Tragedy at Sunday’s Las Vegas Indy 300.

Ummm...let me see?? 20-30 Cars going over 220 mph???.... all crowded together like a Denver freeway???....

Something bad happened???? Well knock me over with a feather!!!

Give me a break you ghouls. That's what attracts you people to racing...THE CRASHES...THE BLOOD!!!

I don't feel sorry for the fools that donate their lives for your entertainment and I especially am offended by your crocodile tears.

Bullshit. It's the speed, and the near-misses. They idolize the drivers, and wish they could do what they do. Wouldn't there be crashes every fucking race if it is as you describe it?

How did Dale Earnhardt race for as long as he did if it's nothing but a death trap waiting to spring.

Ummm...let me see?? 20-30 Cars going over 220 mph???.... all crowded together like a Denver freeway???....

Give me a break you ghouls. That's what attracts you people to racing...THE CRASHES...THE BLOOD!!!

I don't feel sorry for the fools that donate their lives for your entertainment and I especially am offended by your crocodile tears.

Bullshit. It's the speed, and the near-misses. They idolize the drivers, and wish they could do what they do. Wouldn't there be crashes every fucking race if it is as you describe it?

How did Dale Earnhardt race for as long as he did if it's nothing but a death trap waiting to spring.

Sorry Boop! You've crashed and burned on this one. Your reference to "near misses" is telling. Near misses from what pray tell? Watching people that are risking inevitable death from a near miss that turns into predictable carnage is no different than the Romans watching gladiators fight to the death or the lions eating the Christians. You don't watch for the lucky ones...

All in all, not a bad way to go; doing something you love.

Sure as hell beats rotting away in a nursing home.

Sorry Boop! You've crashed and burned on this one. Your reference to "near misses" is telling. Near misses from what pray tell? Watching people that are risking inevitable death from a near miss that turns into predictable carnage is no different than the Romans watching gladiators fight to the death or the lions eating the Christians. You don't watch for the lucky ones...

I don't watch racing. I have friends and family who do.

Do you watch? Or are you speaking to that which you know nothing about?

What bothers me is that the drivers expressed their concerns about the Las Vegas speedway before the race. That racetrack is made for NASCAR-type speeds, NOT open wheel Indy cars that can crack 230 MPH.

The newer "super speedways" are big moneymakers because of the number of spectators they can accomodate. It's all about MONEY, and the fact that NASCAR has reduced Indy car racing to an afterthought. I guess these big crashes are one way for the Indy car circuit to stay in the news.

I've been around a long time, and I used to be a huge Indy car fan, going back to the late 60s. I've seen many good drivers die horrible deaths because of poor safety procedures, lack of safety equipment for the drivers, and the greed of race promoters.

Vukovich, Bettenhausen, Sachs, Savage, Malloy, Pollard, Smiley, Moore, Brayton, Renna, Wheldon.............those are just a few of the names. The Savage, Smiley, and Moore fatal crashes were the most horrific crashes I have ever seen.

These crashes are always a tragedy, especially when a lot of them could have been prevented.

Wrong race on track meant for NASCAR events...
:confused:
Dan Wheldon IndyCar crash: Were racers driving recklessly?
October 17, 2011 - Dan Weldon's death in a fiery 15-car crash on Sunday has left the motor sports world in shock. Could the crash have been avoided?
British IndyCar driver Dan Wheldon has died after a horrific 15-car crash at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway on Sunday which left the motor sports world in shock. The two-time winner of the Indy 500 was involved in a multi-car accident 13 laps into the Las Vegas Indy 300 which sent his vehicle flying and left wreckage and debris across the track. Wheldon's car flew over another and caught part of the catch fence just past the apex of turn two. The incident left Townsend Bell's car upside down and smoldering cars strewn along the track. Wheldon, who lived in St. Petersburg, Florida, was flown by helicopter to University Medical Center in Las Vegas for treatment before his death was announced two hours later.

"IndyCar is very sad to announce that Dan Wheldon has passed away from unsurvivable injuries," IndyCar Series CEO Randy Bernard said in a statement. "Our thoughts and prayers are with his family today." The race was canceled and drivers returned later for a moving and tearful five-lap tribute. A popular figure, Wheldon was the 2005 Indy Racing League IndyCar Series champion and he won the Indy500 race that year and also in 2011 -- the 100th anniversary of the event. When the drivers returned to the track, Wheldon's fellow British driver, Scotsman Dario Franchitti, was sobbing uncontrollably as he was strapped back into his car.

"Crazy stuff"

"I could see within five laps people were starting to do crazy stuff," said Franchitti, who avoided the incident and with the cancellation of the race won his third straight series title. "I love hard racing but that to me is not really what it's about. One small mistake from somebody... "Right now I'm numb and speechless," he said. "One minute you're joking around in driver intros and the next he's gone. "He was six-years-old when I first met him. He was this little kid and the next thing you know he was my team mate," said Franchitti, who raced together with Wheldon at Andretti Green Racing. "We put so much pressure on ourselves to win races and championships and today it doesn't matter."

