Tossed Between Marines and Army

I grew up during the time when an able bodied middle class man could count on being drafted. I don't have a problem with the Army but it was considered to be the place you would go if you had no other choice. I intended to enlist in the Navy but the Navy recruiter was out to lunch and the Marine Corps recruiter wasn't. Next thing you know I was at Parris Island. The way my life was drifting it turned out to be the best decision I would ever make. Fast forward and every Police Lieutenant on my job including myself was a former Marine. It ain't all about killing. It's about becoming a man in a world of sissies and video games.

Another question, If you go the the Army and obtain your MOS of 11B, how likely is it that you have a chance to go to ranger school?

Do yourself a favor.

Finish high school, go to college and then go in as an officer.

What an awesome response. There are lots of programs where the military services will help you go to college with the contractual agreement of serving afterwards.

Okay, it's clear where my allegiance lies from my avatar.

ALL branches of the uniformed services can provide challenges. IMHO, the most challenging of all is the Coast Guard. They put their lives on the line on a daily basis and obtain some awesome skills.

As you are still young, concentrate on your grades and the courses you take.

Consider applying for one of the service academies. Being a Marine office is about as challenging as one can get.

If I had it all over to do again, I woulda got better grades and applies to the Coast Guard Academy as one of my schoolmates did.

However, just because you enlist does not mean that you cannot work your way up the ladder. Warrant Officers have great technical skills and are selected from the ranks.

Anyhow, YOU know what YOU want. Good luck in whatever you decide.

I grew up during the time when an able bodied middle class man could count on being drafted. I don't have a problem with the Army but it was considered to be the place you would go if you had no other choice. I intended to enlist in the Navy but the Navy recruiter was out to lunch and the Marine Corps recruiter wasn't. Next thing you know I was at Parris Island. The way my life was drifting it turned out to be the best decision I would ever make. Fast forward and every Police Lieutenant on my job including myself was a former Marine. It ain't all about killing. It's about becoming a man in a world of sissies and video games.
The Marines are the gheyest thing the Navy ever met...

In the book "Making the Corps" Ricks quotes a funny saying that was going around the Pentagon at the time. "Each branch of the service is told to secure a building. The Marines want to destroy it, the Army wants to build a defensive perimeter around it, the Navy wants to paint it and the Air Force wants to lease it."

Another question, If you go the the Army and obtain your MOS of 11B, how likely is it that you have a chance to go to ranger school?

Ask an Army Recruiter about an Option 40 contract if your serious.
What about a 4 year enlistment to the Marine Corps and if im not sure what i like about it do i have a chance to crossover to the Army with option 40? I have read multiple articles about it and im not sure if anything has changed

Ask an Army Recruiter about an Option 40 contract if your serious.
What about a 4 year enlistment to the Marine Corps and if im not sure what i like about it do i have a chance to crossover to the Army with option 40? I have read multiple articles about it and im not sure if anything has changed

Not a fortune teller, can't answer that....not sure recruiters would even try to get it right..

Try this?

Special Forces - Texas Army National Guard

Special Forces Recruiting 903‐701‐5207

Just Do It!...... swooosh

The Army might guarantee a chance at a technical school right out of boot camp for a recruit who has a particular skill but I doubt if any branch of the Service guarantees a shot at an elite combat unit like Rangers or Seals or Force Recon until you have a couple of years under your belt.

My husband was a Marine, joined in 1970 and went to VN. He's paid for it since....it wasn't until recently that he was able to cope with things and not think everyone was out to get him.

My son was in the National Guard before 9/11...joined the Army after 9/11. He was lucky, he got stationed at Ft Campbell with the 101st Airborne, his first choice because that' what his grandfather was in during WWII. He went to Iraq with them twice. In 2006 they spent a year in Baghdad (worst year I ever went through!). Went to Iraq again for 15 mo in 2010. He tried to get into SF several times....he would get pretty far but just didn't make it. He's now in Psy Ops...spent the winter of 2013/14 in Afghanistan. It's taken quite a toll on him. If it weren't that he had only 8 yrs to retire, he'd be out. He likes his job, but it's very hard if you have a family. He's been to countries he never thought he'd see. He's also blessed with a wife that takes over when he's gone. He doesn't have to worry about what's going on at home. If you feel you want to start a family anytime, make sure she's a strong person....sometimes that life isn't for everyone.

I had the same choice whether to join the Army or the Marines in the late 60s (Uncle Sam doesn't want you, Uncle Sam already has you) and I picked.........wait for it..........The Air Force.

There is a cost and commitment with either choice. Think long and hard before you make your decision, it will define your life.

There is a cost and commitment with either choice. Think long and hard before you make your decision, it will define your life.

Correctamundo. You can get the G.I. Bill and pretty good training either way you go and you might get to say "Go-Army" in your later years (I can't imagine saying go-Air force) but you ain't never gonna get to say "Semper Fi" unless you are one of us. Ain't it about time to make the decision or are you pulling are legs?

Correctamundo. You can get the G.I. Bill and pretty good training either way you go and you might get to say "Go-Army" in your later years (I can't imagine saying go-Air force) but you ain't never gonna get to say "Semper Fi" unless you are one of us. Ain't it about time to make the decision or are you pulling are legs?

I think the whole OP was BS.

Forum List

Back