Travelers........wondering what

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
Your experiences have been regarding homeland security, particularly in Airports etc. Do you think it was enough, or too laid back, intrusive???

Bonnie said:
Your experiences have been regarding homeland security, particularly in Airports etc. Do you think it was enough, or too laid back, intrusive???

Too laid back and not specific enough. I have no problems with them wanting to search me, but I am tired of seeing them stop an old white haired lady while letting a muslim with headscrarf walk by because he wasn't in the right numerical order when checking in.

I travel by air quite extensively. If one is careful, getting through security isn't too bad, even if selected for individual screening. HOWEVER, I tend to agree with the previous post that cites instances of closely screening some little old lady while other more likely candidates for committing a terrorist act are allowed to pass with far less scrutiny. Of course one must be politically correct in these things and not profile anyone!

CSM said:
I travel by air quite extensively. If one is careful, getting through security isn't too bad, even if selected for individual screening. HOWEVER, I tend to agree with the previous post that cites instances of closely screening some little old lady while other more likely candidates for committing a terrorist act are allowed to pass with far less scrutiny. Of course one must be politically correct in these things and not profile anyone!

Both my parents and myself have noticed a similar thing happening. At least when I went -everyone had their luggage searched and shoes had to come off as well.

I travel kind a lot and have averaged having my luggage search about 30 percent of the time. I have never been signled out for "extra scrutiny" as they so nicely put it. On the whole, I think they're doing better then before, but there is still plenty of room for improvement. One of the main things that leaps to mind is profiling, after all, who is out to get us.

Way too laid back. My three forays into the United States had US Customs being much easier than Canadian customs. I got searched twice at Canadian customs and never at US customs. At the Minneapolis and Wichita airport they didn't even ask for my ID to board a flight!

I think it's time we tell the left-wingnuts and the ACLU to blow the political correctness out their ass, and start profiling! It only makes sense to do so....none to not.
Should Grandma still be looked at? Sure, to some degree, but NEVER if you're letting Mohammed walk by
unchecked! And that's my 2 cents!

Bonnie said:

Last time I went to the airport, they didn't look twice at me. Which surprised me, because I look like a terrorist.

At the same time one of my friends got his pipe and a bag of weed on the plane, while another had several joints in his pocket.

Zhukov said:
Last time I went to the airport, they didn't look twice at me. Which surprised me, because I look like a terrorist.

At the same time one of my friends got his pipe and a bag of weed on the plane, while another had several joints in his pocket.

Surely you don't look like a terrorist?? LOL

When I last went to England I compared our airports to that of Heathrow, and there were a few notable differences, the main one was that they are very polite but very thorough, they very nicely and skillfully check everyone's bags without seeming to be intrusive, I suppose they have been at it longer and are skilled in customer realtions.

I think we are still working out many kinks but could probably take lessons from England and Israel??

Mr. P said:
I think it's time we tell the left-wingnuts and the ACLU to blow the political correctness out their ass, and start profiling! It only makes sense to do so....none to not.
Should Grandma still be looked at? Sure, to some degree, but NEVER if you're letting Mohammed walk by
unchecked! And that's my 2 cents!

I totally agree. This pc crap will be our undoing.

Zhukov said:

What does a terrorist look like? A muslum? Hmm.... Kinda narrow point of view, don't you think? I don't think that singling out a group of people is the way to go. We should not be profiling for a specific individual, because that is just what they are, an individual. By singling out a specific group of people, we are giving liscence to the rest of the world to do so as well.

John Walker Lindt. Theodore Kaczynski. The KKK. Hitler. Col. Theoneste Bagosora. Any other groups who want their voices to be heard. I know that alot of you are going to let me hear about this next comment, but what about the US Government? Bush takes a clear anti-gay stand. What do you think that that will do to the US people? Black americans are still fighting for equality. People will hate anybody as long as the proper authority figures tell them to. By profiling muslums at the airport, we are telling people that all muslums are terrorists. That is not true. But people will accept that without question. Why? Because we accept what we are fed by the media. The more muslum people we piss off by treating them as criminals, the more likely we are to create more terrorists.

