Torture and College Life

You miss the point.

It's not his opinion that counts in this thread: it's mine.
My point in bringing him up has been to point out that your characterization of people who share his opinion is false. It's something of a side issue, I admit, but you've been consistently and unfairly denigrating the other side of the argument.In some of your examples, you may as well be comparing a person clipping their fingernails with a person having their fingernails pulled out. Magnitude matters.to be exact, you said "To draw a fine line, I believe that those who call the enhanced interrogation techniques 'torture' fall into one of two camps: either the 'Blame America First' camp or those who are so feminized that they don't recognize the threat, or are unable to respond to it.

You are perfectly free to disagree."
Now, don't claim that I am inundating you with extaneous material, but in an attempt to further indicate the way I see it, consider Michael Scheuer's comment:
""So if the above worst-case scenario ever comes to pass, Americans will have at least two things from which to take solace, even after the loss of major cities and tens of thousands of countrymen. First, they will know that their president believes that those losses are a small price to pay for stopping interrogations and making foreign peoples like us more. And second, they will see Osama bin Laden's shy smile turn into a calm and beautiful God-is-Great grin."
Bill Bennett: Quotes And Statements

This is my main guy. He knows the enemy, and he asks you if stopping interrogations is worth the lives of "thousands of countrymen."

Would you care to answer?

If we focus on this worst case scenario, anything less than that becomes morally possible. Why not find one of KSM's children, bring him in and slowly torture him to death in front of him, at that point? Where do you draw the line? Is one mutilated child worth thousands of countrymen? is a dozen? At what point, by that logic, does the tradeoff become unacceptable to you?

This is not about "making foreign people like us more". This is about our country's honor and dignity.

"...one of KSM's children, bring him in and slowly torture him to death in front of him, at that point? Where do you draw the line? Is one mutilated child..."

Why did you alter the argument with torturing and mutilating children?

Does this mean you lost, since you were not able to use any of the 10 techniques in the OP?

Imagine saying "get one of KSM's children and let him play with a caperpillar..." Some torture.

I believe you've made my point.

the point of the person you quoted was that in order to stop thousands of deaths, anything is acceptable. I was responding to that. If you are using that argument, then it really doesn't matter what lines you draw.

Just because the caterpillar example is on the list doesn't make it relevant. you keep bringing it up because it's one of the tamest things on the list. As I've said before, I don't object to the whole list. you can put people in rooms with a bug in them all you want. that's not what I'm talking about.

Forum List

Back