Trailing of the sheep parade in Ketchum Idaho

When I was stationed in Wuerzberg, Germany, I used to play a lot of golf at a military course outside of Kitzigen. Like all European courses at that time, they never mowed the rough, just let it grow all year. Then, in the fall, they brought in a flock of sheep that made quick work of the thigh-high grass. It was always fun to watch the one sheep dog manage more than a hundred sheep - just by hand signals from the shepherd.

When I was stationed in Wuerzberg, Germany, I used to play a lot of golf at a military course outside of Kitzigen. Like all European courses at that time, they never mowed the rough, just let it grow all year. Then, in the fall, they brought in a flock of sheep that made quick work of the thigh-high grass. It was always fun to watch the one sheep dog manage more than a hundred sheep - just by hand signals from the shepherd.

I spent some time working with goats. They were used to clear overgrown areas. The owner has a herding dog. It was amazing to watch. Had to make sure the livestock guard dogs were put up. They wanted to kill the herding dog.

Yup. Border collies are great herding dogs. I've owned and trialed them in NC and Virginia.
I've done herding and obedience with them. Super smart.

They are so smart they scare you.

Great dogs but they don't make good pets because they need a job to do.

If you don't give them one they will find one and you might not like what they find.

Forum List

Back