Torchwood: Children of Earth

• Banned
I watched the whole thing on TIVO a few weeks ago. Its good and enjoyable :D

torchwood got me into Doctor Who....another interesting show.....

For me, and I suspect most, it's the other way around.

Torchwood getting you into Dr. Who is like Fairport Convention getting you into Jethro Tull. :lol:
two completely different bands.....who incidentaly came out the same year....the reason torchwood made me check out the Doctor is because i seen the episodes where Captain Jack was traveling with the Doc.....and i felt compared to the Doctor Who i remembered from the 60's and 70's,i felt this new series was much better done....i should have said....."Torchwood got me into the Latest incarnation of Doctor Who"....

I don't know if it's finished yet but I saw an episode the other night that looked like it might have been a final. I like Torchwood and this mini-series event was pretty damn good.

Dr Who - I saw the very first programme as a kid, enjoyed it ever since although I think the series lost its way with a couple of the Doctors. The current manifestation is excellent, best production and writing so far.

As for the new Doctor Who, I agree it's a lot better than the older versions. But of all the old one's, the only Doctor I ever really liked was Tom Baker. And I think it's no coincidence that both of the two new Doctors seem to be channeling his version of the character. We'll see about the new guy.

"WE WILL TAKE 10% OF YOUR CHILDREN"

The sad but true part of course being the government's planned solution. Give'em the poor kids and try to cover it up. Probably not too far off from what would really happen in that situation.

Thats what caught my attention. It reminds me of how universal healthcare will most likely work. Most will get it, those in charge will make exemptions for their families, and the poor will still get screwed as always.

I don't know if it's finished yet but I saw an episode the other night that looked like it might have been a final. I like Torchwood and this mini-series event was pretty damn good.

Dr Who - I saw the very first programme as a kid, enjoyed it ever since although I think the series lost its way with a couple of the Doctors. The current manifestation is excellent, best production and writing so far.

yea but is Torchwood coming back?.....Owen and Tosh and Lantos killed off Gwyn pregnant....Jack transports to the freighter....will it be back with an all new crew or is it over?.....i find it hard to understand those on the show with the real heavy "Accents"....is it the same for Aussies Di?....or is the "Accent" not that far off for you guys?.....the reason im asking ....i post once in a while over in a Star Trek forum and there quite a few Aussies there and 3-4 Brits...and they usually say when watching these kind of shows, that they find the "accent" of each other harder to understand than the yanks...

I hope it's coming back Harry, it's really good.

Accents - I was born in the UK and came here as a kid so I have an advantage because I can understand most accents which come from the UK. In Torchwood there's a mix of standard English, Welsh (which I've always found to be a pleasant accent - oops got to be careful - let me call it "Welsh-English") and Captain Jack's "American" accent (I thought I could understand most Americans pretty easily until I met a bloke from east Texas!).

I think Australians can handle standard English and probably most English accents from the south and south-east. I think they'd find it difficult with strong west country accents and definitely northern accents. The Welsh-English might be a bit difficult for Australians because it's relatively rapid compared to Australian-English and it has many more inflections and the stresses are different from Australian-English as well, so that might be the problem.

I'm just glad Torchwood wasn't set in Scotland :lol:

I hope it's coming back Harry, it's really good.

Accents - I was born in the UK and came here as a kid so I have an advantage because I can understand most accents which come from the UK. In Torchwood there's a mix of standard English, Welsh (which I've always found to be a pleasant accent - oops got to be careful - let me call it "Welsh-English") and Captain Jack's "American" accent (I thought I could understand most Americans pretty easily until I met a bloke from east Texas!).

I think Australians can handle standard English and probably most English accents from the south and south-east. I think they'd find it difficult with strong west country accents and definitely northern accents. The Welsh-English might be a bit difficult for Australians because it's relatively rapid compared to Australian-English and it has many more inflections and the stresses are different from Australian-English as well, so that might be the problem.

I'm just glad Torchwood wasn't set in Scotland :lol:
the Welsh-English must be the one i have trouble with cause like you say its fast....lol
i was looking at these actors bio's....the guy who plays Jack was born in the UK....and came to the US when he was like 3-4....his dad worked for Catapiller and transfered here....he then grew up here went back to the UK when he was i think it said 16-17....the guy who played Owen was born in LA ...his dad was a Prof. at UCLA....and then his family went back to the UK when he was like 5-6...

Forum List

Back