Tort Reform Failure

In MS before tort reform there were I think 2 practicing OB-GYNs in the state.

I am just going to go ahead and call bull-fucking-shit on that one.

You realize Mississippi has a medical school and that OB/GYN rotations are required for all medical students and that to have OB/GYN rotations you need OB/GYNs and residents, right?

You are right, we should totally defer to your expertise on this matter.

You're right. I overstated it. But there were still counties without an OB-GYN and the AMA declared MS a medical catastrophe.
Mississippi's Tort Reform Triumph - WSJ.com

While there is some merit to the point that low income and poor are left out in such a system because they are then held responsible for those fee's. There is nothing to preclude an attorney from accepting a client in that atmosphere on a payment basis, or any number of methods by which the attorney can be made whole.

Hi Navy.

I just wanted to comment on this part of your post. Attorneys who do personal injury and medical malpractice cases are willing to risk the costs of the action because THEY control the costs. They know how many doctors they're going to have to call, how many depositions they are going to have to pay for; what the cost of the court filings is going to be, etc. They make an assessment as to how good the plaintiff's case is an sometimes they're right and sometimes they're wrong, but that's what juries are for.

they are not ever, under any set of circumstances going to risk the cost of legal fees for a white shoe, by the hour insurance company defense firm which puts two, three and four attorneys on every aspect of the case. the loss of one case would mean the end of the firm.

why should any attorney risk that... especially when you have no idea how well your witnesses are going to perform under stress... or what rulings the court will make.

if you take a look at this link, which i also included in my post above, it's intention is to dispel the myths surrounding malpractice actions.

Powered by Google Docs

So, what if we just suspended licenses for slight mistakes?

Given the option between paying for insurance premiums to cover mistakes versus a system where licenses are suspended for mistakes, I'd doubt you find many Drs. that would favor your position.

Your system is completely draconian. If a physician makes a mistake he/she loses their livelihood for a certain period of time and maybe forever?

Who in the hell would want to go into a profession like that?

I suppose only people who are confident in their skills?

Who would wanna be a cop?
Who would wanna captain a supertanker?
Who would wanna design a bridge?
Who would wanna be a teacher?
Who wants to be an airline pilot?

AWWWWWWWwwwwwwww....POOOR FUCKING DOCTORS: any other licesed professional fucks up, and they get their liceses suspended or revolked; but phycisians are "special?"

You're saying that physicians are a little sloppy and that their work is inherently error prone, and the public had better just accept the premium on healthcare that allows this instead of holding Medical Doctors to the same standards every other professional must have.

Bullshit.

Last edited:
While there is some merit to the point that low income and poor are left out in such a system because they are then held responsible for those fee's. There is nothing to preclude an attorney from accepting a client in that atmosphere on a payment basis, or any number of methods by which the attorney can be made whole.

Hi Navy.

I just wanted to comment on this part of your post. Attorneys who do personal injury and medical malpractice cases are willing to risk the costs of the action because THEY control the costs. They know how many doctors they're going to have to call, how many depositions they are going to have to pay for; what the cost of the court filings is going to be, etc. They make an assessment as to how good the plaintiff's case is an sometimes they're right and sometimes they're wrong, but that's what juries are for.

they are not ever, under any set of circumstances going to risk the cost of legal fees for a white shoe, by the hour insurance company defense firm which puts two, three and four attorneys on every aspect of the case. the loss of one case would mean the end of the firm.

why should any attorney risk that... especially when you have no idea how well your witnesses are going to perform under stress... or what rulings the court will make.

if you take a look at this link, which i also included in my post above, it's intention is to dispel the myths surrounding malpractice actions.

Powered by Google Docs
So plaintiffs attorneys can control costs but defense attorneys cannot? Hello?
And not every defendent is a white shoe insurance firm. Many are physicians, who get named to the suit for virtually no reason other than their name appears somewhere in the chart.

Even insurance companies admit tort reform is scam:

Caps on damages for pain and suffering will significantly lower the awards paid to catastrophically injured patients. But because such truly severe cases make up a small percentage of medical malpractice claims, and because the portion of the medical liability premium dollar that pays for compensation is dwarfed by the portion that pays for defense lawyer fees, caps do not lead to lower premiums. Insurance companies and their lobbyists understand this – so don’t take our word for it, take theirs.

Premium on the Truth:

"Insurers never promised that tort reform would achieve specific savings." – American Insurance Association1

"We wouldn’t tell you or anyone that the reason to pass tort reform would be to reduce insurance rates." – Sherman Joyce, president of the American Tort Reform Association2

"Many tort reform advocates do not contend that restricting litigation will lower insurance rates, and I’ve never said that in 30 years." – Victor Schwartz, general counsel to the American Tort Reform Association3

Insurance Companies and Their Lobbyists Admit It:Caps on Damages Won’t Lower Insurance Premiums

Now I'm not a rocket scientist, but I do have this thing called common sense. But, it does seem to me that it's the insurance companies that make out like bandits with malpractice insurance. Why would they ever fess up that if you curbed tort reform, the premiums would go down? History does tell us that when we weren't a suit happy society that the malpractice rates were much much lower.

Insurance companies pay the damage awards they claim are excessive but they never claimed limiting the awards would lead to lower premium levels. Assuming lower premiums lead to lower physician fees, why should we support tort reform if the insurance companies won't lower the premiums?

