Tough desert life wins Bedouin teen fairy tale award

P F Tinmore

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
photo_1345124574079-2-0.jpg

It was the trauma of seeing Israeli troops raze homes in the Bedouin community where she lives that inspired 14-year-old Salha Hamadin to write an award-winning fairy tale.

Earlier this year, Salha, who comes from an impoverished Palestinian Bedouin community near Jerusalem, was crowned winner of the teenage category of the Hans Christian Andersen Fairy Tale Bay competition, which saw 1,200 entries from around the world by youngsters aged 11 to 16.

Called "Hantush," the story reflects the tough realities of daily life in the occupied West Bank, and starts when an army bulldozer comes to demolish her family home, prompting Salha to call on her pet lamb Hantush to take her away.

Tough desert life wins Bedouin teen fairy tale award - Yahoo! News

"The reality I live in inspired me to write this story," Salha told AFP on the barren rocky hillside known as Wadi Abu Hindi.

"I used to always think and dream about living a better life here."

Salha and her family are members of the Jahalin Bedouin community who live in Area C of the West Bank, which is under full Israeli military and civilian control.

Around 300 Bedouin live in Wadi Abu Hindi which is made up of tin shacks and where there is no running water or electricity.

"The reality I live in inspired me to write this story," Salha told AFP on the barren rocky hillside known as Wadi Abu Hindi.

Salha and her family are members of the Jahalin Bedouin community who live in Area C of the West Bank, which is under full Israeli military and civilian control.

Around 300 Bedouin live in Wadi Abu Hindi which is made up of tin shacks and where there is no running water or electricity.

almost all BEDOUIN thruout the islamic world live in tents or shacks with no running water or electricity -----in fact the majority of muslims in the world share that standard of living. It is not so bad ------I know lots of israeli jews who lived a similar lifestyle in the 1930s, 40s and 50s A current friend of mine-----a young woman in her 30s shared that ind of life style when she lived in the land of her birth GUYANA

Before 1967 ie before Israel provided running water and eletricity to that Gaza-----just about all Gazans lacked running water and electricity You guys should get out and meet people------I have known LOTS of people from India who grew up in similar conditions -----both muslims and hindus. There are people in OIL rich saudi arabia without running water and electricity

almost all BEDOUIN thruout the islamic world live in tents or shacks with no running water or electricity -----in fact the majority of muslims in the world share that standard of living. It is not so bad ------I know lots of israeli jews who lived a similar lifestyle in the 1930s, 40s and 50s A current friend of mine-----a young woman in her 30s shared that ind of life style when she lived in the land of her birth GUYANA

Before 1967 ie before Israel provided running water and eletricity to that Gaza-----just about all Gazans lacked running water and electricity You guys should get out and meet people------I have known LOTS of people from India who grew up in similar conditions -----both muslims and hindus. There are people in OIL rich saudi arabia without running water and electricity

There are people in OIL rich saudi arabia without running water and electricity

There are people in the US who have no running water and electricity.

Do you have a point?

Forum List

Back