Triple Helix: national governments, industry, and higher education

The Triple Helix homepage

http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0019/001937/193750e.pdf

Republicans believe universities are hotbeds of liberalism and education is overrated (after all, science is a faith, evolution a lie and climate change a conspiracy).

Government should "get out of the way" (because they can't do anything right. Look at 8 years under Bush. That proves it.)

Business can do it all, just don't tax them and give them money (because they are sitting on trillions in unspent capital).

This is why our asses are getting kicked around the world. Especially Asia. They refer to the "Triple Helix" as the "Golden Helix" because they understand such a partnership brings in the dough.

We have to get away from this Republican fantasy of economics. They can't even say "supply and demand".

You want to move from the military-industrial complex and give more power to the educational industrial complex?

Be careful what you wish for.

You claim to admire Eisenhower, do you remember what he said in his final address?

Akin to, and largely responsible for the sweeping changes in our industrial-military posture, has been the technological revolution during recent decades. In this revolution, research has become central; it also becomes more formalized, complex, and costly. A steadily increasing share is conducted for, by, or at the direction of, the Federal government.
Today, the solitary inventor, tinkering in his shop, has been overshadowed by task forces of scientists in laboratories and testing fields. In the same fashion, the free university, historically the fountainhead of free ideas and scientific discovery, has experienced a revolution in the conduct of research. Partly because of the huge costs involved, a government contract becomes virtually a substitute for intellectual curiosity. For every old blackboard there are now hundreds of new electronic computers. The prospect of domination of the nation’s scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present — and is gravely to be regarded.
Yet, in holding scientific research and discovery in respect, as we should, we must also be alert to the equal and opposite danger that public policy could itself become the captive of a scientific-technological elite.​

It was a "warning" not a prophecy. Scientific-technological elite? That's who is kicking our asses overseas. Corn farmers in Kansas are needed, but even they get their corn from scientists.

I find it hilarious that right wingers argue AGAINST science, scientists and education. Hilarious. And they want to be "billionaires"? How they gonna get there? Short answer, they won't.

You know something?

Everyone already knows you are an idiot, you do not have to prove it every time you post.

You want to move from the military-industrial complex and give more power to the educational industrial complex?

Be careful what you wish for.

You claim to admire Eisenhower, do you remember what he said in his final address?

It was a "warning" not a prophecy. Scientific-technological elite? That's who is kicking our asses overseas. Corn farmers in Kansas are needed, but even they get their corn from scientists.

I find it hilarious that right wingers argue AGAINST science, scientists and education. Hilarious. And they want to be "billionaires"? How they gonna get there? Short answer, they won't.

You know something?

Everyone already knows you are an idiot, you do not have to prove it every time you post.

Don't worry. I know who the idiots are.

They are the ones who scream I know nothing about economics when I mention "supply and demand". They insist evolution is just a "theory". They call science a "faith". They say Climate Change is a conspiracy. They are against "health care". They don't want to "waste money" on rebuilding America. They call education a "piece of paper". They say Iraq was a wild "success". Those are the idiots. But they call me an idiot because they know they have the "truth", that's why they don't need to bother "proving it". Because they already "know" it to be true. It's true because they have a "gut" feeling that tells them it's true. That's all the "proof" they need. The idiots.

You know something?

Don't worry. I know who the idiots are.

They are the ones who scream I know nothing about economics when I mention "supply and demand". They insist evolution is just a "theory". They call science a "faith". They say Climate Change is a conspiracy. They are against "health care". They don't want to "waste money" on rebuilding America. They call education a "piece of paper". They say Iraq was a wild "success". Those are the idiots. But they call me an idiot because they know they have the "truth", that's why they don't need to bother "proving it". Because they already "know" it to be true. It's true because they have a "gut" feeling that tells them it's true. That's all the "proof" they need. The idiots.

You keep talking about GDP and unemployment, which is macroeconomics. Supply and demand is microeconomics, which is a separate topic entirely. The fact that you do not know that actually proves the "idiots" who tell you you do not know what you are talking about are right.

Evolution is a theory, just like the standard model of physics. The standard model has been used for years as the foundation for all sorts of studies, has held up to experimental testing for decades, and was all but accepted by most scientists as true. The problem is that the LHC has all but eliminated the possibility that the Higgs bosun actually exists, and that will crash the standard model completely. I actually agree with Hawking here, things are going to get interesting now.

If someone stumbled over something tomorrow that proved that evolution is wrong real scientists would rejoice. You would cry because you depend on evolution as proof that you are right. Personally, I could care less. Evolution explains most of the questions we have about species, and can be tweaked to cover the things we are learning, but it really doesn't have to be true, all it has to do is work. It does, and when it doesn't I will enjoy getting closer to the truth.

Climate change is something that is happening. The attempt to make money off if it, and to use it as a political tool to force developed economies to support undeveloped countries at the expense of everyone's standard of living is a conspiracy. The proof of that is the claim that it is incontrovertible.

Just think about something, if you can. Nothing in science is incontrovertible. The very idea that anything cannot be debated in science is abhorrent to real scientists. Galileo debated the incontrovertible fact that the Earth is the center of the universe. Pasteur debated the incontrovertible fact that disease was caused by sin. Einstein debated the incontrovertible fact that time is constant. When something becomes incontrovertible it ceases to be science.

For the record, I will actually break one of my own rules here and say flat out that no one is against health care. The fact that you try to make that claim is proof of who the idiot in that debate is.

Education is not a piece of paper, education is a lifetime of learning. A degree, in the other hand, is a piece of paper. I know this to be a fact because Glenn Beck has a degree.

Iraq was a success, ask Obama if you do not believe me.

Since I just dealt with every "truth" you posted, and proved you to be wrong on all counts, who is the idiot here? You do not post links because you make things up, and then expect people to buy into it because everyone knows Republicans are anti-science and anti-education, and that makes them evull.

If just makes you stupid.

Forum List

Back