Troll control

G

Gabriella84

Just something to think about:

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

As a pejorative, the term "troll" may also be a slander of opponents in heated debates, a tactic often used by trolls and non-trolls. Many times a person will post a sincere message that they are emotionally sensitive about and trolls know that the easiest way to upset them is to falsely claim that they are a troll. On other occasions a person may not instantly understand or fit into the social norms of a forum where most people are the same - and so acting just slightly out of social norms, often unintentionally, for legitimate reasons gets the poster falsely called a troll. Sometimes persons who merely want to be funny are accused of trolling, when that is not their intent. Many trolls now find that the traditional trolling tactics are so overused and commonplace that they have to disguise their trolling to make it effective - although, quite often, the disguising merely involves falsely accusing others of being trolls themselves.

Gabriella84 said:
Just something to think about:

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

In the context of the Internet, a troll is a message that is inflammatory or hostile, which by effect or design causes a disruptions in discourse, or a person posting such messages. Trolling can be described as a breaching experiment, which, because of the use of an alternate persona, allows for normal social boundaries and rules of etiquette to be tested or otherwise broken, without serious consequences.

Self-proclaimed "trolls" may style themselves as devil's advocates, gadflies or "culture jammers," challenging the dominant discourse and assumptions of forum discussions in an attempt to break the status quo of groupthink. Critics have claimed that genuine "devil's advocates" generally identify themselves as such out of respect for etiquette and courtesy, while trolls may dismiss etiquette and courtesy altogether.

The word likely gained currency because of its conveniently apt second meaning, drawn from the "trolls" portrayed in Scandinavian folklore and children's tales, which are often ugly, obnoxious creatures bent on wickedness and mischief.

See also: Gabriella84 ;)

Fits you to a T, I'd guess.

Joz said:
Sweety, you make this statement and then post the one above. I don't get it. Either you care or you don't. You have to decide.

I will say this, there are such things as manners. I don't mean the please & thank you kind. The manners that get you thru this life, that help you get along with others. You can't just barge into anyplace, speak like your word is gospel & expect to be accepted. We all have opinions...and they sometimes collide...even among friends.

I think there are some underlying issues for your behavior, but, that's just me.
Maybe a look inside yourself might give you the answers you're looking for.

I agree with what Joz has written Gabby. I don't have a clue if Gabby was trying to say that perhaps she came on a bit too strong. If that's the case, you've already taken the hits for it. There are times when all of us feel so strongly about something, that we think others should just agree with us.

I for one feel strongly that discrimination/prejudice is wrong, and have come on very strongly with long time members such as WJ and Dillo. I haven't a clue to their hearts or experiences, I just say what I believe, sometimes a bit too strongly-it causes more problems than it solves.

Then again, Gabby might be insinuating the rest of us have been acting as trolls? :dunno: She is very deep and complex, just ask her. :rolleyes:

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
Kathianne said:
I agree with what Joz has written Gabby. I don't have a clue if Gabby was trying to say that perhaps she came on a bit too strong. If that's the case, you've already taken the hits for it. There are times when all of us feel so strongly about something, that we think others should just agree with us.

I for one feel strongly that discrimination/prejudice is wrong, and have come on very strongly with long time members such as WJ and Dillo. I haven't a clue to their hearts or experiences, I just say what I believe, sometimes a bit too strongly-it causes more problems than it solves.

Then again, Gabby might be insinuating the rest of us have been acting as trolls? :dunno: She is very deep and complex, just ask her. :rolleyes:

Since all she posted was someone else's words with no stated opinion of her own, and/or explanation as to its application here, your guesses are as good as anyone's! ;)

Forum List

Back