Transcript Of A Jeremiah Wright Sermon

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
"And he set me free to forgive stupidity, and he set me free to praise God in spite of an oppressive government. Our government has been oppressing folk since we stole this country from the Comanche. But I'm going to praise Him in spite of the government. Our country has been oppressing folks since it defined African men as three-fifths of a person. But I'm gonna praise Him in spite of our government. Our country has been oppressing folk since the Dred Scott decision in the 1850s and Plessy versus Ferguson at the end of last century. But I'm gonna praise him in spite of this government.

Our country has been confused about symbols. Since we became a country, we lift up the Liberty Bell, but we're defined by the hangman's noose. We say we want the Ten Commandments back up in the statehouse, but we refuse to take down the confederate flag from in front of the state capitol.

And guess what? [Guess what?] Guess what? [Guess what?] Tell your neighbor guess what? [Guess what?] It was in front of that flag, in Columbia, South Carolina, that our member Barack gave his acceptance speech.

If you praise God, I'm going to praise Him in spite of the government! My mind says we have work to do. My memory says I never shall forget how He loosed our chains and He loosed my chains! I know I have been changed, and my mouth says I will bless the Lord at all times! Oh magnify the Lord! Oh magnify the lord! Oh magnify the lord! And let us exalt God's name together!"

http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.html?id=4808fe74-023d-417b-8537-33763c33e399

"And he set me free to forgive stupidity, and he set me free to praise God in spite of an oppressive government. Our government has been oppressing folk since we stole this country from the Comanche. But I'm going to praise Him in spite of the government. Our country has been oppressing folks since it defined African men as three-fifths of a person. But I'm gonna praise Him in spite of our government. Our country has been oppressing folk since the Dred Scott decision in the 1850s and Plessy versus Ferguson at the end of last century. But I'm gonna praise him in spite of this government.

Our country has been confused about symbols. Since we became a country, we lift up the Liberty Bell, but we're defined by the hangman's noose. We say we want the Ten Commandments back up in the statehouse, but we refuse to take down the confederate flag from in front of the state capitol.

And guess what? [Guess what?] Guess what? [Guess what?] Tell your neighbor guess what? [Guess what?] It was in front of that flag, in Columbia, South Carolina, that our member Barack gave his acceptance speech.

If you praise God, I'm going to praise Him in spite of the government! My mind says we have work to do. My memory says I never shall forget how He loosed our chains and He loosed my chains! I know I have been changed, and my mouth says I will bless the Lord at all times! Oh magnify the Lord! Oh magnify the lord! Oh magnify the lord! And let us exalt God's name together!"

All I see is the perpetuation of sensationalist divisiveness, and some seriously biased/slanted opinions containing the appropriate buzzwords to invoke specific reactions.

I also see very little God and a LOT of ranting against the government in that alleged sermon. Is this guy a pastor? Or a teacher of warped, revisionist history?

It is in the North primarily that the Confederate Flag is seen as a symbol of racism. It is not seen that way in the South by the descendants of those who raised it. I am from the West and I do not see the Confederate Flag as a racist symbol. I see it as the symbol of those that thought succession was possible. That proved not to be the case. Yes, slavery was a cause of the Civil War, but not the only one. To reduce the Confederate Flag to a mere symbol of racism fails to comprehend the full scope of what happened between the North and the South. It may well be, as Rev. Wright claims, that America is sometimes confused about symbols. And this is no less so in the campaign of Obama:

2352341356_435a6ab439.jpg

Obama's Houston campaign office.

All I see is the perpetuation of sensationalist divisiveness, and some seriously biased/slanted opinions containing the appropriate buzzwords to invoke specific reactions.

I also see very little God and a LOT of ranting against the government in that alleged sermon. Is this guy a pastor? Or a teacher of warped, revisionist history?

Not revisionist history I think. Selective history. If I was delivering that sermon I would point out those darker sides of our national pysche, and I would be expressing how God has changed the hearts and minds of the oppressor and those chains have been broken. I would explain how how the Apostle Paul taught in Galations 3:28: "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus." I would find a way to express that this scripture became a reality out of Christian convictions that it was wrong to subject one person to another because one person was 'different'. It was the Church who first rose up to oppose slavery and other oppression of peoples, and while civil rights activists included all stripes and ideologies, it was preaching from pulpits all over the country that changed hearts and minds and paved the way for desegregation to become a reality. Otherwise it would have been much longer coming.

And now we are all free. We can live in a mindset of anger and victimization and limit the opportunities for ourselves and our children, or we can choose to throw off the remmants of the chains and push people to take advantage of the opportunities they have to be better, to reach for their dreams, and be the best they can be.

