Trams

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Chinese trackless trams that run on batteries powered by solar energy. Hoping that there are a few luddites on here who can tell me what is wrong with this .

Chinese trackless trams that run on batteries powered by solar energy. Hoping that there are a few luddites on here who can tell me what is wrong with this .

They will not operate in minus 35 degree weather....for one thing....hey isn't that when you really need a bus...when its fucking cold?.....

It's essentially a big electric bus.

The "solar" part is nonsense. It recharges off of the grid. The grid might be partially solar powered, but that doesn't make the tram solar-powered.

If its viable, then it would be one thing to do. However it would be limiting in some ways as older cities have narrower streets.

Hybrid buses and fully electric buses have been around for some time. I don't see much revolutionary there. Hyping on their advanced suspension and telling us it can be powered by solar makes it seems to me that they're struggling to say something nice about it.

Hoping that there are a few luddites on here who can tell me what is wrong with this .

Overcast_skies_from_Tropical_Storm_Danny.jpg

Solar power sounds good, if the batteries can store a lot of energy. Not sure I like the trackless idea, I prefer tracks.

D.C. had them, they were bought by the automotive/oil industry (maybe only one or both, I don't remember), dismantled in the early 60s and I think the streetcars were sold to Yugoslavia.

There's a new line apparently, not very long:

It's just a driverless electric bus. Big whoopie. ; - ). When we get driverless ice-cream-man trucks - that'll be the day!

There's not enough area to provide total power for that much weight.. That "train" has less solar panel area than a large home installation. Probably good for 8 to 10KWatts PEAK -- if the sun is DIRECTLY OVERHEAD. Most hours of the day it will be 1/3 of that or less.

A home electric heater can be 15Kwatts easily.. And that's not enough energy to sustain that beasty machine for daylong service...

So they're probably "tanked up" at night before the commuter hours and the solar is just a "peaker" charger for the main rush hour runs... And in CHINA -- that means they are run by COAL..

That's what's wrong with the idea. Maybe in China the buses stop running at 7 or 8 PM also...

Sorry.. I watched the video.. It's pure propaganda. There are NO solar panels on the "train".. It's charged "off the grid".. In China - that''s a coal powered train. The BULLSHIT about it being powered by solar is just BULLSHIT. Because at NIGHT when these things "tank up" --- there IS NO SOLAR...

The designers KNEW solar panels on the roof would be just a "bell and whistle" would add no value for the high cost of installing them...

So much lying and ignorance.. Spreading ignorance and "false hope" should be a crime..

Forum List

Back