Tricky GW?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.luxeword.com/exp/index.p...ountability_act_mentioned_by_gwb_in_the_sotu/

Lots of links at the site.
From the SOTU:

You have passed, and we are applying, the Syrian Accountability Act—and we expect the Syrian government to end all support for terror and open the door to freedom.

I thought I’d track down some info on just what that is.

Last week, President Bush signed into law H.R. 1828, the Syria Accountability and Lebanese Sovereignty Restoration Act of 2003. The legislation calls on the president to impose sanctions on Syria to discourage support for international terrorist groups and the occupation of Lebanon.

The bill demands that Syria end support for terrorism; halt the development of weapons of mass destruction (WMD) along with medium- and long-range missiles; and withdraw the roughly 20,000 troops it has deployed in Lebanon.

Here’s the text of the act:

108th CONGRESS
1st Session

S. 982

To halt Syrian support for terrorism, end its occupation of Lebanon, stop its development of weapons of mass destruction, cease its illegal importation of Iraqi oil, and hold Syria accountable for its role in the Middle East, and for other purposes.

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

May 1, 2003

And here’s the kicker. Do you know who introduced this act in the Senate, out of a very reasonable concern over weapons of mass destruction in the mid-east, before political expediency made her take a different position?

Mrs. BOXER (for herself and Mr. SANTORUM) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on Foreign Relations

How about that? Senator Barbara Boxer, of California, who recently accused Condi Rice of lying to the American people when expressing similar concerns, herself sponsored this bill.

I’m sure Mrs. Boxer is aware of the grave dangers of WMDs in Syria, and is at the same time convinced there could not possibly have been any such dangers in Hussein’s Iraq. And by the way, she also has a bridge she’d like to sell you.

Sir Evil said:
Seems like a good idea to me, shouldbe used against any country in support of terrorism!

I like this part, :cof:
Do you know who introduced this act in the Senate, out of a very reasonable concern over weapons of mass destruction in the mid-east, before political expediency made her take a different position?

Mrs. BOXER (for herself and Mr. SANTORUM) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on Foreign Relations

Forum List

Back