Crews lined up along the pit lane and fans in the stands stood silently as the drivers paid tribute to the popular Wheldon. The cancelling of the race meant that Franchitti won his third straight series title. Wheldon, who did not have a regular ride this season, could have won a $5 million prize which was on offer at the Vegas event for a non-full-time winner of the season finale. The Englishman had not raced since winning the most recent Indy 500 in May. While not a household name like Formula One drivers in Britain, Wheldon could certainly count himself as among the most successful British drivers in world motor sports.

After winning eight British national titles in karting and then finishing third in the 1998 Formula Ford championship in Britain, Wheldon moved to the United States in pursuit of better opportunities. He clinched the F2000 Championship Series in 1999 with six victories and then moved into IndyCar where he won rookie of the year honours in 2003. Wheldon claimed the 2005 series thanks to six wins for Andretti Green Racing. The Englishman later raced for Panther Racing and his final team Bryan Herta Autosport. Wheldon leaves his wife Susie and their two young sons.

Source

See also:

Dan Wheldon: Death of IndyCar driver rattles 'fearless' racing culture
October 17, 2011 - While IndyCar already plans to introduce a safer car next year, the death of Dan Wheldon is spurring calls for other safety measures, including some introspection on the part of drivers.
Before Dan Wheldon's open-wheeled race car went airborne and crashed into the track fence during a 15-car pileup at an IndyCar Circuit race in Las Vegas Sunday night, the scrappy, popular two-time Indianapolis 500 winner had been chasing a $5 million bonus, payable if he won. The horrific crash, which killed Mr. Wheldon, shook the motorsport world and is likely to spark safety enhancements over and above those already planned for next year's IndyCar circuit, which includes a completely rebuilt racing car with more safety padding. Sunday night's race was the finale for the the 2011 circuit.

Long before Sunday's crash, IndyCar had helped pioneer major safety improvements that have dramatically reduced the number of deaths in the major motorsports over the past decade, including new, more forgiving track barriers, new head restraints, and, starting next year, a new car, largely tested by Wheldon, with more safety padding and a device to prevent the open-seated cars from going airborne much in the manner of Sunday's brutal crash. But for many people around the sport, and beyond, Wheldon's death said less about safety mechanics than it did about the nature of open-wheeled racing at the international level, where machismo, bravado, and desperation to win a purse still reign as cars jockey for position with minimal margin for error.

Right before the race, drivers had raised concerns about the extreme speeds being recorded at the Las Vegas track, which has high banks that allow racers to maintain speeds gained on the flats, especially with 34 cars packed onto the oval track. IndyCar Series races are held both on ovals and on streets. Driver A.J. Allmendinger, who did not race Sunday, told Fox Sports that the accident will likely force a new discussion within IndyCar about safety measures that can be instituted beyond changes to equipment and tracks. That, he said, should mean fewer cars being allowed to race, and some tracks – including the Las Vegas short oval – being scrapped.

"Hopefully, we learn something from this," he said. "First, Dan needs to be remembered before everybody jumps on IndyCar, then there needs to be action. There doesn’t need to be 34 cars; it’s a ticking time bomb. Obviously, with the new car coming in, it needs to be safer, but there are tracks that they don’t need to race at.” The crash came in Turn 2 on Lap 13, as the field of drivers were gunning their cars in close quarters, in front of what was considered a small crowd of 25,000.

MORE

Last edited:
Really AWFUL SCENE Infidel,Thanks (if that's the right word) for your caring post.....thoughts for his wife and very young children.

theliq
LAS VEGAS (AP) — IndyCar driver Dan Wheldon was killed after his car went sailing through the air during a massive 15-car wreck early in Sunday’s Las Vegas Indy 300.

Driver Dan Wheldon killed in 15-car crash at Indy 500

I really am speechless.... what a horrible crash!

R.I.P. Daniel, you will be missed.

images.jpg

My prayers go out to his family

439x.jpg

You are right Cali,but NO ONE ever really thinks that they,themselves will get killed,such a young family,very Sad indeed.theliq
Did someone force him into the car? No. He was offered $5m to get from the back of the pack to the front. His risk. His life. His decision. That's not callous... it's logical. Which is more than I can say about your ridiculous accusation about Cain and the fence.

Moron.

Look up the word callous California Girl

You must be wonderful to have around at funerals

Are you on life-support? Because your brain seems to have stopped functioning at all. This particular incident - not death in general, moron - it was his decision. He knew the risks and he chose to take it. He died. I'm sorry for his family but I'm not gonna be ripping my clothes and shedding crocodile tears over some fool who chose to risk his life for the entertainment of the masses.