I have heard such sermons in predominantly black churches and they were inspiring and wonderful.

That is not what Jeremiah Wright preaches.

How many who have replied so far are Black? And selective is what everyone is, care to look at your own past posts and tell me you are not?

How many who have replied so far are Black? And selective is what everyone is, care to look at your own past posts and tell me you are not?

I come from a specific point of view based on my life experience, the choices I have made, and what I believe, yes. Those life experiences have placed me in quite a few black churches over the years and I can honestly say that I have NEVER heard angry, racist, anti-American Jeremiah Wright type rants preached from any other black pulpit, even those that are pretty social consciousness oriented. The closest to Jeremiah Wright would be Louis Farrakhan or James Cone but I have not heard either preach in person.

You are certainly within your right to disagree with my world view and what I consider to be the more constructive point of view.

Are you saying that you think Jeremiah Wright is preaching a positive gospel of hope, acceptance, encouragement, motivation to his parishioners? Or that it is helpful to preach to them to hear the kind of stuff he preaches?

You are certainly within your right to disagree with my world view and what I consider to be the more constructive point of view.

Are you saying that you think Jeremiah Wright is preaching a positive gospel of hope, acceptance, encouragement, motivation to his parishioners? Or that it is helpful to preach to them to hear the kind of stuff he preaches?

Remember constructive is in your world view only.

Wright, as an American, is preaching his world view, funny how his view matters so much to you when it comes to political partisanship. Surely you see the difference or surely you don't.

It is in the North primarily that the Confederate Flag is seen as a symbol of racism. It is not seen that way in the South by the descendants of those who raised it. I am from the West and I do not see the Confederate Flag as a racist symbol. I see it as the symbol of those that thought succession was possible. That proved not to be the case. Yes, slavery was a cause of the Civil War, but not the only one. To reduce the Confederate Flag to a mere symbol of racism fails to comprehend the full scope of what happened between the North and the South. It may well be, as Rev. Wright claims, that America is sometimes confused about symbols. And this is no less so in the campaign of Obama:

2352341356_435a6ab439.jpg

Obama's Houston campaign office.

Yeap this shows how little you understand the other races that make up your fellow Americans. Che Guvera is a liberator to latino Americans. Go study his life and you will see why he is seen that way.

Wright, as an American, is preaching his world view, funny how his view matters so much to you when it comes to political partisanship. Surely you see the difference or surely you don't.

Jeremiah Wright's views matter to me because I have been involved in social services (with some social activism mixed in) for most of my life and have seen close up and personal the destructive results of his kind of racist, anti-American views. The only way he matters to me in 'political partisanship' is that I do not want a president who agrees with, condones, or excuses the racist, anti-American doctrine of a Jeremiah Wright.

Yeap this shows how little you understand the other races that make up your fellow Americans. Che Guvera is a liberator to latino Americans. Go study his life and you will see why he is seen that way.

Che Guevara is seen that way only by the ignorant, uneducated, and brainwashed Latinos who make up a distinct minority of that demographic. So what is the more positive message: extolling a man who helped Fidel Castro come to power which doomed the Cuban people to generations of restriction of human rights, unspeakable terrorism, oppression, and poverty? Admiring a man who has been instrumental in keeping South America a confused and self-destructive tangle of oppressed societres? Or preaching a doctrine that rejects dictators and promotes appreciation for freedom, liberty, and unfettered opportunity?

Read the writings of Bill Cosby, Thomas Sowell, Walter Williams, Shelby Steele et al and then tell me that theirs is not the message of reason, hope, opportunity, and real solutions to common problems. And then tell me that the message of Jeremiah Wright that condemns and promotes a mindset of oppression and victimization is in fact anything other than a message that promotes angry racism and animosity toward other people.

The first step in solving residual racism in America is to throw political correctness out the window, allow people to see and treat each other as Americans and equals instead of black, white, latino or whatever, and then move forward to solve our problems. That might require a black man to actually understand that his neighbor's Confederate flag is not a symbol of racism but rather a symbol of courage and rugged individualism.

We no longer divide people into separate points of view because they are of Italian or Irish or German descent. We need to get to that level of 'togetherness' with racial groups as well.

I have done such reading and Che Guvera was an authoritarian communist murderer who tried to shoot his way into power everywhere he operated from Cuba, to Africa, to South America. My favorite Che quote is from his “Message to the Tricontinental” on how to use hatred: “hatred as an element of struggle; unbending hatred for the enemy, which pushes a human being beyond his natural limitations, making him into an effective, violent, selective, and cold-blooded killing machine.” What a delightful guy. While on the way to Havana with Castro he wrote that he was "here in the Cuban jungle, alive and bloodthirsty.”

