Trash Talking

Nienna

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2005
Ohio
My husband called up my best friend's husband. "Hey, tool," he greeted him. "Not much going on in your life, I suppose."

:confused:

How can something like this foster a friendship? My husband & my BF's husband have been friends nearly all their lives. I asked my friend, "What if I called you up and said, "Hey, ho. How's things in your sorry life?" Women just don't do this. At least, none of the women I know.

So, guys... can someone explain to me the male practice of "trash talking"? Why do you do it? I know it's supposed to be funny, but doesn't it really hurt your feelings, underneath?

mom4 said:
My husband called up my best friend's husband. "Hey, tool," he greeted him. "Not much going on in your life, I suppose."

How can something like this foster a friendship? My husband & my BF's husband have been friends nearly all their lives. I asked my friend, "What if I called you up and said, "Hey, ho. How's things in your sorry life?" Women just don't do this. At least, none of the women I know.

So, guys... can someone explain to me the male practice of "trash talking"? Why do you do it? I know it's supposed to be funny, but doesn't it really hurt your feelings, underneath?

nope---not a bit---it's funny and shows that you can say anything to each other and still be buddies.

Mom…It’s not uncommon for me or my best friend to end a call with, “I don’t want to talk to you anymore”. For someone overhearing that it must seem damn rude. For us it means…
1. We have been talking soooo long we’ve covered everything, and it’s time to go
2. I have stuff to do now
3. In some cases, you’re pissing me off

It’s understood between us, and no harm is done.

mom4 said:

It's a guy thing. Take a look at that other thread about how we're 'wired' differently.

Woman pay each other meaningless compliments as forms of communication and bonding. They don't mean these compliments. they just want to make the other woman feel better.

Conversely, guys rip on each other as a means of bonding. they don't mean these insults. They just want to make everyone laugh and feel comfortable. Occasional an insult might go to far but rarely does the insulted party let everyone know it.

insein said:
Woman pay each other meaningless compliments as forms of communication and bonding. They don't mean these compliments. they just want to make the other woman feel better.
This is like saying all men are *ssh*les. I'd start looking at the friends I hang out with.

mom4 said:

My brother and I refer to each other as "prick." I call my best friend "shithead" and he refers to me as "fokker." It doesn't hurt feelings when it comes from someone you are friends with. It builds a bond in a way that women would never understand. Sometimes I come home to see my wife and her best friend sitting on the couch, crying their eyes out. Five minutes later, they are okay. I'll never understand this and would never want to. Your husbands friend is a tool. My brother is a prick. This is the male psyche, it's just how things are. :beer:

onthefence said:
..... Your husbands friend is a tool. My brother is a prick. This is the male psyche, it's just how things are. :beer:
And my father affectionaltely used the word p**sy. Like most women, my mother hated that.

Honestly, I sometimes envy guys for the way they can be so honest and fun with each other. We women often tiptoe around each other's feelings for fear of offending, and bcome kind of uptight in the process.

Now don't none a you Hos giving me any crap about this post.

Abbey Normal said:
Honestly, I sometimes envy guys for the way they can be so honest and fun with each other. We women often tiptoe around each other's feelings for fear of offending, and bcome kind of uptight in the process.

And you're all weak, non-confrontational wusses for it. See how easy it is?

My best friend and I still, to this day call each other "wentch" (SP?"?). I forget why exactly, as I'm sure she does too. :D

And I call my ex-husband mit, Tim spelled backwards.

Said1 said:
My best friend and I still, to this day call each other "wentch" (SP?"?). I forget why exactly, as I'm sure she does too. :D

And I call my ex-husband mit, Tim spelled backwards.
It's funny what one person deems disrespectful another means it affectionately.
When I bartended I had a patron call me wench. Some tho't it terrible but I knew how he meant it. I knew a man that affectionately called his son (when he was little) Peter Dick. And sometimes, even as a child, I called my mom by her first name as did my children. And MANY tho't that disrespectful.

Hobbit said:
Watch who you're calling a pussy, you little rectal wart!
Rectal wart? That's all you can come up with? And what are you gonna do if I call you a pussy? BEAT ME WITH YOUR BROKEN LEG?!??! :poke: :funnyface :beer: Isn't it time for a re-enactment soon? :laugh:

The ClayTaurus said:
Rectal wart? That's all you can come up with? And what are you gonna do if I call you a pussy? BEAT ME WITH YOUR BROKEN LEG?!??! :poke: :funnyface :beer: Isn't it time for a re-enactment soon? :laugh:

Hey, at least mine was a bit more original, and I'd like to see you run 20 miles with a broken leg. If you wanna try, I'd be happy to hook you up with a broken leg. Right now, we have a 2 for the price of 1 special.

Damn hippie.

As for what I'm going to do if you call me a pussy? Well, have you ever wanted a pussy of your very own? It can happen. Just call me a pussy one more time. I dare ya.

Abbey Normal said:

Abbey, You and me are gonna have to take this outside... did we ever settle that MaryAnn & Ginger thing awhile back? :D

Forum List

Back