We create terrorists. Terrorists would not exist if everything was fine. We are supposed to be a fair and just society. Innocent until proven guilty. But these days, if you are Islamic, you are guilty until proven innocent. The point of this post is that words and example harbour HUGE reprecussions. What we need to understand is that we are all a part of the same world. We are all people. One person no better of worse than the next. What makes us different are the choices that we make in life. But we make those choices based on what we are fed by society. Yes, your thoughts are free, but they are ushered by what you are taught and by what you see. Instead of pointing the finger at others, why don't we point the finger at ourselves? We are all part of the problem. It just seems to be easier to blame everyone else. We all contribute to the condition of this world. Why do we chose to be so blind?

Intrepid said:
What does a terrorist look like?
Statistically speaking, and with respect to a specific type of terrorist, that being an Islamofascist, male, between the ages of 15-40, of middle eastern descent.

A muslum? Hmm.... Kinda narrow point of view, don't you think?
Well considering moslems come in all shapes and sizes I'd say you're the one with the narrow point of view, thinking all moslems are alike.

I don't think that singling out a group of people is the way to go.
I do.

By profiling muslums at the airport, we are telling people that all muslums are terrorists. That is not true. But people will accept that without question. Why? Because we accept what we are fed by the media.
You might accept what the media feeds you, but at least you have recognized and publically acknowledge your deficit. Now, work to overcome it.

Terrorists would not exist if everything was fine.
Well if your definition of 'fine' is all other monotheists are subjugated and taxed, and all others are executed, you're probably right.

Unfortunately, what's fine for one person is not necessarily the same for all.

Intrepid said:
Zhukov said:

What does a terrorist look like? A muslum? Hmm.... Kinda narrow point of view, don't you think? I don't think that singling out a group of people is the way to go. We should not be profiling for a specific individual, because that is just what they are, an individual. By singling out a specific group of people, we are giving liscence to the rest of the world to do so as well.

John Walker Lindt. Theodore Kaczynski. The KKK. Hitler. Col. Theoneste Bagosora. Any other groups who want their voices to be heard. I know that alot of you are going to let me hear about this next comment, but what about the US Government? Bush takes a clear anti-gay stand. What do you think that that will do to the US people? Black americans are still fighting for equality. People will hate anybody as long as the proper authority figures tell them to. By profiling muslums at the airport, we are telling people that all muslums are terrorists. That is not true. But people will accept that without question. Why? Because we accept what we are fed by the media. The more muslum people we piss off by treating them as criminals, the more likely we are to create more terrorists.

We create terrorists. Terrorists would not exist if everything was fine. We are supposed to be a fair and just society. Innocent until proven guilty. But these days, if you are Islamic, you are guilty until proven innocent. The point of this post is that words and example harbour HUGE reprecussions. What we need to understand is that we are all a part of the same world. We are all people. One person no better of worse than the next. What makes us different are the choices that we make in life. But we make those choices based on what we are fed by society. Yes, your thoughts are free, but they are ushered by what you are taught and by what you see. Instead of pointing the finger at others, why don't we point the finger at ourselves? We are all part of the problem. It just seems to be easier to blame everyone else. We all contribute to the condition of this world. Why do we chose to be so blind?

We have heard the words of Islam and seen the fine example Muslims set ...that's why I advocate searching them. We are all part of the same world and you are exactly correct: what makes us different is the choices we make. I choose not to ignore the obvious. Planes flying into buildings did that for me. I also choose not to feel guilty for watching out for my own interests because I know damn well you wont.

CSM said:
We have heard the words of Islam and seen the fine example Muslims set ...that's why I advocate searching them. We are all part of the same world and you are exactly correct: what makes us different is the choices we make. I choose not to ignore the obvious. Planes flying into buildings did that for me. I also choose not to feel guilty for watching out for my own interests because I know damn well you wont.

Have we really learned nothing from our history? How is what you said different from the mindset that started the Nazi percecution of the Jews, of the genocide of the Tutsi's? Are we so doomed to repeat the past?

And how dare you assume that I would hold my interests in a vigher value than the another person's life. Not everyone is a egocentric as yourself, it seems.

Intrepid said:
Have we really learned nothing from our history? How is what you said different from the mindset that started the Nazi percecution of the Jews, of the genocide of the Tutsi's? Are we so doomed to repeat the past?

And how dare you assume that I would hold my interests in a vigher value than the another person's life. Not everyone is a egocentric as yourself, it seems.

Good thing huh? How noble you are!

I view it like this. If a crime is committed and a description is given to the police by the victim and eyewitnesses, I want them (the police) looking for a person that looks like the description not everyone else.

