Toyota decides against building plant in Mexico and will instead build it in America with Mazda

AsianTrumpSupporter

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2017
Democratic People's Republique de Californie
Toyota, Mazda plan $1.6 billion US plant, to partner in EVs

TOKYO (AP) — Japanese automakers Toyota Motor Corp. and Mazda Motor Corp. plan to spend $1.6 billion to jointly build auto manufacturing plant in the U.S. — a move that will create up to 4,000 jobs, both sides said Friday.

The plant will have an annual production capacity of about 300,000 vehicles, and will produce Toyota Corollas as well as a new Mazda crossover vehicle for the North American market.

Toyota wouldn't say where the plant would be built. But because the new plant will build the Corolla, chances are it will be located near Toyota's current Corolla plant in Mississippi to be close to parts supply companies. The companies expect the plant to begin operations by 2021.

Toyota said it changed its plan to make Corollas at a plant in Guanajuato, Mexico, now under construction, after reassessing the market. Instead it will produce Tacoma pickups there, Toyota President Akio Toyoda said.

President Donald Trump had criticized Toyota and other automakers for taking auto production and jobs to Mexico, saying vehicles for the U.S. market should be built by U.S. workers. Toyoda denied that Trump's views influenced his decision.

Trump welcomed the announcement in a tweet: "Toyota & Mazda to build a new $1.6B plant here in the U.S.A. and create 4K new American jobs. A great investment in American manufacturing!"...

Trump warned we'd win so much that we'd get tired of winning. Well, I'm not tired yet! :)

Great, electric cars!!!

Proof we do not need to lower taxes or corp tax. How wonderful. :lol: Green as well and what is that about the Paris Accord, too bad Green is here to stay.

Any bets on how much coverage CNN gives this great news? If they do manage to give it 90 seconds or so, there will be multiple BUTs followed by the usual Libspinnerage.

Great, electric cars!!!

Proof we do not need to lower taxes or corp tax. How wonderful. :lol: Green as well and what is that about the Paris Accord, too bad Green is here to stay.

What green? How do you think they make that electricity for those cars anyway?

Any bets on how much coverage CNN gives this great news? If they do manage to give it 90 seconds or so, there will be multiple BUTs followed by the usual Libspinnerage.

Well color me surprised! :shock: ;)

With NAFTA does the Chicken Tax not apply to the Tacoma trucks to be made in Mexico, or will those trucks not be imported to the USA? I'll need to check into this more.
Chicken tax, just another reason why I rank LBJ as our worst president.

How Ford avoided the Chicken tax on trucks made in Turkey:

Ford imported all of its first generation Transit Connect models as passenger vehicles by including rear windows, rear seats, and rear seatbelts.

The vehicles are exported from Turkey, arrive in Baltimore, and are converted back into light trucks at [an American] facility by replacing the rear windows with metal panels and removing the rear seats and seatbelts. The removed parts are not shipped back to Turkey for reuse, but shredded and recycled in Ohio.

The process costs Ford hundreds of dollars per van but saves thousands in taxes."
Chicken Tax Makes Trucks Expensive and Unavailable | Marco den Ouden

Great, electric cars!!!

What green? How do you think they make that electricity for those cars anyway?

Batteries and electricity powered by solar and wind.

Hate to tell you, but there's not many of those around. And what about the gird? When it gets really hot outside, our electric companies warn us that an over usage of our AC's could cause a rolling blackout. Would we then have to turn off our AC and suffer so we could continue to charge our electric cars?

More Trump winning. Good on em. :thup:

Did you read about they are building electric cars. China also put electric buses in CA. He is bringing us back in time, while other countries are going green. He is regressive instead of progressive.

Did you read about they are building electric cars. China also put electric buses in CA. He is bringing us back in time, while other countries are going green. He is regressive instead of progressive.

Presidents don't make people go green. People make that choice on their own.

I have no problem with electric cars. I do have a problem with government subsidies for electric cars or being forced to drive them.

I have no problem with electric cars. I do have a problem with government subsidies for electric cars or being forced to drive them.

Really all companies get tax breaks and subsidies. They are the biggest mooches off of Fed and State governments. States are giving them huge tax breaks and the bigger the corp the more they get. That is us paying them to give us jobs.

Really all companies get tax breaks and subsidies. They are the biggest mooches off of Fed and State governments. States are giving them huge tax breaks and the bigger the corp the more they get. That is us paying them to give us jobs.

No, states and cities give abatements because it's an investment for their area. Hundreds or thousands of jobs, property tax collections, attracting other businesses to the area. It's a win-win which is why they compete against each other using tax abatements.

Government giving subsidies for electric cars is not an investment--it's a political agenda and a waste of taxpayer money. No matter what a city or state gives a business, the city or state still benefits greatly.

New Topics

Forum List

Back