Really UNFAIR COMMENT Huggy.....U should no better.theliq

Listening to the reports about this on WTOP, I understand that the drivers expressed concern for the speeds that will take place during the race.

This is a track designed for stock cars, not Indy cars.

They need to reevaluate using stock car tracks for Indy car speeds. Either don't use these tracks or put governors on the Indy cars to limit the speeds during races on these tracks.

So tragic. RIP and my thoughts an prayers are with the family.

I also understand that Wheldon was the one who was testing the new safety features Indy car racing required for the cars.

Tragic irony.

(I'd link, but I only got the info from the radio - WTOP.)

I don't watch racing. I have friends and family who do.

Do you watch? Or are you speaking to that which you know nothing about?

Nothing?...Maybe. I've never raced oval but had a lot of experience in drag racing 1/4 mile in my yute. My top speed in the 1/4 was 146. Been up near 150 on one of my motorcycles. No..I don't watch. Maybe a few minutes here or there on the tube...just because I'm into cars and machinery... I watch the unlimited hydos because it is something I have been close to living here in Seattle on the water most of my life.

A little story....

I was 14...talkin to one of my girlfriends, Linda...who interestingly enough was also seeing Roger Fisher an original member of the band Heart at the time.., on the phone early one Sat morn and a hydo was practicing right in front of my grandparents place on Arrowhead Point on Lake Washington. The guy caught a gust right in front of our dock and the boat flipped way up in the air and exploded when it hit nose first. I ran outta the house and grabbed my friend Dave and we raced over to Dick Brunus's house cuz he had a drag boat tied up to his dock. We all jumped in and Dick floored it over to the wreckage. From the crash till we got there couldn't have taken more than 5 min. Dave and I pulled the driver intro the boat and the guys head was on my lap. He was still alive but barely breathing..bleeding from his mouth and ears. We raced at probably 70 mph to the Kenmore Air Harbor which was about 5 blocks from the Kenmore fire station. Unfortunately he was too badly injured and died in my lap and arms. It took the fire guys over half an hour to get there. When they put oxygen to his face blood shot about three feet out each of his ears.

Ya...I guess I don't know much about oval car racing... maybe a little about death in racing..

You know about death - and yet you completely lack any compassion or understanding when a young man dies. You accuse the crowd of thoughts and emotions you yourself would never entertain - and yes, even me. How you can know all that and STILL not know the difference between exhilaration, adrenaline, and excitement vs hoping someone will die so we can all be thrilled?

Seriously.

And, that is exactly why I don't watch racing.

You know about death - and yet you completely lack any compassion or understanding when a young man dies. You accuse the crowd of thoughts and emotions you yourself would never entertain - and yes, even me. How you can know all that and STILL not know the difference between exhilaration, adrenaline, and excitement vs hoping someone will die so we can all be thrilled?

Seriously.

I get competition..and adrenaline ...and male hormones...I can't count the number of times I cheated death myself. It's the nature of being young and dumb and full of cum.

The drivers should have listened to themselves and boycotted the race. It was foolish to race under those conditions. Reminds me of myself when a fast car would pull up to a light and before you knew it we would be racing through town trying to prove who was the bravest and the fastest.

I don't care how fancy the driving suit is or how many sponsors stickers are on the car. There is a disconnect from reality and the certainty of death when enough pressure is put on people eager to be the fastest or the most popular.

The driver we are talking about here was well aware of the risks...so was his wife..and his fans. He was a fool to take the normal risks amplified by that track.

Compassion? What was he fighting for or defending? He died entertaining people. Sad.

Seriously.

I get competition..and adrenaline ...and male hormones...I can't count the number of times I cheated death myself. It's the nature of being young and dumb and full of cum.

The drivers should have listened to themselves and boycotted the race. It was foolish to race under those conditions. Reminds me of myself when a fast car would pull up to a light and before you knew it we would be racing through town trying to prove who was the bravest and the fastest.

I don't care how fancy the driving suit is or how many sponsors stickers are on the car. There is a disconnect from reality and the certainty of death when enough pressure is put on people eager to be the fastest or the most popular.

The driver we are talking about here was well aware of the risks...so was his wife..and his fans. He was a fool to take the normal risks amplified by that track.

Compassion? What was he fighting for or defending? He died entertaining people. Sad.

He died doing what he loved. I envy him.

Seriously.

So did Hitler.... OOPS!...my bad! :eek:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah - that Hitler. Loved committing suicide to avoid prosecution. I envy him.

No wait.

Why on earth must you be such an asshole about this.... ?

Just because someone has a dangerous job, does not mean they deserve to die if something goes horribly wrong?
Do you say that when a plane crashes also? I mean thats dangerous. Do all the people on the plane deserve to die also??? I mean they know the risk going in......

Jesus, some of you here really are callous if ya ask me.

Ive raced for many years on the 1/4 mile also. You plan to make it home every night, you take every precaution possible.... but things go wrong.

Forum List

Back