Trial set for firing over use of 'n' word

Again, what I find offensive or not is immaterial. To prove discrimination, it must be shown that discrimination exists. To make it equal the exact opposite would have to happen.

I do not believe hearsay evidence that someone black said the word ****** is equal.

The person fired never used the word EXCEPT in ASKING if it would be acceptable in his story. He neither used the word derogatorily or directed AT anyone. He was fired simply for ASKING if the word could or could not be used.

Did you read the full article? He was advocating using it on the air, in order to add "veracity" to the story. It's possible he was simply clueless, but dang that's insensitive at best. He was also using it according to the article at other times, telling at least one coworker that another called her a "n---- bitch".

But he still wasn't fired till it hit the papers. And IMO at that point it didn't matter what color his skin or what the context. He was a news anchor, a public figure. At that point, he also became a detriment to the station.

Only there 3 years in a major market station and already anchor....this guy came in with experience from somewhere, he should have known better.

Again, what I find offensive or not is immaterial. To prove discrimination, it must be shown that discrimination exists. To make it equal the exact opposite would have to happen.

I do not believe hearsay evidence that someone black said the word ****** is equal.

The person fired never used the word EXCEPT in ASKING if it would be acceptable in his story. He neither used the word derogatorily or directed AT anyone. He was fired simply for ASKING if the word could or could not be used.

Did you read the full article? He was advocating using it on the air, in order to add "veracity" to the story. It's possible he was simply clueless, but dang that's insensitive at best. He was also using it according to the article at other times, telling at least one coworker that another called her a "n---- bitch".

But he still wasn't fired till it hit the papers. And IMO at that point it didn't matter what color his skin or what the context. He was a news anchor, a public figure. At that point, he also became a detriment to the station.

Only there 3 years in a major market station and already anchor....this guy came in with experience from somewhere, he should have known better.

So advising a fellow worker of an inappropriate use of the term is racist? Once again he ask if they could use the word. That is the context of his firing. The blacks in the room were free to say it over and over in context of the story HE ASKED ABOUT.

As for why he asked, I would suggest as anchor he had a right to give his input on what he thought might make the story more believable.

It is after all JUST A WORD. And blacks use it ALL the time. If it really is so offensive maybe they should quit using it?

So advising a fellow worker of an inappropriate use of the term is racist? Once again he ask if they could use the word. That is the context of his firing. The blacks in the room were free to say it over and over in context of the story HE ASKED ABOUT.

As for why he asked, I would suggest as anchor he had a right to give his input on what he thought might make the story more believable.

It is after all JUST A WORD. And blacks use it ALL the time. If it really is so offensive maybe they should quit using it?

I have to point out here that "blacks use it all the time", well certain black folks use it all the time and others don't, as a general statement of outrage has no bearing on the firing. Only the facts in this case are determinative of whether the firing is correct in this case.

It may come down to the details on the two occasions it was "claimed" black employees used the term, in what context, whether it was released to the public and most important whether it was ever reported to management.

Racist? I have no idea whether the guy's a racist. Actually it sounds to me like he was actively engaging in some rather obnoxious office politics and got himself squashed. But seriously, wanting to use the full word as part of the evening news in Philly as a good idea? Are you out of your mind?

Here, to make it easy for you RGS, I know it is a long article:

The dispute began after Taylor, who is white, used the phrase the "n" word during the 2007 staff meeting. She said participants at the burial had said the full word "at least a hundred times or more," according to court records.
"Does this mean we can finally say the word n-?" Burlington asked colleagues, according to depositions.
Nicole Wolfe, a producer and one of the three African American employees among the nine people at the meeting, exclaimed: "I can't believe you just said that!"
Burlington told Taylor that although he did not necessarily expect her to use the word in her story, he thought that doing so gave the story more credence.

He asked if "we" can finally say "******" because another reporter told him that at a burial people said the n-word. He then further stated she should use the word "******" in her story. Which is ridiculous in itself...it is a story about a burial, for Gods sake.

