Trade Nominee Ron Kirk to Pay $10,000 in Back Taxes

I don't understand why he'd have to pay taxes on money he donated.

Not all donations are tax breaks, for example most of the Police societies that collect for fallen officers have no tax exemptions either, nor fire departments or rescue squads. Why would a donation to a college be tax exempt?
Why wouldn't they be? I donate to schools and the donations are tax deductible.

Public schools are different since they run on TAXES to begin with. Depending on the college that simply is not true. My donations to my local volunteer fire department is not even tax deductable. Nor any of the sheriff or State Trooper societies I give to. The emergency vehicle fund is not tax deductable either. In fact nothing I donate money to is.

Course, you don't post the part of the link that makes your point look bad.

Kirk routinely gave any speaking fees he earned to Austin College, the committee said, and did not list them on his tax returns.

Instead, the committee said he should have listed the fees as income, then claimed them as charitable donations. The estimated effect was to reduce Kirk's tax bill by an estimated $5,800, according to the report.

Kirk also deducted more than $17,000 as entertainment expenses for the cost of Mavericks' tickets. The committee said he substantiated about $9,900 of that amount, and will owe about $2,600 in taxes on the balance.

The committee said that last fall, Kirk amended his income tax return for 2006, paying an additional $2,188 in tax and $139 in interest after a notification from the Internal Revenue Service. The return was filed by a paid tax preparer, the panel added.
He wasn't dodging his taxes, he simply did a small portion wrong. :eek: He's human! Run for the hills cause nobody has ever ever gotten something wrong on their taxes! :eek:
Oh, thanks...that was missing from the article I read. The horror!

One cannot help but wonder if the BUSH II team's previously decades tax returns were vetted with the same amount of scrutiny as Obama is CLEARLY doing with his adminsitration?

If the man didn't pay taxes he owed, and if he in any way shape or form KNEW he was underpaying, or if in any way shape or form he attempted to coverup his unpaid taxes, then he is guilty of a crime.

Jusging from what little information we have here, this looks like another case where somebody mistakenly thought that money he did not get, but instead give to charity, was not taxable.

Is that a evidence of criminal intent?

I doubt it.

But if it is, then by all means bring him to justice for it.

This refreshing change from the standard partisan thinking which some of you, no doubt, are accustomed, is being brought to you by liberal thinking.

Enjoy!

I don't understand why he'd have to pay taxes on money he donated.

Not all donations are tax breaks, for example most of the Police societies that collect for fallen officers have no tax exemptions either, nor fire departments or rescue squads. Why would a donation to a college be tax exempt?

I maybe wrong but I remember hearing something about the amount you can claim for donations will be greatly reduced in the near future.

I maybe wrong but I remember hearing something about the amount you can claim for donations will be greatly reduced in the near future.

Because of all the tax increases BO will put into effect, we won't have any disposable income to donate.

Therefore, the amount of money we donate will drop - thus the amount we will can claim will drop.

Course, you don't post the part of the link that makes your point look bad.

Kirk routinely gave any speaking fees he earned to Austin College, the committee said, and did not list them on his tax returns.

Instead, the committee said he should have listed the fees as income, then claimed them as charitable donations. The estimated effect was to reduce Kirk's tax bill by an estimated $5,800, according to the report.

Kirk also deducted more than $17,000 as entertainment expenses for the cost of Mavericks' tickets. The committee said he substantiated about $9,900 of that amount, and will owe about $2,600 in taxes on the balance.

The committee said that last fall, Kirk amended his income tax return for 2006, paying an additional $2,188 in tax and $139 in interest after a notification from the Internal Revenue Service. The return was filed by a paid tax preparer, the panel added.

He wasn't dodging his taxes, he simply did a small portion wrong. :eek: He's human! Run for the hills cause nobody has ever ever gotten something wrong on their taxes! :eek:

Please, since when can you not report income because you gave to charity? That is exactly what he did-- not to mention it must be nice to claim 19 GRAND in tickets to sporting events as a tax write off.

Now, I know why democrats don't mind raising everyone's taxes. "They don't pay them."

What--isn't this the 4th appointee by President Obama who has owed back taxes. Geez--you would think after they caught the 1st appointee owing back taxes, that they would have checked on the following 3 to make certain they had paid them.

LOL

Forum List

Back