Travel Ban Cluster: Historian Detained/nearly Deported

Says he came into the US on a tourist visa to work. No-no.

No, it says nothing like that. It says French citizens can simply apply for an ESTA. Only if that application is denied do you need the option to apply for a tourist visa. There's no indication the ESTA was denied.

It's no secret that the historian was scheduled to deliver an academic lecture. It's part of the selling point for their registration process. They make that information very public.
Gotta do your homework before posting.

Mr. Rousso said he was interrogated by Customs and Border Protection officers who told him that he was violating immigration law by using a tourist visa to enter the country to attend the academic conference. He said that at first they denied him entry to the United States, and told him he would be put on the next available flight to Paris.

The issue, Mr. Rousso said, appeared to be an honorarium of $2,000 that he was being paid to participate in the conference. Such payments are allowed for academics visiting the United States, but Mr. Rousso and those involved in securing his release said the customs agents appeared not to realize that at first.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/26/us/french-historian-detained-immigration-henry-rousso.html

Fuck you. I ain't required to go find other links for minutiae that you might bring up thinking you have a point. I came with a link, I posted it, and no it does NOT say anything like what you indicated. PERIOD.

Furthermore your own post proves you wrong anyway. An honorarium is not "wages". Nor is there any proscription on attending a conference --- which is also not "work" ---- on a tourist visa.

Your own post.
Yes, this website does allow you to post fake news. I simply turned the floodlights on and shed truth to the subject.

No, it says nothing like that. It says French citizens can simply apply for an ESTA. Only if that application is denied do you need the option to apply for a tourist visa. There's no indication the ESTA was denied.

It's no secret that the historian was scheduled to deliver an academic lecture. It's part of the selling point for their registration process. They make that information very public.

Mr. Rousso said he was interrogated by Customs and Border Protection officers who told him that he was violating immigration law by using a tourist visa to enter the country to attend the academic conference. He said that at first they denied him entry to the United States, and told him he would be put on the next available flight to Paris.

The issue, Mr. Rousso said, appeared to be an honorarium of $2,000 that he was being paid to participate in the conference. Such payments are allowed for academics visiting the United States, but Mr. Rousso and those involved in securing his release said the customs agents appeared not to realize that at first.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/26/us/french-historian-detained-immigration-henry-rousso.html

Fuck you. I ain't required to go find other links for minutiae that you might bring up thinking you have a point. I came with a link, I posted it, and no it does NOT say anything like what you indicated. PERIOD.

Furthermore your own post proves you wrong anyway. An honorarium is not "wages". Nor is there any proscription on attending a conference --- which is also not "work" ---- on a tourist visa.

Your own post.
Yes, this website does allow you to post fake news. I simply turned the floodlights on and shed truth to the subject.

BULLSHIT. You claimed my link said something it does not say..

Wanna see it again? ROLL TAPE.

Says no such thing. You're a damn liar. :fu:

Your own post.

BULLSHIT. You claimed my link said something it does not say.. You're a liar. :fu:
Omitting facts to paint a false narrative is as much a lie as altering the facts to paint a false narrative.

Related -- and the hits just keep on comin'....

>> The room was like a waiting room in a hospital but a bit more grim than that. There was a notice on the wall that was far too small, saying no cellphones allowed, and anybody who did use a cellphone had someone stand in front of them and yell: “Don’t use that phone!” Everything was yelled, and everything was public, and this was the most awful thing, I heard things happening in that room happening to other people that made me ashamed to be human.

There was an Iranian woman in a wheelchair, she was about 80, wearing a little mauve cardigan, and they were yelling at her – “Arabic? Arabic?”. They screamed at her “ARABIC?” at the top of their voices, and finally she intuited what they wanted and I heard her say “Farsi”. And I thought heaven help her, she’s Iranian, what’s going to happen?

There was a woman from Taiwan, being yelled at about at about how she made her money, but she didn’t understand the question. The officer was yelling at her: “Where does your money come from, does it grow on trees? Does it fall from the sky?”

.... In that moment I loathed America. I loathed the entire country. And it was my 117th visit to the country so I know that most people are very generous and warm-hearted. They have been wonderful to me over the years. I got over that hatred within a day or two. But this is not the way to win friends, to do this to someone who is Australian when we have supported them in every damn war. It’s absolutely outrageous.

