Torture poll

Do you feel captured American troops should be subjected to torture?

• Yes

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • No

Votes: 28 84.8%

• Total voters

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
Do you feel captured American troops should be subjected to torture if the enemy feels they have information on future military actions that would help them save the lives of their countrymen?

It is said that "all's fair in love and war". What you really want to know is how we feel about the practice in general, considering the continuing and repeated news cycles on the issue. So, why didn't you just ask?

The former military people here can correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been led to understand that our troops are also trained to withstand interrogation techniques, some of which has been defined as torture. When I hear them whining about it (the training or the use of worse practices than the U.S. uses), I'll be better prepared to give a response to the poll question.

If the people of this country are willing to accept that their government has the right to torture suspects in their custody, and ignore international laws and treaties as well as domestic laws banning torture, there is no reason for any other nation, state, or faction to comply with these laws either.
In the future any American held captive outside of this country can be questioned by those claiming authority using any interrogation technique they deem necessary. The term “those in authority” will be interpreted as those claiming jurisdiction in the location at the time of the interrogation.

don't be an idiot.

Please, what's so idiotic about it? If the right wing-nut talking heads, the other apologists and slavish followers of the late, unlamented Bush administration have no compunction against torturing POW's and others in US custody, are they willing to see the same done to our troops who may be captured? Why do they hate our troops?

It is said that "all's fair in love and war". What you really want to know is how we feel about the practice in general, considering the continuing and repeated news cycles on the issue. So, why didn't you just ask?

The former military people here can correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been led to understand that our troops are also trained to withstand interrogation techniques, some of which has been defined as torture. When I hear them whining about it (the training or the use of worse practices than the U.S. uses), I'll be better prepared to give a response to the poll question.

SERE school IS NOT the same as being held indefinitely and tortured on a daily basis.

If the people of this country are willing to accept that their government has the right to torture suspects in their custody, and ignore international laws and treaties as well as domestic laws banning torture, there is no reason for any other nation, state, or faction to comply with these laws either.
In the future any American held captive outside of this country can be questioned by those claiming authority using any interrogation technique they deem necessary. The term “those in authority” will be interpreted as those claiming jurisdiction in the location at the time of the interrogation.

That pretty much sums it up. Furthermore, the Obama administration and the DOJ under US law and treaty obligation are required to investigate and, if warranted, prosecute of ALL those involved.

the enhanced interrogation techniques that were outlined in the New York times were NOT torture.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/04/17/us/politics/20090417-interrogation-techniques.html

The Ten techniques are as follows:

Sleep Deprivation: If keeping people awake was torture, then I should sue all my teachers who woke me up during class

Nudity: So now embarrassment is torture?

Dietary Manipulation: If the feeding of nutritionally complete tasteless meals is torture then every school cafeteria worker in the US would be in jail.

Abdominal Slap: My strength coach in High School used to drop medicine ball on our stomachs, I wished he would have just slapped my tummy with an open hand.

Attention Grasp: Oh my god, grabbing someone by the shirt is torture!

Facial Slap: Any guy can tell you a slap across the face, while it stings, is no big deal

Facial Hold: placing an open hand on either side of the face, making sure not to poke the person in the eye. Oh my that's just horrible!

Wall Standing: Yeah and? Shit we did more painful things at football practice

Water Dousing: Cold potable water from a hose splashed on the chest. Come on.

Stress Positions: Designed not to inflict pain by contorting or twisting joints but rather to inflict discomfort and muscle fatigue.

Cramped Confinement: Small dark place, limited to 2 hours. So take a nap.

Confinement with Insects: The person must be told a non stinging,non biting non toxic bug will be placed in the room with him. Those of you who live in New York and have ever had a cockroach in your room were being tortured all this time and you didn't even know it.

Walling: Being bounced of a flexible wall while being provided neck and back support to prevent whip lash. YAWN.

Now here's the big one

Water Boarding: Up to 40 seconds but more like 20 seconds of feeling like you're drowning. Not too bad compared to falling 80 stories amidst a mass of crumbling concrete, twisted hot steel and fire.

Last edited:

Meanwhile Muslim Terrorists routinely just MURDER captives, usually by beheading them. But hey that is JUST fine with you dumb asses. Remind me how international law applies to none State terrorists. I saw in the future to solve this problem we just announce all captured Terrorists will be tried for Treason by the Military ( not civilian) and hanged if convicted with only one appeal. I mean they belong to no country so we will just assume they are ours after capturing them, then since they were under arms at the time we will assume they were OUR military and since they were attacking us, TREASON applies.

There ya go, they get all the rights of any US Military personnel. Happy now?

