TPP

IsaacNewton

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2015
There seems to be pretty good consensus here regarding the TPP being a bad idea.

Is this something we can all agree needs to be opposed? If you agree post a short note here. I know its a long shot but so what. This is a direct threat to all American workers regardless of party.

A point for calm:

The TPA and the TAA are done deals.

The TPP will require 51 votes in the Senate. There is supposed to be a 60 period for examination of the agreement prior to legislative action.

If.....upon inspection.....the deal is shit.....there is a chance that public opinion could get it shitcanned.

Yes and I think almost everyone believes the TPP is a very bad idea. So why don't we get consensus on this.

I think there is still a lot that is not known about the details of TPP but a free trade deal in the region is a good idea. The US is desperate to establish better trade relationships in Asia and it is crucial that the US opens up the region to US goods and services. Especially if the US ever wants to sign a more favorable trade deal with China.

Japan seems more open to lessening their trade barriers than ever before. This is the most important member of TPP for the US and a lot of the success or failure of the deal will likely come down to how open Japan becomes.

The rest of the nations all have some upside and downside to them but taken together should establish trade relationships that compare favorably to non free trade relationships we have in the region.

They are hiding the text of the bill from the public. I've had it with this sort of nonsense, they need to make the bill public. If it is good for American workers and small business then that will come out. If it benefits only large corporations and does great damage to jobs in America then it needs to be stopped.

The fact that the Republicans in Congress were all but hugging Obama for supporting it makes one think the latter is the case.

The U.S. is the largest market for goods in the world, we consume 25% of everything on Earth. I think we should exercise our position to OUR advantage.

They are hiding the text of the bill from the public. I've had it with this sort of nonsense, they need to make the bill public. If it is good for American workers and small business then that will come out. If it benefits only large corporations and does great damage to jobs in America then it needs to be stopped.

The fact that the Republicans in Congress were all but hugging Obama for supporting it makes one think the latter is the case.

The U.S. is the largest market for goods in the world, we consume 25% of everything on Earth. I think we should exercise our position to OUR advantage.

Some of the agreement needs to be secret to prevent special interests from ruining it but there are other provisions that can and should be established outside the closed door meetings. Congress understands that it can't really be trusted to negotiate a free trade deal.

It will be interesting to see what the deal includes concerning our protections of the US sugar industry in Florida which has been protected in previous free trade deals with Australia because of the political importance of Florida even though that industry causes all sorts of environmental problems in the Everglades and is dependent on protectionism to survive (increasing the cost of sugar for everyone in the meantime).

The US has some leverage but we are already open to trade with Japan and are desperate to establish trade deals because we are also open to trade with China. These deals are meant to help our bargaining position with China by increasing trade with their competition and at the same time making the concessions they make easier to swallow.

Like Nafta it off shores jobs that could be done by Americans. It sucks.

Bill Clinton got NAFTA passed and we immediately went on a growth spurt that lasted 15 years.

Bad idea, huh?

So much for that "Giant Sucking Sound" the Insane One warned us about.

If we don't make deals with these 11 Countries, China will.

And the deals China makes won't favor us. In fact, if you would take the time to notice, China's Equity Markets have been taking a shit ever since the TPP has gotten traction while ours have been taking off.

Come on, people. Stop buying into the dimocrap scum Union Lies.

And the primitives, the liberturdians. They're almost as bad as dimocrap scum except they're not intentionally dishonest, they're just stupid

"Come on, people. Stop buying into the dimocrap scum Union Lies."

Run along, you have nothing of substance to contribute. Your view of the world is so skewed one way that reality cannot enter.

Secrecy is guaranteed to foster corruption.
The fact that there's been a virtual blackout on this process is very ominous.
Can we have any confidence that the bunch of crooks who got us where we are will put the interests of the people above their own?

There seems to be pretty good consensus here regarding the TPP being a bad idea.

Is this something we can all agree needs to be opposed? If you agree post a short note here. I know its a long shot but so what. This is a direct threat to all American workers regardless of party.