Later in the hotel room I was shaking like a leaf. I rang my friend, my American editor and bawled and bawled, and she told me to write it all down, and I wrote for two hours. I fell asleep thinking I would sleep for eight hours but I woke up an hour and a half later just sobbing. I had been sobbing in my sleep. It was very traumatic.

After I got back to Australia I had an apology from the American embassy. I was very impressed, they were very comforting, and I’ve had so many messages of support from Americans and American authors.

I am a human being, so I do understand that these people might not be well-trained, but they now have carte blanche to be as horrible and belligerent as they want. They’ve gone mad – they’ve got all the power that they want but they don’t have the training. -- Children's Book Author Mem Fox on Detention

>> PARIS — Henry Rousso is one of France’s most preeminent scholars and public intellectuals. Last week, as the historian attempted to enter the United States to attend an academic symposium, he was detained for more than 10 hours — for no clear reason.

On Wednesday, Rousso arrived at Houston’s George Bush Intercontinental Airport after an 11-hour flight from Paris, en route to Texas A&M University in College Station. There, he was to speak Friday afternoon at the Hagler Institute for Advanced Study.

But things did not go according to plan: Rousso — an Egyptian-born French citizen — was “mistakenly detained” by U.S. immigration authorities, according to Richard Golsan, director of the Glasscock Center for Humanities Research at Texas A&M.

“When he called me with this news two nights ago, he was waiting for customs officials to send him back to Paris as an illegal alien on the first flight out,” Golsan said Friday at the symposium, according to the Eagle, a newspaper that covers the College Station area.

The university then sprang into action, the Eagle reported, with President Michael Young reaching out to law professor Fatma Marouf, who earlier this month had assisted in writing an amicus brief against President Trump’s executive order banning refugees from around the world and travelers from seven Muslim-majority nations.

... After weeks of headlines related to Trump's travel ban, incident drew immediate attention around the world -- especially in a France on the eve of presidential elections this coming April and May.

Emmanuel Macron, the popular centrist candidate for the French presidency, used the Rousso affair to repeat his pitch to U.S. scientists and researchers who he has said would be better off in France rather than in the America of Donald Trump.

"There is no excuse for what happened to Henry Rousso," Macron wrote Sunday on Twitter. "Our country is open to scientists and intellectuals." <<​

Irony twist next:

>> Egypt — from which Rousso and his family, as Jews, were exiled in 1956, after a slew of anti-Semitic measures imposed by the administration of President Gamal Abdel Nasser, according to the Israeli newspaper Haaretz — was not among the seven nations in the travel ban, which had been suspended by the time he arrived in the United States.

Furthermore, France is a beneficiary of the U.S. visa waiver program, which permits French citizens to enter the United States without a visa. All that is required is an online ESTA application before departure. <<​

Further irony twist:

>> Rousso’s scholarship focuses on the memory of the Vichy regime, the darkest chapter in modern French history, when the government of unoccupied France collaborated with Nazi Germany in World War II. Vichy authorities are particularly infamous for assisting the Germans in rounding up and deporting tens of thousands of Jews from France during the Holocaust, which Rousso once called “the past that does not pass.” << -- US Detaiins and Nearly Deports French Holocaust Historian

You read that right --- there is actually a George Bush International Airport. Been there myself. :puke:
Nice story about a guy who DIDNT get deported. :laugh:

12,000 airports 3M visitors a day , 8 year old kids being groped at the airport, and liberals shit their pants over a few fucking Muslims being mistakenly detained each day. Good grief.

He's Jewish. And a French citizen. And was held for ten hours (after an 11-hour flight) for no reason.

Way to read the post, Dumbass.

So now you're shitting your pants when it happens to Jews too?

I should add --- "no reason" other than the masturbatory aimless wankitudinal executive order of an orange freak demagogue who "loves the poorly educated" (that would be you) because you're not capable of anything deeper than superficial emotional buzzword salivation. He loves you because you're such a tool. He likes tools.

Good boy Pavlov. Pat pat. Here is biscuit.

k0240206.jpg

Had nothing to do with Trump......neither Egypt nor France is on the list for the 90 day, temporary hold on immigration...and it was also suspended because of left wing social justice warriors pretending to be judges........so this is likely because his name pinged on the terror watch list......moron.

