianapolis home Monday when he fired two shots through the front door, striking Theodore E. Hixenbaugh at least once. Wilson told authorities that Hixenbaugh had first knocked on the door and, when Wilson didn't answer, Hixenbaugh tried to kick the door down.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/5591346/detail.html

Sounds open-shut. Guys tries to kick down his door thinking no one is home. He then gets shot. Makes perfect sense to me. He wasnt kicking his door down to sell an empty house any cookies.

You fear this is going to get blown out of proportion, jeff?

I think the Cop did the right thing. And as an aside, if the colour of the individuals was reversed, there would have been weeks of rioting, likely. :(

insein said:
Sounds open-shut. Guys tries to kick down his door thinking no one is home. He then gets shot. Makes perfect sense to me. He wasnt kicking his door down to sell an empty house any cookies.

You fear this is going to get blown out of proportion, jeff?

Yeah, I think some anti-gun groups will try to use this as an 'evil cop with guns' story. But, since it was a black cop and a white thug, it will probably never work.

Frankly, I agree with you, it's a very cut and dry case.

dmp said:
I think the Cop did the right thing. And as an aside, if the colour of the individuals was reversed, there would have been weeks of rioting, likely. :(

Im sure JJ read the headline and was packing his bags till he saw the photo. Then he had to go in search of another racial crime in the works. Perhaps he can go bash McNabb again for not getting TO more money. There is always work to be done for the Reverand.

Forum List

Back