Torvalds: I completely dismissed all the anti-Microsoft stuff

He is wrong.
Yep some random guy on the internets just said Linus Trovalds is wrong about something to do with Linux.

Linus is an idealist, obviously. And that means he tends to think of things in their idealistic circumstances. That Microsoft is just a friendly company that just wants to create products to serve people.
Yeah right.
That is naive at best, idiotic at worst.
Microsoft is OBVIOUSLY out for Microsoft. And what Microsoft wants is to find the holy grail of a Linux product... can't charge for the kernel or the OS...but you can charge for a service or product that uses that OS. Microsoft has thrown in the towel (finally) in thinking they can make a device to compete with Android/Apple. They have repeatedly failed miserably trying and have lost 100's $millions in the process. So - if you can't beat em' join em'.
And by join em' - what I really mean is control them. Microsoft wants to find a way to monetize Linux for their benefit. Period.

He is wrong.
Yep some random guy on the internets just said Linus Trovalds is wrong about something to do with Linux.

Linus is an idealist, obviously. And that means he tends to think of things in their idealistic circumstances. That Microsoft is just a friendly company that just wants to create products to serve people.
Yeah right.
That is naive at best, idiotic at worst.
Microsoft is OBVIOUSLY out for Microsoft. And what Microsoft wants is to find the holy grail of a Linux product... can't charge for the kernel or the OS...but you can charge for a service or product that uses that OS. Microsoft has thrown in the towel (finally) in thinking they can make a device to compete with Android/Apple. They have repeatedly failed miserably trying and have lost 100's $millions in the process. So - if you can't beat em' join em'.
And by join em' - what I really mean is control them. Microsoft wants to find a way to monetize Linux for their benefit. Period.
The problem with that is the idea that Microsoft wants to control Linux, it can't, that's impossible with the way open source is set up. If Microsoft really wanted to control Linux they would go after the systems that use Linux and even then their control would be severely restricted due to the nature of open source.
It's entirely possible that Microsoft is finally waking up to this reality and hopefully will eventually lose their arrogance and start listening even more to the end users. They already have started listening with things like Cortana falling waaaaaaaaay below desired expectation and is slowly being regulated to an optional use program. You can now uninstall Xbox and many of the rest of the bloatware they included in 10, things that couldn't be uninstalled before.
Granted Microsoft is a business and will always look for ways to monetize anything they can but that's what businesses do so I don't hold that against them, what I don't like is some of the methods the use but that's just me. It's possible they've finally figured out they got into the cell phone market far too late and that people don't want a one size fits all OS for all their devices. Maybe they've figure out that people want what they want and that they have to cater to that or else........ We'll see. Remember, the Microsoft old guard is gone, there's a whole new batch of people that don't have the same old "destroy the opposition" mindset that once permeated not only Microsoft but pretty much every business.

Forum List

Back