Trinity Sunday

Is god a man? No.
Is jesus a man? sort of.
Is the holy spirit a man? no.

Thus the conception of them as three PEOPLE is only 1/6 accurate.

Kathianne said:
Good analogy. I think there was an Irish priest that used the shamrock to make the point way back when. ;)

I don't think anyone has a problem with the concept of parts and whole; it's calling them three people and making the further leap to "god as community" that I have problem with.

rtwngAvngr said:
.... Sorry, joz. I fully disagree.
And you have that right. I can only give you Bible proof.
But the Godhead is one of the fundamentals of Christianity. Some think that Jesus is the only God. If that is the case, then there was no God when Jesus died on the cross & laid in the tomb for 3 days. God has always existed. The last part of Psalms 90:2 says, From everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.

John 17:5,6, Of Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory I had with thee before the world was.
Luke 1:35 .....The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the the Highest shall overshadow thee.....shall be called the Son of God.
Hebrews 1:5,6, .....And again I will be to him a Father and he shall be unto me a Son.
Matthew 3:17, And lo a voice from heaven saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
Phillipians 1:9-11, ...and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus....And that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father.

Joz said:
And you have that right. I can only give you Bible proof.
But the Godhead is one of the fundamentals of Christianity. Some think that Jesus is the only God. If that is the case, then there was no God when Jesus died on the cross & laid in the tomb for 3 days. God has always existed. The last part of Psalms 90:2 says, From everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.

John 17:5,6, Of Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory I had with thee before the world was.
Luke 1:35 .....The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the the Highest shall overshadow thee.....shall be called the Son of God.
Hebrews 1:5,6, .....And again I will be to him a Father and he shall be unto me a Son.
Matthew 3:17, And lo a voice from heaven saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
Phillipians 1:9-11, ...and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus....And that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father.

The thrust of the article though, is explaining the trinity as "three regular guys" which is not true, and pushing god as community, which is new age crapola.

rtwngAvngr said:
The thrust of the article though, is explaining the trinity as "three regular guys" which is not true, and pushing god as community, which is new age crapola.
If that is your point then yes, I disagree. They aren't regular guys.

But if you are denying that there is indeed a Godhead, made of three seperate individuals..........

Acts 4:10, 12, ....by the name of Jesus Christ, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead......
John 3:8......So is everyone that is born of the Spirit.
John 3:16, For God so loved the world that he gave His only begotten Son.......

Joz said:
If that is your point then yes, I disagree. They aren't regular guys.

Yeah. I think the author is oversimplifying things to make it palatable to atheists, which is wrong, I believe.

This explains the Biblical foundations of the Trinity better than I could phrase it.

CARM said:
What is the Trinity?

The word "trinity" is a term used to denote the Christian doctrine that God exists as a unity of three distinct persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Each of the persons is distinct from the other, yet identical in essence. In other words, each is fully divine in nature, but each is not the totality of the Trinity. Each has a will, loves, and says "I", and "You" when speaking. The Father is not the same person as the Son who is not the same person as the Holy Spirit who is not the same person as the Father. Each is divine, yet there are not three gods, but one God. There are three individual subsistences, or persons. The word "subsistence" means something that has a real existence. The word "person" denotes individuality and self awareness. The Trinity is three of these, though the latter term has become the dominant one used to describe the individual aspects of God known as the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
Included in the doctrine of the Trinity is a strict monotheism which is the teaching that there exists in all the universe a single being known as God who is self-existent and unchangeable (Isaiah 43:10; 44:6,8). Therefore, it is important to note that the doctrine of the trinity is not polytheistic as some of its critics proclaim. Trinitarianism is monotheistic by definition and those who claim it is polytheistic demonstrate a lack of understanding of what it really is.

* The Trinity
o God is three persons
o Each person is divine
o There is only one God.

Many theologians admit that the term "person" is not a perfect word to describe the three individual aspects/foci found in God. When we normally use the word person, we understand it to mean physical individuals who exist as separate beings from other individuals. But in God there are not three entities, nor three beings. God, is a trinity of persons consisting of one substance and one essence. God is numerically one. Yet, within the single divine essence are three individual subsistences that we call persons.

* Each of the three persons is completely divine in nature though each is not the totality of the Godhead.
* Each of the three persons is not the other two persons.
* Each of the three persons is related to the other two, but are distinct from them.

The following verses are often used to demonstrate that in the doctrine of the Trinity is indeed biblical.

* Matt. 28:18, Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,
* 1 Cor. 12:4-6, Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord. And there are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons.
* 2 Cor. 13:14, The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with you all.
* Eph. 4:4-7, There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all. But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ’s gift.
* 1 Pet. 1:2, "according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, by the sanctifying work of the Spirit, that you may obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled with His blood: May grace and peace be yours in fullest measure."
* Jude 20-21, "But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith; praying in the Holy Spirit; keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting anxiously for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to eternal life."

http://www.carm.org/doctrine/whatisthetrinity.htm

Also, see the chart here, which shows how each Person of the Trinity shows divine attributes:

http://www.carm.org/doctrine/trinity.htm

rtwngAvngr said:
Yeah. I think the author is oversimplifying things to make it palatable to atheists, which is wrong, I believe.
Christ is referred to as "a Friend....that sticketh closer than a brother". While I believe this to be true, He is not the buddy kind of friend. Christ should be exalted among all men.

Joz said:
Christ is referred to as "a Friend....that sticketh closer than a brother". While I believe this to be true, He is not the buddy kind of friend. Christ should be exalted among all men.

Yes. Totally. And the author starts off staying the rights sorts of stuff, then simplifies and simplifies to please his closeminded guests. This may be fine in conversation, but let's not do this in our own minds when we conceptualize the trinity. JESUS is the way.

Joz said:
You had me really worried there for awhile RW. :fu2:

I'm extravigilant against christians being duped into noahidism (Theosophy )by downplaying christ, or not giving him the primacy he deserves.

Forum List

Back