>> The room was like a waiting room in a hospital but a bit more grim than that. There was a notice on the wall that was far too small, saying no cellphones allowed, and anybody who did use a cellphone had someone stand in front of them and yell: “Don’t use that phone!” Everything was yelled, and everything was public, and this was the most awful thing, I heard things happening in that room happening to other people that made me ashamed to be human.

There was an Iranian woman in a wheelchair, she was about 80, wearing a little mauve cardigan, and they were yelling at her – “Arabic? Arabic?”. They screamed at her “ARABIC?” at the top of their voices, and finally she intuited what they wanted and I heard her say “Farsi”. And I thought heaven help her, she’s Iranian, what’s going to happen?

There was a woman from Taiwan, being yelled at about at about how she made her money, but she didn’t understand the question. The officer was yelling at her: “Where does your money come from, does it grow on trees? Does it fall from the sky?”

.... In that moment I loathed America. I loathed the entire country. And it was my 117th visit to the country so I know that most people are very generous and warm-hearted. They have been wonderful to me over the years. I got over that hatred within a day or two. But this is not the way to win friends, to do this to someone who is Australian when we have supported them in every damn war. It’s absolutely outrageous.

Later in the hotel room I was shaking like a leaf. I rang my friend, my American editor and bawled and bawled, and she told me to write it all down, and I wrote for two hours. I fell asleep thinking I would sleep for eight hours but I woke up an hour and a half later just sobbing. I had been sobbing in my sleep. It was very traumatic.

After I got back to Australia I had an apology from the American embassy. I was very impressed, they were very comforting, and I’ve had so many messages of support from Americans and American authors.

I am a human being, so I do understand that these people might not be well-trained, but they now have carte blanche to be as horrible and belligerent as they want. They’ve gone mad – they’ve got all the power that they want but they don’t have the training. -- Children's Book Author Mem Fox on Detention

Yeah....a bureaucrat did it.....a mindless bureaucrat....and morons like you want these same nameless bureaucrats to have more power over your lives......now that is stupid...

Yeah....a bureaucrat did it.....a mindless bureaucrat....and morons like you want these same nameless bureaucrats to have more power over your lives......now that is stupid...

Zat right. Link?

What?? No link?

Now that is stupid.

Granny says, "Dat's right - the Donald tryin' to keep us safe...
thumbsup.gif

The Latest: Judge: Trump has power to ban foreign travelers
Mar 15,`17The Latest on legal challenges to the Trump administration's revised travel ban (all times Pacific unless noted):
6:30 p.m.

A federal appeals court judge says President Donald Trump has the authority to block foreign travelers and courts must defer to the president's judgment in decisions about who should be allowed in the United States. Judge Jay Bybee of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said in court documents filed Wednesday that his appeals court colleagues were wrong when they refused to immediately reinstate Trump's original travel ban. The Trump administration later revised the ban. A federal judge in Hawaii blocked that version on Wednesday. Bybee is a nominee of President George W. Bush. Bybee says judges cannot investigate the president's motive for the ban as along as he provides a bona fide and legitimate reason for it. Bybee says the president had done that.

5:45 p.m.

President Donald Trump is blasting a court for halting what he's calling a "watered-down version" of his travel ban. Trump told supporters Wednesday at a campaign-style rally in Nashville, Tennessee, that he learned that a district judge in Hawaii had halted his order, which temporarily suspends the U.S. refugee program and bars the entry of people from certain Muslim-majority countries. Trump says the ruling is unprecedented judicial overreach" and "makes us look weak." He says he's going to fight the decision and take it all the way to the Supreme Court, if necessary. And he says, "We're going to win."

4:40 p.m.

The federal judge in Hawaii who put President Donald Trump's revised travel ban on hold cited "questionable evidence supporting the government's national security motivation." U.S. District Judge Derrick Watson also said Hawaii would suffer financially if the executive order goes into effect and blocks the flow of students and tourists to the state. Watson issued his 43-page ruling less than two hours after hearing arguments on Hawaii's request to block the ban that was to have gone into effect Thursday. The judge says Hawaii is likely to succeed on a claim that the ban violates the First Amendment right protecting people against religious discrimination.

4:10 p.m.

The judge in Hawaii who put President Donald Trump's revised travel ban on hold was nominated to the federal bench by President Barack Obama. U.S. District Judge Derrick Kahala Watson got his nod in 2012 and is currently the only Native Hawaiian judge serving on the federal bench and the fourth in U.S. history. He received his law degree from Harvard Law School in 1991. His 43-page decision Wednesday was released less than two hours after the hearing ended.

