Treat me like I'm black, sez Teddy's son

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Stephanie, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,359
    :wtf: Oh my... Fresh from rehab, now off to the funny farm with him :cuckoo:

BY MICHAEL McAULIFF and CORKY SIEMASZKO
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Fresh from rehab, Rep. Patrick Kennedy said yesterday he wants to be treated like an African-American from Washington if and when he gets charged for crashing his car on Capitol Hill.
    Denying that he was drunk and or that he asked the Capitol Police for preferential treatment, Kennedy, a Rhode Island congressman, said he's prepared "in terms of bookings, in terms of mug shots, fingerprints, whatever they might have me do."

"It's what anyone else would have done to them if they were an African-American in Anacostia," Kennedy said in a shaky voice, referring to the mostly minority neighborhood in southeastern Washington.

Later, Kennedy fretted that "there are probably people who want to throw the book at me a little more to prove that they're not treating me special."

It's still not clear whether Kennedy will be called to account for smashing his Ford Mustang into a barrier near the Capitol building at 2:45 a.m. on May 4. He was driving without headlights and nearly collided with a police cruiser.

"The attorney general is still reviewing the events of that night," said Traci Hughes, a spokeswoman for the D.C. attorney general's office. "I can assure you that if any charges are brought in this case, he will be treated the same as anyone else in similar circumstances."

The son of Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-Mass.) was given a ride home after the wreck by Capitol Police and charged with three minor traffic violations. But he wasn't given a sobriety test, angering some police who complained he was getting kid-glove treatment.

"If you are suspected of driving under the influence, you get arrested," noted Officer Quintin Peterson of the Metropolitan Police Department.

Kennedy, who has a history of substance abuse and depression, said that "10 of the 12 police officers said they did not smell any alcohol on my breath."

But Kennedy also said he should not have gotten behind the wheel after taking Ambien, a popular sleeping aid prescribed to 26 million Americans last year.

"It says on the directions: Do not operate heavy machinery under this drug," he said. "So whether it's alcohol or drugs, any impaired driving is wrong."

Shortly after the accident, Kennedy announced he was seeking treatment for painkiller addiction because he could not remember crashing his car and being driven home by police.

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/424089p-357769c.html

2. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Maybe what he means is, let me off the hook -- look at who raised me!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Like father like son .....:cheers2:

4. nt250

nt250 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I really miss Rhode Island.

5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Good thing the cops stopped him before he drove off the 14th Street Bridge into the Potomac.

Then again, maybe not.:laugh:

6. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Translation:

"Treat me like I'm black for a few minutes, then let me go back to the highly secure Kennedy Compound and get waited on hand and foot by the servants."

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    What is interesting to me is this: if a Republican/conservative DARED say "treat me like I'm black," their fate would be the same as Trent Lott's.

Where's the outrage lefties?

8. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Oh at least. They'd probably be prosecuted for a hate crime, too.

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Page 3 editorial this a.m. ;)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/chi-0606080118jun08,1,5892434.column?coll=chi-news-col

10. jasendorf

jasendorf Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    What a stupid thing for him to do... why would anyone want to be treated that poorly? Kennedy should do what Limbaugh did... take advantage of his privileged status and act as indignant as possible. Duh. Patrick... wise up son... you don't see Rush asking to be treated like Richard Paey!