Torture and Religion

aztech

Breath of Fresh Air
Nov 2, 2008
So, there has been a lot of talk in the last few days on Torture...is it right or wrong? What is it? etc.

I have been swayed and I can see justifications for it....I do. I have concerns on when they decide to use it, because there have been cases of innocent people at Gitmo (those Brits that were there) where they were eventually shown to be innocent and just in the wrong place and the wrong time

However, I was wondering...from all the various religions represented on this board...what does the bible say about torture and the treatment of your enemies in general?

And please, I am not having a go at anyone...I am actually curious what it says.

So, there has been a lot of talk in the last few days on Torture...is it right or wrong? What is it? etc.

I have been swayed and I can see justifications for it....I do. I have concerns on when they decide to use it, because there have been cases of innocent people at Gitmo (those Brits that were there) where they were eventually shown to be innocent and just in the wrong place and the wrong time

However, I was wondering...from all the various religions represented on this board...what does the bible say about torture and the treatment of your enemies in general?

And please, I am not having a go at anyone...I am actually curious what it says.

There are so many interpretations and rationalizations that people, churches, and denominations use to excuse what they like. Take Matthew 5. pacifists use it to not get involved. Others argue that it is Biblically justified to kill would-be attackers to that they do not attack innocent people. You can argue it any which way that you like. There are so many rules and admonitions in the Bible. Some of them seem to be absurd today. There is even advice that you should not give aid to young widows. By best advice is for you to think for yourself. Don’t pass the buck to some ancient alleged authority to excuse what you think or do.

Forum List

Back