Please note that I did not advocate NOT searching anyone else or searching Muslims exclusively; I advocated searching them more closely...

I also did not say we should kill all Muslims or put them in concetration camps.

By the way, I dare a lot of things....

Intrepid said:
How is what you said different from the mindset that started the Nazi percecution of the Jews, of the genocide of the Tutsi's?
Are you too ignorant of history to be able to distinguish that difference yourself?

We want to search all people who resemble those who organized the murder of thousands of our citizens and loudly proclaim their willingness and desire to do it again.

The Nazi's fabricated a conspiracy theory and constructed an idelogy to justify the extermination of millions of people and the theft of their land and property.

Please, do indicate the similarities.
Intrepid said:
Are we so doomed to repeat the past?
That doom is reserved for those ignorant of history.

Intrepid said:
Have we really learned nothing from our history?

I suspect you haven't.

Yet more projection.

Intrepid said:

We create terrorists. Terrorists would not exist if everything was fine.

In regard to you first question - I suggest you look at the pictures of the 9-11 hijackers. Then look at the video of any beheading you can stomach. Then look at pictures of members of the Taliban. Then look at pictures of suicide bombers. That should give you a pretty good idea of what terrorists look like - just in case you need a little refresher course.

Your view that we should not profile a certain group is not based on reality. Apparently you are a resident of some fantasy world where no group of people is inherently evil. Well don't look now - but the muslim religious preaches hatred. They teach that murdering "infidels" is not only acceptable, but necessary. I hope that some day you have the opportunity to meet a muslim terrorist face to face. Then you can try your lib philosophy on him first hand and see if you manage to avoid getting your throat cut. But by all means, let's not single them out for special attention - that might hurt their feelings.

And finally - "we create terrorists". Un-f'ing-believable. It really is a shame that there is no draft. I would love to see folks like you in a uniform. You need to get a dose of reality therapy because your view of the world simply does not reflect the facts.

Merlin1047 said:
In regard to you first question - I suggest you look at the pictures of the 9-11 hijackers. Then look at the video of any beheading you can stomach. Then look at pictures of members of the Taliban. Then look at pictures of suicide bombers. That should give you a pretty good idea of what terrorists look like - just in case you need a little refresher course.

Your view that we should not profile a certain group is not based on reality. Apparently you are a resident of some fantasy world where no group of people is inherently evil. Well don't look now - but the muslim religious preaches hatred. They teach that murdering "infidels" is not only acceptable, but necessary. I hope that some day you have the opportunity to meet a muslim terrorist face to face. Then you can try your lib philosophy on him first hand and see if you manage to avoid getting your throat cut. But by all means, let's not single them out for special attention - that might hurt their feelings.

And finally - "we create terrorists". Un-f'ing-believable. It really is a shame that there is no draft. I would love to see folks like you in a uniform. You need to get a dose of reality therapy because your view of the world simply does not reflect the facts.

I would NOT like to see folks like him in uniform, thank you very much. I have had to deal with folks like him in uniform; aside from being a big pain in the ass and nearly untrainable, they dont last very long. They are also a hazard to other soldiers which makes them a detriment. I would much rather see people like him stay home. Most like him would rather sit and whine than actually do anyway.

I am not against profiling, but we if we are to do it then we should target the right people. In my lifetime I have witnessed three major terrorist attacks in this country. World Trade Center 1, Oklahoma, and World Trade Center 2. So if we are going to examine Arabs more closely than the rest of the bunch then we should also examine white males, aged 18-55, from middle America with strong Christian beliefs. This group is after all responsible for the second most deadly terror attack on American Soil. The problem with profiling is that everyone, with the exceptions of little old women, fit the profile. Maybe not the profile of the terrorists that attacked us, but certainly of some terrorist group somewhere I.e. Chechnya, Spain, Cashmere, Japan, and Indonesia. If we are going to profile for potential terrorists then we should do so on a global level because our war against is (and rightly so) a global one. We see beheadings by Islamic extremists on TV because that is where Americans are. I will point out though that the actions of terrorists everywhere are pretty brutal. Chechen rebels blew up a school, Japanese terrorists tried to poison a subway, and Christian fundamentalists blew up a building filled with children’s programs. We should be profiling and to that end airport security should be improved because unless you are little old women, you probably fit the bill, I sure as shit do.
Huck

Forum List

Back