4 p.m.

Pogo keeps repeating "historian" like the media referred to Rodney King as "motorist."

Oh, the horror and shame of it all! An idiot with a libtard education got detained!

This story did it for me, now we must all rise up against the evil Trump administration!

>> PARIS — Henry Rousso is one of France’s most preeminent scholars and public intellectuals. Last week, as the historian attempted to enter the United States to attend an academic symposium, he was detained for more than 10 hours — for no clear reason.

On Wednesday, Rousso arrived at Houston’s George Bush Intercontinental Airport after an 11-hour flight from Paris, en route to Texas A&M University in College Station. There, he was to speak Friday afternoon at the Hagler Institute for Advanced Study.

But things did not go according to plan: Rousso — an Egyptian-born French citizen — was “mistakenly detained” by U.S. immigration authorities, according to Richard Golsan, director of the Glasscock Center for Humanities Research at Texas A&M.

“When he called me with this news two nights ago, he was waiting for customs officials to send him back to Paris as an illegal alien on the first flight out,” Golsan said Friday at the symposium, according to the Eagle, a newspaper that covers the College Station area.

The university then sprang into action, the Eagle reported, with President Michael Young reaching out to law professor Fatma Marouf, who earlier this month had assisted in writing an amicus brief against President Trump’s executive order banning refugees from around the world and travelers from seven Muslim-majority nations.

... After weeks of headlines related to Trump's travel ban, incident drew immediate attention around the world -- especially in a France on the eve of presidential elections this coming April and May.

Emmanuel Macron, the popular centrist candidate for the French presidency, used the Rousso affair to repeat his pitch to U.S. scientists and researchers who he has said would be better off in France rather than in the America of Donald Trump.

"There is no excuse for what happened to Henry Rousso," Macron wrote Sunday on Twitter. "Our country is open to scientists and intellectuals." <<​

Irony twist next:

>> Egypt — from which Rousso and his family, as Jews, were exiled in 1956, after a slew of anti-Semitic measures imposed by the administration of President Gamal Abdel Nasser, according to the Israeli newspaper Haaretz — was not among the seven nations in the travel ban, which had been suspended by the time he arrived in the United States.

Furthermore, France is a beneficiary of the U.S. visa waiver program, which permits French citizens to enter the United States without a visa. All that is required is an online ESTA application before departure. <<​

Further irony twist:

>> Rousso’s scholarship focuses on the memory of the Vichy regime, the darkest chapter in modern French history, when the government of unoccupied France collaborated with Nazi Germany in World War II. Vichy authorities are particularly infamous for assisting the Germans in rounding up and deporting tens of thousands of Jews from France during the Holocaust, which Rousso once called “the past that does not pass.” << -- US Detaiins and Nearly Deports French Holocaust Historian

You read that right --- there is actually a George Bush International Airport. Been there myself. :puke:
France, enough said.

Irony twist next:

Further irony twist:

France, enough said.

Hi,

Love the post and thanks for sharing this. I hope that this issue in the States today will not affect the visa approval of other people who want to travel the States. I have a friend with who traveled to New York and gladly passed during the visa interview. He actually tried the official website but then he told me that there's third party websites that do similar services, like https://estavisa.com.au. But then again, I hope the United States will not be too strict in approving visa application, now that Trump is the president. Just my two scents.

Irony twist next:

Further irony twist:

Who gives a fucking shit you stupid ass motherfucker... lol

French Historian Says He Was Threatened With Deportation at Houston Airport

Your own post.
You did nothing of the sort. You merely posted your hateful bigotry once again for all to see. You are your kind hate anything that is academic or scientific. And you porcine pig of a President will do all he can to keep you kind supporting him, no matter how it damages this nation.

Irony twist next:

Further irony twist:

Not a filthy mindless pissant like you, for sure. But after we are rid of the treasonous fat senile old orange clown, we still have to live with the rest of the world. And cocksucks like you are such an embarrassment to the rest of we Americans.

Irony twist next:

Further irony twist:

Not a filthy mindless pissant like you, for sure. But after we are rid of the treasonous fat senile old orange clown, we still have to live with the rest of the world. And cocksucks like you are such an embarrassment to the rest of we Americans.
You sound like a suck ass kiss ass type of person

Irony twist next:

Further irony twist:

:boohoo:

Forum List

Back