Transcript Of A Jeremiah Wright Sermon

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by midcan5, Mar 22, 2008.

1. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,310
    "And he set me free to forgive stupidity, and he set me free to praise God in spite of an oppressive government. Our government has been oppressing folk since we stole this country from the Comanche. But I'm going to praise Him in spite of the government. Our country has been oppressing folks since it defined African men as three-fifths of a person. But I'm gonna praise Him in spite of our government. Our country has been oppressing folk since the Dred Scott decision in the 1850s and Plessy versus Ferguson at the end of last century. But I'm gonna praise him in spite of this government.

Our country has been confused about symbols. Since we became a country, we lift up the Liberty Bell, but we're defined by the hangman's noose. We say we want the Ten Commandments back up in the statehouse, but we refuse to take down the confederate flag from in front of the state capitol.

And guess what? [Guess what?] Guess what? [Guess what?] Tell your neighbor guess what? [Guess what?] It was in front of that flag, in Columbia, South Carolina, that our member Barack gave his acceptance speech.

If you praise God, I'm going to praise Him in spite of the government! My mind says we have work to do. My memory says I never shall forget how He loosed our chains and He loosed my chains! I know I have been changed, and my mouth says I will bless the Lord at all times! Oh magnify the Lord! Oh magnify the lord! Oh magnify the lord! And let us exalt God's name together!"

http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.html?id=4808fe74-023d-417b-8537-33763c33e399

2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    All I see is the perpetuation of sensationalist divisiveness, and some seriously biased/slanted opinions containing the appropriate buzzwords to invoke specific reactions.

I also see very little God and a LOT of ranting against the government in that alleged sermon. Is this guy a pastor? Or a teacher of warped, revisionist history?

3. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    It is in the North primarily that the Confederate Flag is seen as a symbol of racism. It is not seen that way in the South by the descendants of those who raised it. I am from the West and I do not see the Confederate Flag as a racist symbol. I see it as the symbol of those that thought succession was possible. That proved not to be the case. Yes, slavery was a cause of the Civil War, but not the only one. To reduce the Confederate Flag to a mere symbol of racism fails to comprehend the full scope of what happened between the North and the South. It may well be, as Rev. Wright claims, that America is sometimes confused about symbols. And this is no less so in the campaign of Obama:

[​IMG]

Obama's Houston campaign office.

4. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,482
    Not revisionist history I think. Selective history. If I was delivering that sermon I would point out those darker sides of our national pysche, and I would be expressing how God has changed the hearts and minds of the oppressor and those chains have been broken. I would explain how how the Apostle Paul taught in Galations 3:28: "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus." I would find a way to express that this scripture became a reality out of Christian convictions that it was wrong to subject one person to another because one person was 'different'. It was the Church who first rose up to oppose slavery and other oppression of peoples, and while civil rights activists included all stripes and ideologies, it was preaching from pulpits all over the country that changed hearts and minds and paved the way for desegregation to become a reality. Otherwise it would have been much longer coming.

And now we are all free. We can live in a mindset of anger and victimization and limit the opportunities for ourselves and our children, or we can choose to throw off the remmants of the chains and push people to take advantage of the opportunities they have to be better, to reach for their dreams, and be the best they can be.

I have heard such sermons in predominantly black churches and they were inspiring and wonderful.

That is not what Jeremiah Wright preaches.

5. midcan5

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,310
    How many who have replied so far are Black? And selective is what everyone is, care to look at your own past posts and tell me you are not?

6. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,482
    I come from a specific point of view based on my life experience, the choices I have made, and what I believe, yes. Those life experiences have placed me in quite a few black churches over the years and I can honestly say that I have NEVER heard angry, racist, anti-American Jeremiah Wright type rants preached from any other black pulpit, even those that are pretty social consciousness oriented. The closest to Jeremiah Wright would be Louis Farrakhan or James Cone but I have not heard either preach in person.

You are certainly within your right to disagree with my world view and what I consider to be the more constructive point of view.

Are you saying that you think Jeremiah Wright is preaching a positive gospel of hope, acceptance, encouragement, motivation to his parishioners? Or that it is helpful to preach to them to hear the kind of stuff he preaches?

7. midcan5

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,310
    Remember constructive is in your world view only.

Wright, as an American, is preaching his world view, funny how his view matters so much to you when it comes to political partisanship. Surely you see the difference or surely you don't.

8. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233

Yeap this shows how little you understand the other races that make up your fellow Americans. Che Guvera is a liberator to latino Americans. Go study his life and you will see why he is seen that way.

9. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,482
    Jeremiah Wright's views matter to me because I have been involved in social services (with some social activism mixed in) for most of my life and have seen close up and personal the destructive results of his kind of racist, anti-American views. The only way he matters to me in 'political partisanship' is that I do not want a president who agrees with, condones, or excuses the racist, anti-American doctrine of a Jeremiah Wright.

10. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,482
    Che Guevara is seen that way only by the ignorant, uneducated, and brainwashed Latinos who make up a distinct minority of that demographic. So what is the more positive message: extolling a man who helped Fidel Castro come to power which doomed the Cuban people to generations of restriction of human rights, unspeakable terrorism, oppression, and poverty? Admiring a man who has been instrumental in keeping South America a confused and self-destructive tangle of oppressed societres? Or preaching a doctrine that rejects dictators and promotes appreciation for freedom, liberty, and unfettered opportunity?

Read the writings of Bill Cosby, Thomas Sowell, Walter Williams, Shelby Steele et al and then tell me that theirs is not the message of reason, hope, opportunity, and real solutions to common problems. And then tell me that the message of Jeremiah Wright that condemns and promotes a mindset of oppression and victimization is in fact anything other than a message that promotes angry racism and animosity toward other people.

The first step in solving residual racism in America is to throw political correctness out the window, allow people to see and treat each other as Americans and equals instead of black, white, latino or whatever, and then move forward to solve our problems. That might require a black man to actually understand that his neighbor's Confederate flag is not a symbol of racism but rather a symbol of courage and rugged individualism.

We no longer divide people into separate points of view because they are of Italian or Irish or German descent. We need to get to that level of 'togetherness' with racial groups as well.