Transparency...is this transparent?

Jarhead

Gold Member
Jan 11, 2010
I have found that Obama uses his gift of gab to say one thing, and if there is a backlash of what he says, he is able to show how he meant it another way.

I found during the campaign and since then, when he does not want to answer a question, he says (or his spokesman says) something along the lines of:

"People can continually ask me that all day and my answer will not change"....

when, in fact, he never answered it.

I recall late in the campaign when Megan Kelly of Fox asked Bill Burton a question.

The dialogue (paraphrased):

Burton: We can keep on answering that question, but the answer will not change.
Kelly: But you have not answered the question
Burton: Yes I did, you just did not like the answer
Kelly: But thats just it, you did not answer it. You answered it by saying that people keep on asking the question.
Burton: And that is becuase they did not like the answer
Kelly: No. They keep on asking it becuase you wont answer it.
Burton: We wont answer it becuase that is not what the people are interested in hearing. They want to hear about the economy and the two wars we are fighting.
Kelly: Our listeners want to hear an answer. I have emails asking for an answer.
Burton: As I said, I can answer that question all day long and my answer wont change.

In the end, he never answered the question.

Then, today Gretchen Carlson interviewed Gibbs and asked:

"Will Pres. Obama give some credit to GWB for the surge in this evening speech?

Gibbs: I already answered that question
Carlson: I have not even askled that question yet, Will he?
Gibbs: You have asked me 4 times already and my answer hasnt changed.
Carlson: I did not ask that question once until now. But will he?
Gibbs: You did ansk me four times and now 5 times
Carlosn: OK. And your answer was?
Gibbs: The same asnwer as the other 4 times.
Carlson: And that was?
Gibbs: ...started talking about how the men and women in uniform deserve to be recognized for their bravery.

That is transparency?

One of my criticisms of Obama is that he is too soft, and doesn't hold to his convictions. I think he needs to stand his ground more and fight for what he believes in no matter what the "other side" says. Because when, like you point out, he wavers on his original statement it makes him look weak and unsure. Not qualities you want in the president.

Forum List

Back