Torn Gatrocnemus Anyone?

Tilly

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2015
Erob: Where the Sun Sets West of Phoenecia
Has anyone here ever torn their gastrocnemius muscle? To the point you heard the 'pop' and felt like someone had shot you in the calf? I did so a few days ago and it's agony. I cant even uses crutches ATM so am confined to a freaking wheelchair. Just stupidly tried to stand and it tore again :crybaby:
Wondered how long it has taken others to completely heal?

I'm not sure what a gastrocnemius muscle is, but if you tore it, you shouldn't be so rough playing with it.

No, but it is an odd place to have a muscle that's name starts with "gastro"

You guys :rolleyes-41:

image.png

Has anyone here ever torn their gastrocnemius muscle? To the point you heard the 'pop' and felt like someone had shot you in the calf? I did so a few days ago and it's agony. I cant even uses crutches ATM so am confined to a freaking wheelchair. Just stupidly tried to stand and it tore again :crybaby:

be patient----do not strain the thing whilst it is healing---
sorry-----I understand how painful it can be. Its a really
big muscle ------I am guessing ---just guessing that you
have cramping pain-----what sort of abuse have you been
inflicting on your calf muscles?? Is there CRAMPING pain?---

be patient----do not strain the thing whilst it is healing---
sorry-----I understand how painful it can be. Its a really
big muscle ------I am guessing ---just guessing that you
have cramping pain-----what sort of abuse have you been
inflicting on your calf muscles?? Is there CRAMPING pain?---
I noticed pain after a run, but stupidly ignored it. Then I thought I'd just run on the treadmill, pain got worse, it was cramping and sharp pains. So I didn't run for a few days, but the pain didn't go. Then I was running down the stairs (stupid) - and it popped and the pain was excruciating - I almost fell down the whole flight of stairs and broke two fingers into the bargain.
I've been resting it, but decided to just put a little pressure on it to test it, and bang, back to square one. The pain is less if I keep my foot pointed down. I know it's going to take weeks at least, the doc said a month or more.

Sure did and its VERY VERY painful. I'm not going to lie its a very painful recovery. Everything will set it off so stay off it. It will take a good week to ten days to feel somewhat better. Ice constantly (every hour) if you just did it and elevate it as much as possible. Do that for a couple of days and STAY OFF IT. Crutch everywhere for the next week as well.

Depending on how severe it is, you're going to swell like a mofo and you'll get some bruising around your ankles and feet. That's normal.

A few months ago I did it again :)

I run sprints a lot and was told the likelihood of the injury happening again were pretty high...low and behold :(

Anyway, take it from someone who's been there 2x. Ice, Ice Ice Ice and keep it elevated for the next 2 days (VERY IMPORTANT). Stay off it for the next 10 days. Its a long journey back to health if you tore it bad. The pain will go away but you'll feel the injury for the next 4-5 months (if its severe) You won't be limping, but you'll know its there.

Thanks CK. Sorry to hear it happened twice to you. I've read that that is likely, damnit. I have been icing it every hour today and kept it elevated apart from my silly mishap/experiment. I will just have to be patient.

Thanks CK. Sorry to hear it happened twice to you. I've read that that is likely, damnit. I have been icing it every hour today and kept it elevated apart from my silly mishap/experiment. I will just have to be patient.
Good luck. How you treat it these next few days is key.

I've never torn that muscle before, but back in my softball league days, we were practicing and I took off to run for a fly ball. *POP* I mean a LOUD pop noise, and I instantly went down. I tore my hamstring and ended up missing the entire softball season. It was extremely painful and takes forever to heal... and just when you think it might be healed and you can go back to exercising again? Yeah, don't. Wait and wait and wait, otherwise it will take twice as long to heal.

I've never torn that muscle before, but back in my softball league days, we were practicing and I took off to run for a fly ball. *POP* I mean a LOUD pop noise, and I instantly went down. I tore my hamstring and ended up missing the entire softball season. It was extremely painful and takes forever to heal... and just when you think it might be healed and you can go back to exercising again? Yeah, don't. Wait and wait and wait, otherwise it will take twice as long to heal.
Yes, the sound is sickening, isn't it? Hamstring- ouch!

I'm sorry to hear Tilly.

Also ...you perhaps should consider massage. That might help you.

I'm sorry to hear Tilly.

Also ...you perhaps should consider massage. That might help you.
Thank you, Skye. Yes, maybe some physio at some point too
Def make sure you have a good PT that understands YOUR needs in additi0opn to the injury. Used to be I would get treated and sent away....I started to actually treat my own injuries in conjunction with a PT and it has worked quite well.

Forum List

Back