"Loser pays" only disenfranchises the poor from recovering damages. Pragmatically, it means that trial lawyers would not take clients who could not cover their back end. Since trial lawyers work on contingency fees anyways, there is already an effective screening process for bad cases. A med mal lawyer is not going to take a case unless they think something is there, because they are going to suck up a huge amount of cost.

That is why 2/3rds of plaintiffs never see a dime.

Everything but the last sentence makes sense.

Presumably, in a contingency based system, all winning plaintiffs would see something. Losers wouldn't seen anything but their cases should never, or rarely, be accepted by prudent malpractice lawyers so we shouldn't see many losers.

Even insurance companies admit tort reform is scam:

Now I'm not a rocket scientist, but I do have this thing called common sense. But, it does seem to me that it's the insurance companies that make out like bandits with malpractice insurance. Why would they ever fess up that if you curbed tort reform, the premiums would go down? History does tell us that when we weren't a suit happy society that the malpractice rates were much much lower.

Insurance companies pay the damage awards they claim are excessive but they never claimed limiting the awards would lead to lower premium levels. Assuming lower premiums lead to lower physician fees, why should we support tort reform if the insurance companies won't lower the premiums?

As usual facts are not your friends here:
Here's your 'demonstration project,' Mr. President -- it's called Mississippi | Washington Examiner

once again, in order to bring a malpractice suit, something had to have happened to the patient which wasn't an anticipated risk of the procedure or treatment. that lapse had to rsult in significant DAMAGE to the person injured or no one is taking the case.

There isn't anything "suit happy" about it. As has also been pointed out, the amount of money spent by insurance companies on malpractice cases is not even a half of one percent of their overall expenses. it is a fabrication.

if it were about "high premiums", the insurance companies wouldn't be asking for pretend tort reform. it's about windfalls ...

do you think the family whose daughter's intestines were sucked out through her body because of a badly designed and constructed product should be limited in the damages they could get?

THAT is what tort reform is... giving doctors and corporations a pass and sticking it to people who were injured by them.

this is just more of the heck with human beings, caveat emptor, randian garbage that the extremists on the right love pushing.

Here's your 'demonstration project,' Mr. President -- it's called Mississippi | Washington Examiner

that isn't FACT. that's an opinion piece....ostensibly based on statements made by Haley Barbour to the heritage foundation.

the fact that you can't tell the difference explains so much.

Last edited:
and on the subject of haley barbour, just so we know whose "opinion" we're talking about:

Barbour, the former chairman of the Republican National Committee with close ties to the Bush administration, has definitely proved more successful than his maligned Louisiana counterpart, Democratic Gov. Kathleen Blanco, in one respect: lobbying Washington for cash. In fact, Barbour's ability to steer a lopsided share of Katrina money to Mississippi has touched off a firestorm of outrage in Louisiana, which suffered considerably more destruction from the storm.

A harder look at Haley Barbour's post-Katrina miracle - Salon.com

funny though... i didn't hear any of the rightwingers making noises about "equal protection" when the repubs tossed money at their former GOP boss... while ignoring the folks in NOLA.

From the article:
That is the story that Mississippi's Republican, governor, Haley Barbour, offered on Friday, speaking at the Heritage Foundation.

Haley Barbour?

Seriously.

Haley Barbour?

So plaintiffs attorneys can control costs but defense attorneys cannot? Hello?
And not every defendent is a white shoe insurance firm. Many are physicians, who get named to the suit for virtually no reason other than their name appears somewhere in the chart.

I realize that you have issues, but nooooo, plaintiffs attorneys cannot control the costs incurred by the DEFENSE. Can you control the costs of a competitor's operaton?

I don't know if you really don't understand this or if you're being intentionally obtuse.

And if someone is "named", pre-discovery, due to statute of limitations issues (remembering that doctors are already protected by abbreviated S/L's) that is dealt with early on. It's certainly not an issue the "tort reform" crowd is concerned with.

Nice changing the goal posts though. I really do understand. It must be very frustrating for you to keep totally missing the boat.

and on the subject of haley barbour, just so we know whose "opinion" we're talking about:

Barbour, the former chairman of the Republican National Committee with close ties to the Bush administration, has definitely proved more successful than his maligned Louisiana counterpart, Democratic Gov. Kathleen Blanco, in one respect: lobbying Washington for cash. In fact, Barbour's ability to steer a lopsided share of Katrina money to Mississippi has touched off a firestorm of outrage in Louisiana, which suffered considerably more destruction from the storm.

A harder look at Haley Barbour's post-Katrina miracle - Salon.com

funny though... i didn't hear any of the rightwingers making noises about "equal protection" when the repubs tossed money at their former GOP boss... while ignoring the folks in NOLA.

You realize your response is not in the least responsive to what I posted, right? It is typical of the responses I've seen from you when confronted with obvious facts: change the subject, and blame Bush.
Please post something to refute the obvious fact that tort reform worked in MS.

From the article:
That is the story that Mississippi's Republican, governor, Haley Barbour, offered on Friday, speaking at the Heritage Foundation.

Haley Barbour?

Seriously.

Haley Barbour?

Did you need spell check to get his name right?

Hi Navy.