Trends in Political Values and Core Attitudes

Discussion in 'Politics' started by midcan5, Feb 25, 2008.

1. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    This is a year old but it is good news. It doesn't get much play in conservative MSM but that is because corporate greed is too large a factor in news today. Add to corporate greed fear of job loss or promotion and you quickly see why the fourth estate is such a tepid wimp of an institution.

Trends in Political Values and Core Attitudes

"Increased public support for the social safety net, signs of growing public concern about income inequality, and a diminished appetite for assertive national security policies have improved the political landscape for the Democrats as the 2008 presidential campaign gets underway.

At the same time, many of the key trends that nurtured the Republican resurgence in the mid-1990s have moderated, according to Pew's longitudinal measures of the public's basic political, social and economic values. The proportion of Americans who support traditional social values has edged downward since 1994, while the proportion of Americans expressing strong personal religious commitment also has declined modestly."

http://people-press.org/reports/display.php3?ReportID=312

2. rayboyusmc

rayboyusmc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Well, let's wait for the troglodytes to come out of their caves and beat this one to death with their sound bite clubs.:eusa_doh:

3. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    Sure I'll take a crack at it.

The article ties in amazingly well to what I have been saying about the change in people's attitudes for some time. What does a concern for a social safety yet really reflect? I believe it reflects that people are afraid. It doesn't reflect people's concern for their fellow man. It reflects an individuals concern for themsleves. We simply don't value that work hard and achieve mentality as much (that would the social value going by the way side part of the article. Simply, people are more self-centered, we think we are entitled more and at the same time less should be expected of us.

4. midcan5

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    So if people are greedy and self centered they are so because they are greedy and self centered, and if they are not greedy and self centered, they are not because they are greedy and self centered. Makes perfect sense in some world, maybe we'll discover it one day.

5. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    Must be the same world where hard work equals greed, huh?

6. rayboyusmc

rayboyusmc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Perhaps a generalization more than a fact. There are people I know who care for others safety etc. just like they care for their own.

7. midcan5

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    That's not what you wrote, you wrote a cynical view of your fellow man. If you do that, expect the same in return.

The point is for years everyone in need was lazy or conning the system, the truth is that is often not the case. And people are starting to recognize that because they see it, it is probably true of most people that empathy only exists after they experience something that demonstrates the fickle nature of life chance and luck.

8. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    All I'm saying is you can see culture, especially popular culture, moveing that way. Yes there are people that care for others, most of us do, but I think we're seeing a shift where we devote more time to ourselves than to others. Again look at popular culture. Perhaps you'll be fortunate to catch an epidose of My Super Sweet 16 on MTV that makes just want to hurl that teenagers are that self centered and that there are parents that enable them. Is it any wonder that people are growing up to think they deserve to be taken care of instead of taking care of themselves. My point is, to me the article is trying to spin a bad thing into a good thing.

9. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    I think those people believe like you believe. That there is this un-named invisible force that no one can control that arbitrarily keeps people down. You're right about your empathy comeing from experience. I drew unemployment for about 6 months last year. However I am also fully aware there is very little about that situation that is out of my control.

10. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    I think that it concerns both – one’s concern for himself – that he does not become incapacitated by some freak accident, make a foolish catastrophic mistake, hit a string of bad luck and become dependent. It also reflects concern for his fellow man. As I see it, people want to be sure that there is a strong safety net for those who are mentally restarted and ill, and those who are severely physically handicapped. There are some people who will never be self-reliant, without some degree of government assistance. (We can debate how much we should spend on social services but I doubt that there are people who think that every cent from each and every social service should be removed. I think that we would be more problems if we were to end all government social service support. There is not enough charity in the private sector to support all of the truly needy.) Some people will always be dependent on handouts through practically no fault of their own. People want to be sure that government services remain, at lest to some extent, for such people. Consider yourself lucky and fortunate that you are not one of them.

By the way, I pay taxes and give some time and money to private charity.