In January 1957, as his diary from the Sierra Maestra indicates, Guevara shot Eutimio Guerra because he suspected him of passing on information: “I ended the problem with a .32 caliber pistol, in the right side of his brain.... His belongings were now mine.” Later he shot Aristidio, a peasant who expressed the desire to leave whenever the rebels moved on. While he wondered whether this particular victim “was really guilty enough to deserve death,” he had no qualms about ordering the death of Echevarría, a brother of one of his comrades, because of unspecified crimes: “He had to pay the price.” At other times he would simulate executions without carrying them out, as a method of psychological torture.

http://www.independent.org/newsroom/article.asp?id=1535

http://www.slate.com/id/2107100/

http://www.today.ucla.edu/1997/971010CheShow.html

2324168328_f041ff06a2_m.jpg

He also said this

Where a government has come into power through some form of popular vote, fraudulent or not, and maintains at least an appearance of constitutional legality, the guerrilla outbreak cannot be promoted, since the possibilities of peaceful struggle have not yet been exhausted. - Ernesto Che Guevara

He also said this

Where a government has come into power through some form of popular vote, fraudulent or not, and maintains at least an appearance of constitutional legality, the guerrilla outbreak cannot be promoted, since the possibilities of peaceful struggle have not yet been exhausted. - Ernesto Che Guevara
I thought truth mattered to you. There is the idiotic distortion of the Motorcycle Diaries and there is the reality of Che's life. Which is more important to you? Read the two Left of Center publications I posted above: Slate and UCLA Today. Do you think they were predisposed to misrepresent the reality of Che's life, as in the Motorcycle Diaries? No. Che was actually a totalitarian murderer. There is no getting around that, no matter how many Hollywood stars sport Che t-shirts:

johnnydeppche1.jpeg

Searching for Neverland

http://www.trenblindado.com/Checult1.htm

Oh hey...a liberator. Go try and spread that cow dung among the Cuban American community in South Florida and see how far you get. Che was psychopathic killer and thief. You've bought into Fidel's myth of Che--read both sides of the argument, talk to some families who lost family members to Che purge...and then decide.

He also said this

Have you given any serious thought to what Che Guevara is actually saying here? I can't believe that you actually read this within its historical context. In true Marxist fashion, the man is opposing any democracy lest his preferred agenda for terrorism and violence be thwarted.

I see an argument of realtivism being made in order to equate preaching hate and divisiveness with love, hope and contructiveness. The former as well as the latter both having specific meanings in the English language; therefore, not dependent on one's world view; rather, definition.

Onedomino's post is actually quite factually correct, and shows a better understanding of the topic than most.

Che Guevara was another preacher of hatred and divisiveness. I find it rather telling that those of you who are trying to blind us with smoke and mirrors and deflect by calling us racists and/or telling us we don't understand will point to haters and dividers -- racists -- as "heroes" and people to look up to.

And look to your own double standard. You defend Wright. You defend Guevara. Yet you chastise William Joyce for doing the same damned thing they are.

Onedomino's post is actually quite factually correct, and shows a better understanding of the topic than most.

Che Guevara was another preacher of hatred and divisiveness. I find it rather telling that those of you who are trying to blind us with smoke and mirrors and deflect by calling us racists and/or telling us we don't understand will point to haters and dividers -- racists -- as "heroes" and people to look up to.

And look to your own double standard. You defend Wright. You defend Guevara. Yet you chastise William Joyce for doing the same damned thing they are.

THIS will be another of your posts, in response, that will be COMPLETLY ignored.

Good one Gunny, and I completely agree.......:clap2:

Jeremiah Wright's views matter to me because I have been involved in social services (with some social activism mixed in) for most of my life and have seen close up and personal the destructive results of his kind of racist, anti-American views. The only way he matters to me in 'political partisanship' is that I do not want a president who agrees with, condones, or excuses the racist, anti-American doctrine of a Jeremiah Wright.

You must be Rip Van Winkle if you can write that knowing our history. I am old enough to remember no Blacks on TV, separate facilities, discrimination, the trouble with you yoots - I hope you are a yoot - is you know no history you know only partisan rewrites of history. And can I judge you on your priest, rabbi, minister or mullah? If I can let me know how that is so I can see what you believe.

Che Guevara was another preacher of hatred and divisiveness.

And I am sure to many our founding fathers were preachers of hatred and divisiveness. Those things are always thrown at those who seek change. Che Guevara is not the issue here though, the issue is the distractions that confuse the issues and smear based on idiotic comparisons. That Guevara got into this discussion is telling and irrelevant.

Forum List

Back