Actually TPP is a very good since it exposes American business to free trade rather than protects and cripples it. Moreover, its especially good for America since we already have very few tariffs against imports while the other TPP countries have far more that will be disappearing and thus opening up foreign markets that had been closed to American exports. In fact, 18,000 tariffs will becoming down that now block American exports to TPP countries.

Do you understand??

Actually TPP is a very good since it exposes American business to free trade rather than protects and cripples it. Moreover, its especially good for America since we already have very few tariffs against imports while the other TPP countries have far more that will be disappearing and thus opening up foreign markets that had been closed to American exports. In fact, 18,000 tariffs will becoming down that now block American exports to TPP countries.

Do you understand??

No one does, the text of the treaty isn't made public, hence the comments.

You can listen to elected officials say 'trust me' and feel fuzzy all you want. I don't.

We've spend trillions on defense and the military can't even protect US soil. We spent trillions on a war in Iraq and the country is split apart. Most of the treaties we've seen in the last 20 years have benefitted the wealthy few and screwed the working people of the US.

Trust us.

Never again.

Do you understand??

You can listen to elected officials say 'trust me' and feel fuzzy all you want. I don't.

We've spend trillions on defense and the military can't even protect US soil. We spent trillions on a war in Iraq and the country is split apart. Most of the treaties we've seen in the last 20 years have benefitted the wealthy few and screwed the working people of the US.

Trust us.

Never again.
and how pathetic all the false hand-wringing over China.....

The Chinese to their credit are actually fighting corruption in government not promoting it, while our corrupt Congress has promoted an immigration scheme where corrupt Chinese can hide from their government by buying their way into the US (the EB-5 program).

over 150 former high level corrupt Chinese are estimated to be hiding in the US.

and yet our sell-out Congressmen will promote the eb-5 program while pretending to be concerned about Chinese influence.

Some of the agreement needs to be secret to prevent special interests from ruining it but there are other provisions that can and should be established outside the closed door meetings. Congress understands that it can't really be trusted to negotiate a free trade deal.

It will be interesting to see what the deal includes concerning our protections of the US sugar industry in Florida which has been protected in previous free trade deals with Australia because of the political importance of Florida even though that industry causes all sorts of environmental problems in the Everglades and is dependent on protectionism to survive (increasing the cost of sugar for everyone in the meantime).

The US has some leverage but we are already open to trade with Japan and are desperate to establish trade deals because we are also open to trade with China. These deals are meant to help our bargaining position with China by increasing trade with their competition and at the same time making the concessions they make easier to swallow.
Some of the agreement needs to be secret to prevent special interests from ruining it
Corporate special interests have been instrumental in writing and negotiating the deal.

Do you understand??

Trust us.

Never again.

Total BS of course. Do you understand the benefits of free trade? If so then you must support TPP. Every insider in every country involved (including our Democrats and Republicans) says TPP it is primarily about free trade. I highly doubt that its a huge world wide conspiracy that says its about free trade when really its about something else entirely.

Why not just admit as a liberal that you lack the IQ to understand free trade?

Free trade agreements what a joke. The question you people should be asking is why? Here's the answer, American jobs are the currency these corrupt bastard politicians spend. They trade away American jobs to buy cooperation on foreign policy. They trade American jobs to repay donors and special interests. That's why the poor and middle class take it up the ass every time they cut a 'free' trade deal. That's why when China dumps products or commodities into US markets, when they steal our intellectual property, to intentionally bankrupt the US businesses the politicians sit on their hands and do nothing.

Do you understand??

Trust us.

Never again

Amen to that, politicians speak with forked tongue, let's open the ENTIRE treaty up to independent analysis and voter review and then we can talk about whether or not it makes sense to move forward.

They trade away American jobs to buy cooperation on foreign policy..

if so provide evidence or admit as a liberal you too lack the IQ to be here. Thanks

I'm a hard core steely eyed conservative you must be new around here. During the Reagan administration government routinely traded American jobs to China for their cooperation on foreign policy. Every administration since has done the same. Wake up and pay attention. It amazes me that your average American is ignorant of just how corrupt DC has become.

Forum List

Back