Toyota Develops New Electric Car Battery(1000km per charge)

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
The Chosunilbo ^ | 10/24/11 | The Chosunilbo

The Chosun Ilbo (English Edition): Daily News from Korea - Toyota Develops New Electric Car Battery
Toyota Motor has developed a secondary electric car battery that can last up to 1,000 km per charge, the Nihon Keizai Shimbun reported Monday. That is five times the energy storage capacity of existing batteries.

Toyota came up with the prototype in collaboration with the Tokyo Institute of Technology and the High Energy Accelerator Research Organization. The new battery is based on a solid core and its simplified structure means it does not require fire-retardant materials. It eliminates the disadvantages of lithium-ion batteries, which are based on an easily heatable and combustible liquid core.

Toyota plans to improve the battery and commercialize it sometime in...

(Excerpt) Read more at english.chosun.com ...

The Chosunilbo ^ | 10/24/11 | The Chosunilbo

The Chosun Ilbo (English Edition): Daily News from Korea - Toyota Develops New Electric Car Battery
Toyota Motor has developed a secondary electric car battery that can last up to 1,000 km per charge, the Nihon Keizai Shimbun reported Monday. That is five times the energy storage capacity of existing batteries.

Toyota came up with the prototype in collaboration with the Tokyo Institute of Technology and the High Energy Accelerator Research Organization. The new battery is based on a solid core and its simplified structure means it does not require fire-retardant materials. It eliminates the disadvantages of lithium-ion batteries, which are based on an easily heatable and combustible liquid core.

Toyota plans to improve the battery and commercialize it sometime in...

(Excerpt) Read more at english.chosun.com ...

THe Japanese are leadeing the way in this (no surprise) and the Americans lagging as usual (again, no surprise). Nissan has the Leaf, Mistubishi has the "i" and now Toyota is moving forward.
I'm not someone who is absolutely convinced of the Global Warming thing but I'd love to see this trend continue just so we could bankrupt or at least diminish the power OPEC holds over the world.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos
You bring the cost of the batteries down, and have a 600 mile range per charge, people are going to very much want to buy the cars. Particularly as the price of solar is coming down at the same time.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos
LOL. And the Toyota Prius drew this same kind of nonsense, until it became a strong seller and profitable item for Toyota.

But hang onto your buggy whip stock, you know the horse drawn buggy is going to make a comeback.

You want jobs? The Level Field Institute and http://www.usmessageboard.com/economy/128477-did-obama-save-gm-3.html#post2607852

The Japanese copied from America, that they are doing well says more about America today than it does about Japan. Americans fluck each other every chance they get, consider the conservatives saying they won't buy GM because they got help. Toyota gets constant help from their government and from other business units.

"In corporate culture, keiretsu refers to a uniquely Japanese form of corporate organization. A keiretsu is a grouping or family of affiliated companies that form a tight-knit alliance to work toward each other's mutual success. The keiretsu system is also based on an intimate partnership between government and businesses. It can best be understood as the intricate web of relationships that links banks, manufacturers, suppliers, and distributors with the Japanese government."

Americans also want cheap and hate the fact union workers make decent money and have benefits. Americans want all other Americans to earn Walmart wages, except themselves, of course. Both our current cars are American, made in America. They are quality cars but more expensive than Toyota whose cars actually killed drivers recently, but that is forgotten in the worship of Japan, Korea, and Germany. This attitude bewilders me.

"These ironclad corporate alliances have caused much debate and have been called "government-sponsored cartels." While some think keiretsu are a menace to trade, others see them as a model for change. Features common to most keiretsu include "main bank," stable shareholding, and seconded directors. Some keiretsu concepts have no American parallel such as "general trading company." The keiretsu system is one of the profound differences between Japanese and US business structures." What is keiretsu? - Definition from Whatis.com

Last edited:
The article doesn't say squat about technical details. There are parameters like WEIGHT and size and charge rate that matter here. I could just lash 8 Nissan Leaf batteries together and make the claim in that article.

All well and good but until people want to buy the things...

Want to buy the things? The Volt is sold out at every dealership months in advance. Try getting a dollar off the price of a Leaf. Even the $200K Tesla has a waiting list that is hard to even get on. Where have you been?

Want to buy the things? The Volt is sold out at every dealership months in advance. Try getting a dollar off the price of a Leaf. Even the $200K Tesla has a waiting list that is hard to even get on. Where have you been?

My dealership has 3. One as a dedicated demo, and 2 available to sell me. While claiming popularity is undoubtedly what GM wants everyone to believe, your statement is incorrect.

Toyota develops prototype battery with 5x the range @ 1/5 th the cost | Electric Vehicle News

Toyota and its partners earlier this year published a paper in the journal Nature describing the development of a lithium superionic conductor Li10GeP2S12 that has a new three-dimensional framework structure. The new material exhibits an extremely high lithium ionic conductivity at room temperature, the highest conductivity achieved in a solid electrolyte, exceeding even those of liquid organic electrolytes.

The new solid-state battery electrolyte has many advantages in terms of device fabrication, stability, safety and excellent electrochemical properties.

Toyota plans to improve the battery and commercialize it sometime in 2015 to 2020.