Here, to make it easy for you RGS, I know it is a long article:

The dispute began after Taylor, who is white, used the phrase the "n" word during the 2007 staff meeting. She said participants at the burial had said the full word "at least a hundred times or more," according to court records.
"Does this mean we can finally say the word n-?" Burlington asked colleagues, according to depositions.
Nicole Wolfe, a producer and one of the three African American employees among the nine people at the meeting, exclaimed: "I can't believe you just said that!"
Burlington told Taylor that although he did not necessarily expect her to use the word in her story, he thought that doing so gave the story more credence.

He asked if "we" can finally say "******" because another reporter told him that at a burial people said the n-word. He then further stated she should use the word "******" in her story. Which is ridiculous in itself...it is a story about a burial, for Gods sake.

Not just a burial, but a group symbolically burying the very word. In other words, making a statement and a symbolic gesture that as a word it's dead and laid to rest. Of course in that context it was used.

But these symbolic burials are not uncommon among black community groups who are on the side against the use of the word - at all. It's either offensive or completely oblivious to hold the position that using the word and the event to point out that black folks who are trying to eradicate it "used" it in that context somehow lends "veracity" to a story about it once it's over. The whole point is advocating the word not be used anymore, by anyone.

The guy may just have been that clueless, or that focused on burning somebody's ass in the office that he didn't care, but it's interesting.

So he got fired for asking a question, right? The fact he told another co-worker that someone else had directed the word towards her is not a firing offense at all -he was reporting the offense to her -he didn't report it to her boss but to the person it was directed, allowing her to decide whether it should go higher or not. So really he got fired for asking a question involving the use of the word. He didn't get fired for actually USING it in reference to a person or for using it in any news report or for using it on air but for asking whether it could be used. Oh sure, I can see the justice in firing the dude now -that will teach others not to ask questions. All clear now. And your 4th grade teacher who told you there is no such thing as a stupid question was lying, right.

The word is a racial slur and it remains one no matter who is using it. If blacks on the job used the word -and used it in reference to another person -it is even worse than when this guy asked a question about actually using it. The skin color doesn't turn a racial slur into a term of endearment and everyone knows it. Especially black people, most of whom recognize the rank hypocrisy of tolerating the use of the word by some blacks themselves.

The use of the word in news reporting should be limited to any role it played in the story itself and only if it DID play a significant role -not tossed in for effect and definitely not when it was an insignificant aside to the main story. A white man storming into a room, singling out all black people and shooting them while yelling the "n" word at them tells the audience quite a bit about the man's possible motive. A story about two black men passing each other on the street, one drops a wallet with $1,000 and didn't notice but the other man does, picks it up and stops the owner by saying "Hey 'n", you lost your wallet!" then the word is completely irrelevant to the real story here and shouldn't be repeated. In both cases though, the word is always a racial slur no matter who says it. The fact a black person used that same word in reference to another black does not ever magically change it to a term of endearment any more than it did when one slave referred to another one by that word. It is a word that was specifically created to identify a person by both his skin color and status in life as less than equal to a white person and it meant that whether a white person called a black person by that name or another black person did. There is NO divorcing that from the word today by pretending the use of this racial slur is acceptable as long as it is said by someone who might end up being called that himself --which is just another way of saying "as long as a black person who isn't the full equal of a white person either is the one who said it". Because THAT is the real underlying message when people tolerate the use of this word from a black person. Exactly what my next door neighbor told her children! I have black neighbors on either side of me, one couple who didn't move in until their children were grown and the other couple who moved in with small children the same ages as my own. Our kids grew up as best friends and if all they weren't at my house they were at my neighbor's. Their oldest son who is the same age as my oldest son once said "******" in reference to another black person when he was about 10 years old and his mother responded by knocking him clean off his feet. And properly so. Maybe if more mothers did that when they heard their kid say the word the first time, fewer people would run into trouble as adults for using it and no one would feel the need to ask a question about whether it was ok to include as part of a story because it was an archaic word no one used at all.

Forum List

Back