The Liberal dumb asses define it as embarrassment or discomfort of any kind. No loud music, no yelling or curse words, no touching, no keeping them awake, no scaring them into talking with absolut6ely no chance they will be harmed.

Well until one of their liberal cities goes up, then they will turn into a howling mob and hang people.

The Liberal dumb asses define it as embarrassment or discomfort of any kind. No loud music, no yelling or curse words, no touching, no keeping them awake, no scaring them into talking with absolut6ely no chance they will be harmed.

Well until one of their liberal cities goes up, then they will turn into a howling mob and hang people.

The thread seems to be designed to promote demonization of those whose job it was to protect us. The author should properly define torture and let us know what the official state of that definition was when waterboarding was in use. Since it does not cause bodily harm it would definitively live in the area of the fine line.

The New United States' Policies and Procedures
Manual on Interrogation and Intelligence Gathering

All policies and procedures in this memo must be followed to the letter. Violation of any of the following procedures will result in incarceration.

All persons of foreign citizenship to be questioned by any agent of the United States of America must first presented with a written invitation to participate in the investigatory process.

If the invitation is accepted, the participant shall be visited by a hospitality party comprised of representative of a United State's agency, for example the CIA or FBI, and one human rights official from every other country on the planet.

All members of the hospitality party and our invitee will be conveyed by limousine, not military or otherwise identifiably government vehicles so as not to be stigmatized by being perceived as a criminal.

If conveyance out of the invitee's home country is necessary, transportation will be by private jet and all efforts will be made to ensure the comfort of the invitee. A personal staff, including, 25 attorneys, a personal secretary, chef, physician, masseuse, and personal trainer will be provided and will be on call 24 hours a day.

The invitee will be held in suite at a 5 star resort with no less than 5 rooms and a hot tub.

The interrogation schedule will be coordinated with the invitee's personal secretary and all possible efforts will be made to accommodate the invitee's needs and wants.

All questions asked by an agent of the United States must begin with "Please, Esteemed and Honorable, Sir" And the invitee must be thanked at least 5 times for any response to a question.

The invitee can at any time call a temporary halt or an indefinite delay to all interrogation. Until such time as the invite wishes to resume interrogation, every effort humanly possible will be made to ensure his comfort and feeling of safety and well being.

Any variation from this procedure by an agent of the United States will result in an immediate conviction sans trial on charges of violation of the civil rights of and hate crimes toward the invitee and the violator will be summarily executed.

Last edited:
the enhanced interrogation techniques that were outlined in the New York times were NOT torture.

Interrogation Techniques - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com

The Ten techniques are as follows:

Sleep Deprivation: If keeping people awake was torture, then I should sue all my teachers who woke me up during class

Nudity: So now embarrassment is torture?

Dietary Manipulation: If the feeding of nutritionally complete tasteless meals is torture then every school cafeteria worker in the US would be in jail.

Abdominal Slap: My strength coach in High School used to drop medicine ball on our stomachs, I wished he would have just slapped my tummy with an open hand.

Attention Grasp: Oh my god, grabbing someone by the shirt is torture!

Facial Slap: Any guy can tell you a slap across the face, while it stings, is no big deal

Facial Hold: placing an open hand on either side of the face, making sure not to poke the person in the eye. Oh my that's just horrible!

Wall Standing: Yeah and? Shit we did more painful things at football practice

Water Dousing: Cold potable water from a hose splashed on the chest. Come on.

Stress Positions: Designed not to inflict pain by contorting or twisting joints but rather to inflict discomfort and muscle fatigue.

Cramped Confinement: Small dark place, limited to 2 hours. So take a nap.

Confinement with Insects: The person must be told a non stinging,non biting non toxic bug will be placed in the room with him. Those of you who live in New York and have ever had a cockroach in your room were being tortured all this time and you didn't even know it.

Walling: Being bounced of a flexible wall while being provided neck and back support to prevent whip lash. YAWN.

Now here's the big one

Water Boarding: Up to 40 seconds but more like 20 seconds of feeling like you're drowning. Not too bad compared to falling 80 stories amidst a mass of crumbling concrete, twisted hot steel and fire.

This pretty much describes prison!!! So its ok to do it to our own people, but not ones that kill innocent people for religious reasons ... oh wait that US prisons again. That damn double talkin, teleprompter reading idiot at the pulpit has me all confused.

Define torture

Excellent suggestion!

Merriam-Webster:
The infliction of intense pain (as from burning, crushing, or wounding) to punish, coerce, or afford sadistic pleasure.

Interesting that torture can be considered pleasurable....

Forum List

Back