Travel Ban Cluster: Historian Detained/nearly Deported

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Pogo, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Pogo

Pogo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Carolinia Agresticia; the Forest Primeval
    Ratings:
    +36,507
    Nope. It was done for a geopolitical agenda. What their individual religious practices were, you have no clue.

2. Pogo

Pogo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,507
    I've made no mention of "20% of the time" or any such proportion. This was a simple story of a single case, being an exhibit of not just what this idea of profiling leads to but where simple refusal to think leads.

There's no way it should take ten hours to figure out that the traveller is (a) a French citizen; (b) an academic, and (c) has a completely and verifiably legitimate reason to be entering the country. That takes a few minutes, if it's ever a question at all.

I'm actually more concerned that people this degree of stupid are in those positions, than that there's a particular Executive Order. Because they clearly can't handle it. That's why I used the term "cluster" in the title.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  3. Pogo

Pogo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,507
    I've been on that same flight. It's loooooooooooong. Had no TSA issues, although my physical characteristics wouldn't meet anybody's profile. I could prolly get away with speaking Arabic.

4. iceberg

iceberg Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,630
    you're right. but i had to pull a # somewhere to go by.

no one ever said this wouldn't be easy or without mistakes. all systems have mistakes. what i *am* saying if you're choosing to pull this incident out and make it a poster child for why we SHOULD NOT do this because a few people will be taken to task for xyz reason.

who said this would never lead to innocent people being detained or how long that would take? no one i've ever seen. it's accepted as a hopefully rare but necessary occurrence by those who support the policy. those who don't like the policy or the people putting it in place will pull these out and use them as examples of THEIR stance while ignoring all the good the moves can or may be doing.

you find what you're looking for. if you're looking to hate this move, you'll find the reasons why. if you're looking to love it, you'll find again, reasons why.

maybe step back and take emo out of it and think what can we do, what else should be done and how can we minimize this further and still obtain overall objectives? (not personal ones).

but we're a long long way as a country from ever doing that again.

5. RoshawnMarkwees

RoshawnMarkwees Assimilationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,758
    As a response to incessant Muslim terrorism. You live in make-believe.

6. Pogo

Pogo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,507
    Nope. It was done for a geopolitical agenda. What their individual religious practices were, you have no clue.

Guess I'll just copy and paste that indefinitely until it starts to sink in.

7. RoshawnMarkwees

RoshawnMarkwees Assimilationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,758
    You intentionally cut the sequence short by one step because of bias. The entire thing was generated by Muslim terrorism.

8. Pogo

Pogo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,507
    "Sequence"? "Step"?
    Might want to go easy on the aerosol propellants. Again, It was done for a geopolitical agenda. What their individual religious practices were, you have no clue.