Japan’s New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization predicted it will be possible to cut the battery production cost to one-fifth to one-tenth the current level by 2020

As always read the fine print. Toyota has a prototype that has such a limited possibility of development that it's estimated production is years from now if at all. Ho hum.

As always read the fine print. Toyota has a prototype that has such a limited possibility of development that it's estimated production is years from now if at all. Ho hum.

Sounds like the ads for, oh, gasoline a few years back. Look how that turned out!

All things which change the world start out small. Batteries are one of the next big things, and have barely gotten started as far as I'm concerned. Danged oil and gas industry has kept original thinkers and scientists all to themselves developing better and better ways to stop last centuries peak oil scares. But now that the car companies are getting involved in battery development, abandoning the oil companies as it were, watch out!

My dealership has 3. One as a dedicated demo, and 2 available to sell me. While claiming popularity is undoubtedly what GM wants everyone to believe, your statement is incorrect.

Where the h ell are you?

The article doesn't say squat about technical details. There are parameters like WEIGHT and size and charge rate that matter here. I could just lash 8 Nissan Leaf batteries together and make the claim in that article.

Flacaltenn, the technology is already there to build cost-effective electric powerplants, but NOBODY has the courage to build them because it would turn the auto manufacturers upside down and cause a lot of labor union "problems".

It would result in massive layoffs in the auto industry, and it would make the USA energy independent. The politicians don't want ANY of those things to happen, even though they say the opposite.

After 50 years of trying to produce a viable electric vehicle, we are barely ahead of the technology that is used to produce GOLF CARTS. It's disgraceful.

Our government will spend billions of dollars of borrowed money so a bunch of phoney "alternative energy" companies can develop and produce a bunch of inferior junk, then go bankrupt, but they won't guarantee loans to LEGITIMATE startup companies who possess the knowledge and ability to produce viable and legitimate electric powerplants that can ALMOST reproduce the ever-elusive theory of "perpetual motion".

This technology is there. That's all I will say.

Last edited:
Four years down the road is within normal development cycles for cars.

Still doesnt' change the fact that the energy has to come from somewhere. Nuke, oil or coal. It can hold a charge, but where does that charge come from.

And if we do go to electric, it is going to change how apartment houses have to be configured. Be interesting to see how the charging is done for apartment dwellers.

Where the h ell are you?

Denver, Colorado. I visited two dealerships looking for Volts, one dealership had the two I mentioned for sale, the other dealership had already sold one of their two to a local celebrity and had one for sale. Plus a dedicated demo for people to drive.

Flacaltenn, the technology is already there to build cost-effective electric powerplants, but NOBODY has the courage to build them because it would turn the auto manufacturers upside down and cause a lot of labor union "problems".

It would result in massive layoffs in the auto industry, and it would make the USA energy independent. The politicians don't want ANY of those things to happen, even though they say the opposite.

After 50 years of trying to produce a viable electric vehicle, we are barely ahead of the technology that is used to produce GOLF CARTS. It's disgraceful.

Our government will spend billions of dollars of borrowed money so a bunch of phoney "alternative energy" companies can develop and produce a bunch of inferior junk, then go bankrupt, but they won't guarantee loans to LEGITIMATE startup companies who possess the knowledge and ability to produce viable and legitimate electric powerplants that can ALMOST reproduce the ever-elusive theory of "perpetual motion".

This technology is there. That's all I will say.

Gee I'd LOVE to invoke govt and corporate conspiracies as the reason why the Volt only has 70 mile range and takes 8 hours to charge. Even with 220V 40A service -- it charges at the equivalent of 10mi/hr. But I'm an engineer/scientist who recognizes that storing electricity in an energy dense container is a hard problem.

It IS disgraceful.. But there is difference between what CAN be done and what can be done with a price tag, safety margin, reliability and customer acceptance in the marketplace. Does no good to announce or hint at breakthrus that require 14 oz of gold/platinum to make or takes 2 days to charge.

Last edited:
Gee I'd LOVE to invoke govt and corporate conspiracies as the reason why the Volt only has 70 mile range and takes 8 hours to charge. Even with 220V 40A service -- it charges at the equivalent of 10mi/hr. But I'm an engineer/scientist who recognizes that storing electricity in an energy dense container is a hard problem.

It IS disgraceful.. But there is difference between what CAN be done and what can be done with a price tag, safety margin, reliability and customer acceptance in the marketplace. Does no good to announce or hint at breakthrus that require 14 oz of gold/platinum to make or takes 2 days to charge.

The Volt is a wonderful example of engineering. They built an EV with 40 miles of range that feels really, really like a damn regular car. Certainly won't scare anyone off who has ever driven a regular automobile.

Now pitch that bitch in the trash and give me 4 electric motors, one hooked to each wheel, up the voltage available, let me use more of the battery capacity when I need to, shorten the range if you have to but make sure I can burn down the quarter mile in 9 seconds and that baby will FLY off showroom floors.

Saving the world from this peak oil nonsense, or save the world feelings in general, by making a car comfortable to granny ain't where it is at! Roasting Corvettes at stoplights is what my wife wants, saving the world is just secondary in all of this.

Forum List

Back