Transgendered bathrooms in schools

Jun 1, 2016
Hey Obama! Why don't you care about the children of America?

This recent transgender fiasco makes me pose the question, "does Obama really care about Americas children"? You're new initiative will allow grown men into the same restrooms as preadolescent children thus putting them in a vulnerable situation where they can be exposed to inappropriate things. If this same exposure was to happen at any other venue we would call it "child sex abuse" and label the adult as a "sex offender", but since the adult is now in a freedom of choice restroom that makes it ok to expose children to inappropriate things? Why Mr President would you put our children in these types of situations?
Not only did you make it ok for this to happen, but you're making it ok to happen in a school of all places. This is a place where children are suppose to be safe. A place where parents can entrust the people to take care of and return their children safely.
You're new initiative not only threatens children's innocents, but to top it off you are threatening to withhold federal funding if schools don't allow it to happen? This is insane. I cannot wait until the day we get someone in office to "fix" all of these ignorant policies you are trying to push on this great country.
That is why I think Obama does not care about the children of America.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
If you'd like to read some more of my thoughts or just see some funny political memes then check me out at:
Facebook.com/theboredtheater
Twitter theboredtheater
Instagram theboredtheater

Is the world not full of far more important topics than who pees where? It's almost like this transgender bathroom fiasco has been invemted to keep people looking at the little stuff whilst the real news goes unnoticed.

Appeals court rules in favor of transgender teen...
confused.gif

U.S. court says Virginia transgender student can use boys' bathroom
Thu Jun 23, 2016 - A federal court ordered a Virginia school district on Thursday to let a transgender student use the same bathrooms as other boys in a case that may be headed to the U.S. Supreme Court.
The case of Gavin Grimm, a high school student in Virginia's Gloucester County, has been closely watched in the national bathroom wars between transgender rights activists and social conservatives. A U.S. district court in Norfolk, Virginia, ordered the Gloucester County School Board to allow Grimm to use the boys' restrooms in his high school.

r

Student Gavin Grimm, who was barred from using the boys' bathroom at his local high school in Gloucester County, Virginia, U.S. is seen in an undated photo. Grimm was born a female but identifies as a male.​

The court had initially dismissed Grimm's claim of sexual discrimination and request for a court order. But a three-judge panel of the U.S. Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals found in Grimm's favor in April and reinstated his suit in the lower court. "I am elated to hear that I'll be able to attend my senior year of high school with my full rights restored,” Grimm said in a statement.

The ruling was the first by an appeals court finding protections for transgender students under the 1972 Title IX Act, which bars sex-based discrimination by schools receiving federal funding. Grimm filed suit after being barred from using the boys’ bathrooms. He was born a female but identifies as a male. The school board said this month that it would ask the Supreme Court to review the appeals court ruling.

U.S. court says Virginia transgender student can use boys' bathroom

Judge blocks N.C.'s transgender bathroom law...
icon17.gif

Relief granted to transgender students fighting North Carolina's bathroom law
August 26, 2016 - A U.S. judge on Friday blocked the University of North Carolina from enforcing a state law requiring transgender people to use single-sex restrooms and locker rooms that correspond to the gender on their birth certificate.
U.S. District Court Judge Thomas Schroeder's order granting a preliminary injunction applies only to the three transgender plaintiffs named in a lawsuit challenging the measure, known as House Bill 2 or HB 2. North Carolina in March became the first U.S. state to bar people from using restrooms in government buildings and public schools consistent with their gender identity. “In short, UNC may not apply HB2’s one-size-fits-all approach to what must be a case-by-case inquiry,” wrote Schroeder, noting that his order effectively returned all involved to the status quo before the new law passed “wherein public agencies accommodated the individual transgender Plaintiffs on a case-by-case basis, rather than applying a blanket rule to all people in all facilities under all circumstances.”

2016-08-26T214059Z_1_LYNXNPEC7P1GC_RTROPTP_2_USA-LGBT.JPG.cf.jpg

A gender-neutral bathroom is seen at the University of California, Irvine in Irvine, California​

The judge, an appointee of Republican former President George W. Bush, heard oral arguments in the case on Aug. 1 in Winston-Salem. Lawyers for Republican Governor Pat McCrory and other Republican lawmakers who support the measure said it offered common-sense protection of state residents' privacy and safety, even though it included no specific language for enforcement.

The U.S. Justice Department and the American Civil Liberties Union, which sued the state on behalf of three transgender people, called the law stigmatizing and unconstitutional. Bathroom access has become a flashpoint in the legal and cultural battle over transgender rights in the United States. An estimated 0.6 percent of U.S. adults identify as transgender, according to the Williams Institute at the UCLA School of Law. Debates about which public restroom facilities they and transgender children should use have divided courts, state legislatures and schools.

Relief granted to transgender students fighting North Carolina's bathroom law

Granny says, "Dat's right - he oughta be able to choose his bathroom - after his operation...

U.S. Supreme Court to hear transgender bathroom case next year
Sunday 30th October, 2016 | WASHINGTON, U.S. - For the first time, the United States Supreme Court has decided to listen to the other party and will rule in the case of a Virginia school board which prevented a transgender teenager from using boys’ bathroom at his school. The Supreme Court will hear the appeal from the Gloucester County school board in April and will rule in June next year.
Gavin Grimm, a 17-year-old high school senior in Gloucester County was identified as a boy and eventually sought to use the boys' bathroom in school. However, the school prevented it following complaints from other students’ parents. Grimm, who is represented by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) appealed to a lower court. Later, the ruling was challenged at the Supreme Court. But in the meantime, Grimm was forced to use a separate toilet as the case stretched further. Steven Shapiro, ACLU’s Legal Director said, “We want to get it resolved for his benefit as fast as we can.” Although the court remains focused on discrimination in education, Shannon Minter, Legal director of the National Center for Lesbian Rights suggests that the court’s ruling could impact the other forms of bias against transgender men and women, such as in employment.

Minter, who is also a transgender man said, “For transgender people, the stakes of this case are incredibly high. Whatever the court rules in Grimm may ensure that transgender people are accepted and included as equal members of our society, or it may relegate them to outsiders for decades to come.” Grimm in a statement said, “I never thought that my restroom use would ever turn into any kind of national debate. The only thing I ever asked for was the right to be treated like everyone else.” The school board’s Chairman, Troy Anderson welcomed the court’s decision to hear the case. He said that the “board’s policy carefully balances the interests of all students and parents.”

Conservative groups have also backed the board as they claim it to be students’ privacy rights. The board also garnered support from 20 states, 114 congress members and former Education Secretary William Bennett, who argued that under Title IX, the term ‘sex’ refers to an ‘immutable physiological characteristic, not an individual's self-reported 'internal sense of gender.’ Gary McCaleb, a lawyer with the Alliance Defending Freedom, a conservative Christian legal group said, “In light of the right to bodily privacy, federal law should not be twisted to require that a male be given access to the girls' facilities, or a female to the boys' facilities.”

The transgender fight further intensified when North Carolina passed a law in March backed by Republicans that required people to use bathrooms corresponding to their gender at birth in government buildings and public schools. The North Carolina law also blocked local measures protecting lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people from discrimination. In May, the Obama administration issued a nationwide guidance which allowed transgender students to use the bathroom of their choice. But the guidance enraged many conservatives and prompted a Republican-led legal effort to fight it. Twenty-three states sued to block the guidance. A U.S. district court judge in August issued a nationwide injunction preventing the administration from enforcing the guidance.

US Supreme Court to hear transgender bathroom case next year

Forum List

Back